According to beautyphoon, Westbrook, Maine is a small city in Cumberland County located just outside of Portland. It is bordered by the Presumpscot River, which provides the city with ample recreational opportunities. The population of Westbrook is approximately 18,000 and has been steadily growing for the past decade or so.
The downtown area of Westbrook is known for its historic buildings and quaint shops. There are a variety of restaurants and cafes that make up the main street of this vibrant community. Visitors to Westbrook can enjoy a variety of activities such as kayaking along the river, biking along scenic trails, and exploring local parks. There are also several cultural attractions in the area including art galleries, museums, and theater venues.
The economy in Westbrook is largely based on retail and services with many businesses catering to both locals and tourists alike. There are also several industrial parks located within the city limits that provide employment opportunities for those looking to work in manufacturing or other industries related to technology or engineering.
Education plays an important role in Westbrook with several elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, and post-secondary institutions located within its borders. The University of Southern Maine’s Westbrook College Campus offers students access to a wide range of degree programs from associate’s degrees all the way up to doctoral degrees.
According to bestitude, Westbrook’s location makes it ideal for commuters who want easy access to Portland but don’t want to live directly in the city itself. The city is served by both Amtrak rail service as well as bus service from Concord Coach Lines providing easy access into downtown Portland or other points south such as Boston or New York City.
Overall, Westbrook offers something for everyone whether you’re looking for outdoor recreation opportunities or cultural attractions there’s something here for everyone! With its close proximity to Portland combined with its vibrant downtown area and great educational opportunities it makes an ideal place to call home.
Population: 16,142. Estimated population in July 2020: 16,108 (-0.2% change)
Males: 7,604 (47.1%), Females: 8,538 (52.9%)
Median resident age: 37.8 years
Median household income: $37,873
Median house value: $111,000
Races in Westbrook:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.1%)
- Two or more races (1.0%)
- Hispanic (0.9%)
- Black (0.9%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: English (18.9%), French (16.6%), Irish (15.7%), French Canadian (8.3%), Italian (7.2%), United States (6.7%).
Elevation: 75 feet
Land area: 16.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Westbrook
- High school or higher: 87.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Westbrook city
- Never married: 25.1%
- Now married: 52.6%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 12.2%
1.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -103 (-0.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Westbrook:
- MAINE MEDICAL CENTER (about 5 miles; PORTLAND, ME)
- NEW ENGLAND REHAB HOSPITAL OF PORTLAND (about 5 miles; PORTLAND, ME)
- SPRING HARBOR HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; SOUTH PORTLAND, ME)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Westbrook:
- PORTLAND INTL JETPORT (about 6 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Abbreviation: PWM)
- BRUNSWICK NAS (about 33 miles; BRUNSWICK, ME; Abbreviation: NHZ)
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 54 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; Abbreviation: PSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Westbrook:
- BIDDEFORD MUNI (about 18 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Abbreviation: B19)
- LIMINGTON-HARMON (about 22 miles; LIMINGTON, ME; Abbreviation: 63B)
- AUBURN/LEWISTON MUNI (about 25 miles; AUBURN/LEWISTON, ME; Abbreviation: LEW)
Amtrak stations near Westbrook:
- 6 miles: PORTLAND (100 THOMPSON POINT ROAD). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, ATM.
- 13 miles: OLD ORCHARD BEACH (11 FIRST ST.) – Seasonal Station. Services: ticket office, public payphones.
- 15 miles: SACO (130 MAIN ST.). Services: ticket office.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Westbrook:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MAINE (about 5 miles; PORTLAND, ME; Full-time enrollment: 7,381)
- SAINT JOSEPHS COLLEGE (about 16 miles; STANDISH, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,376)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW ENGLAND-UNIVERSITY CAMPUS (about 16 miles; BIDDEFORD, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 57 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT AUGUSTA (about 62 miles; AUGUSTA, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,172)
- UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AT FARMINGTON (about 70 miles; FARMINGTON, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,229)
- NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 80 miles; HAVERHILL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,388)
Public high schools in Westbrook:
- WESTBROOK HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 839; Location: 125 STROUDWATER STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- WESTBROOK REGIONAL TECHNOLOGY CTR (Location: 125 STROUDWATER STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Westbrook:
- FRED C WESCOTT SCHOOL (Students: 638; Location: 426 BRIDGE STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- PRIDES CORNER SCHOOL (Students: 348; Location: 375 PRIDE STREET; Grades: KG – 02)
- CONGIN SCHOOL (Students: 328; Location: 410 BRIDGE STREET; Grades: 03 – 05)
- SACCARAPPA SCHOOL (Students: 263; Location: 110 HUNTRESS AVENUE; Grades: PK – 02)
- OXFORD-CUMBERLAND CANAL SCHOOL (Students: 256; Location: 102 GLENWOOD AVENUE; Grades: 03 – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Westbrook:
- KOALA CHILD KARE (Students: 9; Location: 969 SPRING ST BOX 1068; Grades: KG – KG)
Libraries in Westbrook:
- WESTBROOK – WALKER MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $351,672; Location: 800 MAIN STREET; 40,236 books; 786 audio materials; 2,182 video materials; 112 serial subscriptions)
- WESTBROOK – WARREN MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $70,661; Location: 479 MAIN STREET; 30,298 books; 846 audio materials; 1,115 video materials; 110 serial subscriptions)