According to IAMACCEPTED, West Burlington, Iowa is a small city located in the southeastern corner of Des Moines County. It is situated on the banks of the Mississippi River and serves as a gateway to both Iowa and Illinois. With a population of just over 3,000 people, West Burlington is known for its quiet charm and friendly atmosphere.
The city was founded in 1837 by Abner Hunt and was originally named Hunt’s Point. In 1853 it was renamed West Burlington to distinguish itself from nearby East Burlington. Since then, it has been an important part of Des Moines County’s history and culture.
West Burlington has a strong economy based primarily on manufacturing, retail, and tourism. The city is home to several businesses including Kwik Star convenience stores, Mitchell Oil Company, and several other small businesses that help drive the local economy. There are also numerous restaurants in town including Whitey’s Ice Cream Parlor which serves up delicious ice cream treats year-round.
The city also offers plenty of outdoor activities for visitors and locals alike to enjoy. The West Burlington Nature Center offers walking trails along the banks of the Mississippi River as well as wildlife observation areas where you can view birds, waterfowl, foxes, deer, beavers and other wildlife species native to the area. There are also several golf courses within driving distance of West Burlington such as Spirit Hollow Golf Course which offers an 18-hole championship course with stunning views of the Mississippi River valley below.
According to Ezinesports, West Burlington also offers many cultural attractions such as art galleries featuring local artists’ work or historical sites like The Drake House Museum which chronicles life in early 19th century Iowa through artifacts collected from around Des Moines County. Other cultural attractions include performances by local theater groups at Sondheim Center for Performing Arts or live music at one of several venues throughout town such as Wildwood Park or Tama Tap Room & Grill which features live music almost every night during summer months.
Overall West Burlington provides visitors with an enjoyable experience with its charming atmosphere combined with its rich history and culture that make it a great place to visit for those looking for something different from their usual vacation spots.
Population: 3,161. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,231 (+2.2% change)
Males: 1,521 (48.1%), Females: 1,640 (51.9%)
Des Moines County
Zip code: 52655
Median resident age: 40.9 years
Median household income: $38,958
Median house value: $64,300
Races in West Burlington:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.6%)
- Hispanic (3.1%)
- Black (2.5%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (30.8%), Irish (15.2%), United States (11.3%), English (8.8%), Swedish (7.7%), Dutch (4.7%).
Elevation: 699 feet
Land area: 5.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in West Burlington
- High school or higher: 89.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 13.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in West Burlington city
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 51.4%
- Separated: 2.8%
- Widowed: 10.0%
- Divorced: 14.1%
4.2% Foreign born (2.1% Europe, 1.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +81 (+2.6%).
Hospital/medical center in West Burlington:
- GREAT RIVER MEDICAL CENTER (1221 SOUTH GEAR AVENUE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near West Burlington:
- FORT MADISON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; FORT MADISON, IA)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; CARTHAGE, IL)
- HENRY COUNTY HEALTH CENTER (about 31 miles; MOUNT PLEASANT, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to West Burlington:
- SOUTHEAST IOWA REGIONAL (about 5 miles; BURLINGTON, IA; Abbreviation: BRL)
- QUINCY REGIONAL-BALDWIN FIELD (about 61 miles; QUINCY, IL; Abbreviation: UIN)
- QUAD CITY INTL (about 63 miles; MOLINE, IL; Abbreviation: MLI)
Other public-use airports nearest to West Burlington:
- FORT MADISON MUNI (about 16 miles; FORT MADISON, IA; Abbreviation: FSW)
- MOUNT PLEASANT MUNI (about 25 miles; MOUNT PLEASANT, IA; Abbreviation: MPZ)
- CARTHAGE (about 29 miles; CARTHAGE, IL; Abbreviation: I48)
Amtrak stations near West Burlington:
- 5 miles: ALDERSHOT (BURLINGTON, 1199 WATERDOWN RD.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
- 5 miles: BURLINGTON (300 S. MAIN ST.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 18 miles: FORT MADISON (1601 20TH ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in West Burlington:
- SOUTHEASTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,867; Location: 1500 WEST AGENCY ROAD; Public; Website: www.secc.cc.ia.us)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to West Burlington:
- WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; MACOMB, IL; Full-time enrollment: 11,096)
- AUGUSTANA COLLEGE (about 62 miles; ROCK ISLAND, IL; Full-time enrollment: 2,220)
- EASTERN IOWA COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 64 miles; DAVENPORT, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,180)
- UNIVERSITY OF IOWA (about 64 miles; IOWA CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 24,766)
- SAINT AMBROSE UNIVERSITY (about 65 miles; DAVENPORT, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,310)
- BLACK HAWK COLLEGE (about 66 miles; MOLINE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 3,891)
- INDIAN HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 88 miles; OTTUMWA, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,744)
Public high school in West Burlington:
- WEST BURLINGTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 237; Location: 408 W VAN WEISS BLVD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in West Burlington:
- WEST BURLINGTON ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 363; Location: 545 RAMSEY ST; Grades: KG – 06)
- WEST BURLINGTON JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 121; Location: 408 W VAN WEISS BLVD; Grades: 07 – 08)