According to watchtutorials, Wilmot, New Hampshire is a small town located in the beautiful White Mountains region of New Hampshire. The town has a population of just over 500 people, which makes it one of the smallest towns in the state. Wilmot is known for its picturesque views, rolling hills, and quaint rural atmosphere.
The town is situated near the banks of the Contoocook River and is surrounded by forests and mountains. Wilmot offers plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, kayaking, camping, and snowshoeing. There are two ski resorts nearby as well as several other attractions in the area including Whale’s Tale Water Park and Story Land amusement park.
The history of Wilmot dates back to 1749 when it was founded by settlers from Massachusetts. It was incorporated in 1764 and has remained relatively unchanged since then. The town is most well known for its involvement in the American Revolution when it served as a supply depot for General John Stark’s troops during their march to Bennington, Vermont.
Today Wilmot remains an idyllic New England village with old-fashioned charm and hospitality. The downtown area consists of a few small shops and restaurants including an ice cream stand that has been around since 1929!
According to ablogtophone, Wilmot also has several historic sites such as the Moses Gilman House which was built in 1790 by Revolutionary War veteran Moses Gilman who served under General Stark at Bennington. There is also a historical marker honoring General Stark located at his former home site on Route 10 near Union Village.
In addition to its historical sites Wilmot offers many recreational activities such as golfing at Union Village Golf Course or visiting nearby Lake Sunapee State Park for swimming or boating on Lake Sunapee itself. There are also plenty of trails for mountain biking or hiking throughout Wilmot and the surrounding areas if you’re looking for more adventurous activities! All in all Wilmot is an ideal place to live if you’re looking for peace and quiet while still having access to all kinds of outdoor recreation opportunities.
Population: 1,144. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,314 (+14.9% change)
Males: 553 (48.3%), Females: 591 (51.7%)
Median resident age: 41.6 years
Median household income: $49,605
Median house value: $141,300
Races in Wilmot:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.1%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: English (30.9%), Irish (18.7%), German (16.2%), French (9.4%), United States (6.3%), French Canadian (6.2%).
Elevation: 720 feet
For population 25 years and over in Wilmot
- High school or higher: 93.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 42.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 18.2%
- Unemployed: 2.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wilmot town
- Never married: 17.0%
- Now married: 63.4%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 3.9%
- Divorced: 14.0%
3.0% Foreign born (1.3% Europe, 0.9% North America, 0.7% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wilmot:
- NEW LONDON HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION INC (about 7 miles; NEW LONDON, NH)
- FRANKLIN REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; FRANKLIN, NH)
- ALICE PECK DAY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; LEBANON, NH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wilmot:
- MANCHESTER (about 49 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
- RUTLAND STATE (about 71 miles; RUTLAND, VT; Abbreviation: RUT)
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 81 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; Abbreviation: PSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wilmot:
- NEWFOUND VALLEY (about 15 miles; BRISTOL, NH; Abbreviation: 2N2)
- PARLIN FIELD (about 20 miles; NEWPORT, NH; Abbreviation: 2B3)
- PLYMOUTH MUNI (about 25 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; Abbreviation: 1P1)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wilmot:
- PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE (about 28 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,542)
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (about 30 miles; HANOVER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,309)
- KEENE STATE COLLEGE (about 42 miles; KEENE, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,049)
- NEW HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE (about 43 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,251)
- MOUNT WACHUSETT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; GARDNER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 61 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,660)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-LOWELL (about 69 miles; LOWELL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,373)
Library in Wilmot:
- WILMOT PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $18,645; Location: 11 NORTH WILMOT ROAD; 7,900 books; 300 audio materials; 265 video materials; 33 serial subscriptions)