According to Fashionissupreme, Westhope, North Dakota is a small city located in the heart of the Turtle Mountains in Bottineau County. With a population of just over 1,000 people, Westhope is a tight-knit community with a rich history and culture. The city was founded in 1904 when it was discovered that the area was rich in coal and timber. In 1913, the town was officially incorporated and named after Westhope Hall, an estate located near Liverpool in England.
The town’s economy is largely based on agriculture and tourism. Farming has been an important part of the local economy since its founding and continues to be today. Corn, wheat, barley, oats, sunflowers, soybeans, canola oil and potatoes are just some of the crops grown in the area. Tourism plays an important role as well; visitors come to experience all that Westhope has to offer from its beautiful scenery to its wide variety of recreational activities such as fishing, hunting, camping and snowmobiling.
According to Harvardshoes, Westhope offers a variety of amenities for residents including a library with internet access; a community center; several churches; two banks; two restaurants; three convenience stores; two hardware stores; a grocery store; several gas stations; beauty salons/barbershops; bed & breakfasts/hotels/motels/inns; automotive repair shops/garages/service stations; car dealerships; medical clinics/dental offices/pharmacies and veterinary clinics.
The city also offers many cultural attractions such as art galleries featuring local artists’ works as well as regional traveling exhibitions throughout the year. There are also several parks located within the city limits offering visitors scenic views of lakeside vistas or lush forests full of wildlife perfect for picnics or exploring nature’s wonders on foot or by bicycle. The Turtle Mountain State Park is also nearby providing even more outdoor activities such as hiking trails and camping sites for those who wish to stay overnight or longer during their travels through this beautiful region of North Dakota.
In addition to all these wonderful amenities and attractions offered by this charming little city in North Dakota’s northwest corner – Westhope also boasts one other thing – friendly people! From its small business owners to its volunteers at church functions – everyone here takes pride in making sure their guests feel welcome no matter how long they’re staying! So if you’re looking for that small-town charm with big-city amenities then look no further than Westhope – where you’ll find yourself right at home.
Population: 533. Estimated population in July 2020: 492 (-7.7% change)
Males: 248 (46.5%), Females: 285 (53.5%)
Zip code: 58793
Median resident age: 48.0 years
Median household income: $26,964
Median house value: $23,400
Races in Westhope:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.3%)
- American Indian (1.7%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
Ancestries: Norwegian (50.7%), German (19.9%), Swedish (6.8%), Irish (6.0%), French (4.3%), Danish (3.8%).
Elevation: 1496 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Westhope
- High school or higher: 76.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.5%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 14.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Westhope city
- Never married: 21.4%
- Now married: 59.7%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 14.4%
- Divorced: 4.5%
1.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -75 (-12.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Westhope:
- ST ANDREWS HEALTH CENTER – CAH (about 43 miles; BOTTINEAU, ND)
- TRINITY ST JOSEPH’S HOSPITAL (about 53 miles; MINOT, ND)
- KENMARE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 75 miles; KENMARE, ND)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Westhope:
- MINOT AFB (about 42 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MIB)
- MINOT INTL (about 49 miles; MINOT, ND; Abbreviation: MOT)
- BISMARCK MUNI (about 149 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Abbreviation: BIS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Westhope:
- WESTHOPE MUNI (about 2 miles; WESTHOPE, ND; Abbreviation: D64)
- MOHALL MUNI (about 37 miles; MOHALL, ND; Abbreviation: HBC)
- BOTTINEAU MUNI (about 43 miles; BOTTINEAU, ND; Abbreviation: D09)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Westhope:
- MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; MINOT, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- BISMARCK STATE COLLEGE (about 144 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,205)
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY (about 149 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,203)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 282 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Full-time enrollment: 9,935)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 294 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 312 miles; FARGO, ND; Full-time enrollment: 8,836)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MOORHEAD (about 342 miles; MOORHEAD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 6,400)
Public high school in Westhope:
- WESTHOPE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 83; Location: 101 MAIN ST; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Westhope:
- WESTHOPE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 67; Location: 101 MAIN ST; Grades: PK – 06)