According to deluxesurveillance, Willow, Alaska is a small unincorporated community located in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough of south central Alaska. It lies about 40 miles north of Anchorage and is connected to the city by the Glenn Highway. The population of Willow is estimated to be around 2,600 people, making it one of the largest unincorporated communities in Alaska.
Willow was first settled by homesteaders in 1914 and was officially named in 1917 after a nearby creek. In its early years, the area was primarily used for farming and logging, as well as some gold mining. Willow has since become a popular destination for outdoor activities such as snowmobiling, ice fishing, dog sledding, hunting and hiking. The area also hosts numerous annual events such as the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race and Willow 300 Snowmachine race.
The climate in Willow is typical of interior Alaska with short warm summers and long cold winters. The average temperature ranges from -15F to 70F throughout the year with an average snowfall of approximately 180 inches per year.
According to electronicsmatter, Willow has several amenities available to its residents and visitors including two convenience stores, a post office, several restaurants, an elementary school and a volunteer fire department. It also has several recreational facilities including three parks (Willow Creek Park, Swan Lake Park and Jack Warren Park), two public libraries (the Jack Warren Library and the Matanuska-Susitna Borough Library), a golf course (the Moose Run Golf Course) as well as numerous trails for biking or hiking.
In addition to its outdoor recreation opportunities, Willow is also known for its artisans who create wood carvings from locally harvested materials such as birch bark or spruce roots; these pieces are often sold at local markets or shipped around the world.
Overall, Willow is an ideal destination for those looking for outdoor activities combined with small-town charm and hospitality. Its close proximity to Anchorage makes it easy to access while still providing visitors with a rural Alaskan experience that could not be found anywhere else in the state.
Males: 884 (53.3%), Females: 774 (46.7%)
Zip code: 99688
Median resident age: 40.1 years
Median household income: $38,906
Median house value: $117,900
Races in Willow:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.8%)
- American Indian (6.0%)
- Two or more races (3.9%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
Ancestries: German (22.2%), Irish (14.8%), United States (12.0%), English (9.0%), Russian (5.1%), Scottish (4.5%).
Land area: 684.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Willow
- High school or higher: 82.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 11.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 52.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Willow CDP
- Never married: 27.1%
- Now married: 57.3%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 2.9%
- Divorced: 10.9%
3.5% Foreign born (2.6% Latin America, 0.8% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Willow:
- ALASKA NATIVE MEDICAL CENTER, PHS (about 41 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
- ALASKA PSYCHIATRIC INSTITUTE (about 41 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
- COLUMBIA ALASKA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 41 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Willow:
- TED STEVENS ANCHORAGE INTL (about 42 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK; Abbreviation: ANC)
- KENAI MUNI (about 120 miles; KENAI, AK; Abbreviation: ENA)
- HOMER (about 179 miles; HOMER, AK; Abbreviation: HOM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Willow:
- WILLOW (about 5 miles; WILLOW, AK; Abbreviation: UUO)
- NANCY LAKE (about 7 miles; NANCY LAKE, AK; Abbreviation: 78Z)
- BEAVER LAKE (about 19 miles; BIG LAKE, AK; Abbreviation: D71)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Willow:
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA ANCHORAGE (about 41 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK; Full-time enrollment: 9,453)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA FAIRBANKS (about 260 miles; FAIRBANKS, AK; Full-time enrollment: 5,034)
- PENINSULA COLLEGE (about 2065 miles; PORT ANGELES, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,374)
- WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 2103 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 11,889)
- WHATCOM COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 2105 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,656)
- SKAGIT VALLEY COLLEGE (about 2121 miles; MT VERNON, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,420)
- EVERGREEN STATE COLLEGE (about 2125 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,749)
Public primary/middle school in Willow:
- WILLOW ELEMENTARY (Students: 143; Location: MILE 69.5 PARKS HIGHWAY; Grades: KG – 06)
Library in Willow:
- WILLOW PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $119,970; Location: MILE 69.5 PARKS HIGHWAY; 22,439 books; 737 audio materials; 972 video materials; 94 serial subscriptions)