According to Whicheverhealth, Wolf Point, Montana is a small city located in the northeastern corner of the state. It is situated along the Missouri River, and is the county seat of Roosevelt County. The city has a population of just over 3,000 people and covers an area of about 2.5 square miles.
Wolf Point was first settled in 1869 by James W. Fox, who was a fur trader and trapper. He named the settlement for its location near a rocky outcrop that resembled a wolf’s head when viewed from the river below. The town grew quickly as settlers moved into the area to take advantage of its fertile soil and access to water transportation on the Missouri River. By 1882, Wolf Point had become an official post office, and by 1889 it had been incorporated as a town with a population of around 500 people.
Today, Wolf Point is home to many different industries including agriculture, retail trade, health care services, educational services, construction, manufacturing and mining. The city also serves as an important hub for transportation in northeastern Montana due to its railroad connections with other cities in the region such as Glasgow and Havre.
The main attraction in Wolf Point is Fort Peck Lake which was created by damming up part of the Missouri River during World War II to create hydroelectric power for nearby military bases and surrounding townships. Today it serves as one of Montana’s largest recreational lakes providing fishing opportunities for visitors from all over the world who come to partake in its waters full of walleye, trout and other game fish species.
For those interested in history or Native American culture there are several sites located near Wolf Point such as Fort Union Trading Post National Historic Site or Upper Sioux Agency State Park which both offer visitors insight into this important time period in American History when many tribes still lived on their ancestral lands before being forcibly removed by settlers during manifest destiny expansionism policies enacted by President Andrew Jackson during his presidency from 1829-1837.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Wolf Point also offers visitors plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation like hunting trips out on thousands acres of open prairie land or horseback riding through picturesque backcountry trails which run through some stunningly beautiful areas nearby such as Charles M Russell National Wildlife Refuge or Medicine Rocks State Park where you can find ancient rock formations created back when this part of Montana was covered by an inland sea millions years ago.
All things considered, Wolf Point offers travelers plenty to do both indoors and outdoors while also providing them with unique insights into Montanan history, culture, wildlife, recreation, industry, economics, education & more. Whether you’re looking for outdoor adventure or some interesting historical sites & attractions there’s something here for everyone.
Population: 2,663. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,623 (-1.5% change)
Males: 1,267 (47.6%), Females: 1,396 (52.4%)
Zip code: 59201
Median resident age: 36.1 years
Median household income: $27,962
Median house value: $53,400
Races in Wolf Point:
- White Non-Hispanic (55.3%)
- American Indian (42.2%)
- Two or more races (2.4%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
- Japanese (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (22.8%), Norwegian (15.0%), Irish (10.2%), French (4.9%), English (3.9%), Swedish (3.9%).
Elevation: 1997 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Wolf Point
- High school or higher: 86.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 21.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.6%
- Unemployed: 7.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 8.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wolf Point city
- Never married: 26.1%
- Now married: 51.8%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 10.9%
1.1% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -265 (-9.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Wolf Point:
- TRINITY HOSPITAL (315 KNAPP STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Wolf Point:
- POPLAR COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 34 miles; POPLAR, MT)
- MCCONE COUNTY HEALTH CENTER – CAH (about 43 miles; CIRCLE, MT)
- DANIELS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 51 miles; SCOBEY, MT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wolf Point:
- SLOULIN FLD INTL (about 140 miles; WILLISTON, ND; Abbreviation: ISN)
- SHERIDAN COUNTY (about 247 miles; SHERIDAN, WY; Abbreviation: SHR)
- BILLINGS LOGAN INTL (about 255 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Abbreviation: BIL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wolf Point:
- L M CLAYTON (about 6 miles; WOLF POINT, MT; Abbreviation: OLF)
- POPLAR (about 33 miles; POPLAR, MT; Abbreviation: 42S)
- CIRCLE TOWN COUNTY (about 47 miles; CIRCLE, MT; Abbreviation: 4U6)
WOLF POINT (320 FRONT ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wolf Point:
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BILLINGS (about 255 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Full-time enrollment: 3,105)
- BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 276 miles; SPEARFISH, SD; Full-time enrollment: 3,190)
- MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 301 miles; MINOT, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- SOUTH DAKOTA SCHOOL OF MINES AND TECHNOLOGY (about 323 miles; RAPID CITY, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,002)
- BISMARCK STATE COLLEGE (about 348 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,205)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY (about 351 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,203)
- CASPER COLLEGE (about 360 miles; CASPER, WY; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
Public high school in Wolf Point:
- WOLF POINT HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 299; Location: 213 6TH AVENUE SOUTH; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Wolf Point:
- SOUTHSIDE SCHOOL (Students: 267; Location: 415 4TH AVENUE SOUTH; Grades: PK – 03)
- NORTHSIDE SCHOOL (Students: 193; Location: 710 4TH AVENUE NORTH; Grades: 04 – 06)
- WOLF POINT 7-8 (Students: 132; Location: 213 6TH AVENUE SOUTH; Grades: 07 – 08)
- FRONTIER SCHOOL (Students: 114; Location: MT HIGHWAY 25; Grades: PK – 06)
- FRONTIER 7-8 (Students: 40; Location: MT HIGHWAY 25; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Wolf Point:
- ROOSEVELT COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $210,813; Location: 220 2ND AVE. SOUTH; 52,021 books; 610 audio materials; 220 video materials; 108 serial subscriptions)