According to beautyphoon, Whiting, Vermont is a small rural town located in Addison County. It is situated on the eastern banks of Lake Champlain and is surrounded by rolling hills, forests and farmland. The town has a population of around 500 people and covers an area of just over 9 square miles.
The town was first settled by Revolutionary War veterans in 1791, who were granted land by the state for their service. In 1810, the first post office was established, and in 1816, the first church was built. The village was named after General Thomas Whiting who served in the Revolutionary War and later became a state senator from Addison County.
Whiting is home to several historical sites that draw visitors from all over Vermont. The Whiting Public Library opened its doors in 1837 and still stands today as a reminder of Whiting’s past. The library houses an extensive collection of books about local history as well as books about Vermont’s natural history, literature and culture. Other historic sites include the Old School House which dates back to 1845; the old Town Hall built in 1876; and Fort Cassin which was built during the War of 1812 to protect Lake Champlain from British invaders.
According to bestitude, the town also offers plenty of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy such as hiking trails along Lake Champlain, fishing spots along its shoreline, kayaking trips down its rivers or biking paths through its forests. There are also several beaches located around Whiting where visitors can swim or relax on warm summer days. During winter months, visitors can take advantage of skiing opportunities at nearby resorts like Smugglers Notch or Sugarbush Mountain Resort .
Whiting is also known for its vibrant community life with events like farmers markets occurring during summer months or fall festivals taking place during October when locals harvest their crops such as apples or corn mazes made from pumpkins! Throughout the year there are also concerts held at local venues like Town Hall Theater where local bands come together to perform for friends and family alike!
In conclusion, Whiting is a small rural town with plenty to offer both locals and visitors alike! With its rich history, outdoor activities galore and vibrant community life it’s no wonder why people keep coming back time after time.
Population: 380. Estimated population in July 2020: 410 (+7.9% change)
Males: 194 (51.1%), Females: 186 (48.9%)
Median resident age: 39.2 years
Median household income: $31,985
Median house value: $90,000
Races in Whiting:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.4%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
- Other race (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: French Canadian (20.0%), United States (14.7%), English (11.8%), French (11.6%), Irish (6.6%), German (6.3%).
Elevation: 395 feet
For population 25 years and over in Whiting
- High school or higher: 83.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.6%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Whiting town
- Never married: 23.4%
- Now married: 53.2%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 12.5%
5.5% Foreign born (3.4% North America, 1.1% Europe, 1.1% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -47 (-11.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Whiting:
- PORTER MEDICAL CENTER INC (about 10 miles; MIDDLEBURY, VT)
- MOSES-LUDINGTON HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; TICONDEROGA, NY)
- RUTLAND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; RUTLAND, VT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Whiting:
- RUTLAND STATE (about 31 miles; RUTLAND, VT; Abbreviation: RUT)
- BURLINGTON INTL (about 42 miles; BURLINGTON, VT; Abbreviation: BTV)
- FLOYD BENNETT MEMORIAL (about 46 miles; GLENS FALLS, NY; Abbreviation: GFL)
Other public-use airports nearest to Whiting:
- MIDDLEBURY STATE (about 12 miles; MIDDLEBURY, VT; Abbreviation: 6B0)
- FAIR HAVEN MUNI (about 19 miles; FAIR HAVEN, VT; Abbreviation: 1B3)
- BASIN HARBOR (about 24 miles; VERGENNES, VT; Abbreviation: B06)
Amtrak stations near Whiting:
- 14 miles: TICONDEROGA (RTE. 74 (FORT TICONDEROGA RD.)). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 20 miles: FAIR HAVEN (DEPOT & WATER STS.)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Whiting:
- MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE (about 10 miles; MIDDLEBURY, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,265)
- UNIVERSITY OF VERMONT AND STATE AGRICULTURAL COLL (about 41 miles; BURLINGTON, VT; Full-time enrollment: 8,852)
- NORWICH UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; NORTHFIELD, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,585)
- SAINT MICHAELS COLLEGE (about 44 miles; COLCHESTER, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,272)
- ADIRONDACK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 50 miles; QUEENSBURY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,182)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT PLATTSBURGH (about 60 miles; PLATTSBURGH, NY; Full-time enrollment: 5,601)
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (about 67 miles; HANOVER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,309)
Public primary/middle school in Whiting:
- WHITING VILLAGE SCHOOL (Students: 29; Location: 87 SOUTH MAIN STREET; Grades: PK – 06)