According to homethodology.com, Wells, New York is a small hamlet located in Hamilton County in the Adirondack State Park. With a population of just over 500, Wells is a tight-knit community that has been around since the late 1800s. The town is known for its picturesque mountain views and laid-back atmosphere.
The main street of Wells is lined with historic buildings, including the Wells Town Hall and the post office building which dates back to 1887. There are also several restaurants, including the popular Black Bear Bar & Grill which serves up classic American fare. Residents can also find a variety of unique shops and boutiques along Main Street, as well as an old-fashioned general store which has been in operation since 1910.
According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Wells is home to several parks and recreation areas, including the popular John Brown Farm State Historic Site where visitors can explore trails and picnic areas. Other outdoor activities include fishing at nearby White Lake or hiking along one of the many trails in the area. For those who prefer to stay inside, there are plenty of places to explore such as the Wells Historical Society Museum or the Wild Center Nature Museum which features interactive exhibits about local wildlife and conservation efforts.
In addition to its natural beauty and recreational activities, Wells offers plenty of other attractions that draw visitors from near and far each year. The town hosts an annual music festival called “Music on Main” which features local artists performing live music on Main Street. Every summer, locals gather for “The Great Adirondack Garage Sale” where people can shop for antiques and collectibles from all over New York State. During winter months, visitors come to enjoy skiing at nearby Gore Mountain Ski Resort or snowshoeing through some of the area’s trails.
No matter what time of year you visit Wells, you’re sure to find something fun to do while enjoying its charming atmosphere and friendly people! From its historic buildings to its outdoor recreation opportunities, this small town truly has something for everyone.
Population: 737. Estimated population in July 2020: 701 (-4.9% change)
Males: 365 (49.5%), Females: 372 (50.5%)
Zip code: 12190
Median resident age: 45.8 years
Median household income: $29,107
Median house value: $70,600
Races in Wells:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.5%)
- American Indian (2.2%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- Black (0.5%)
Ancestries: Irish (21.2%), German (18.5%), English (18.3%), Dutch (11.7%), French (11.4%), Italian (6.4%).
For population 25 years and over in Wells
- High school or higher: 81.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wells town
- Never married: 16.4%
- Now married: 56.8%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 11.5%
- Divorced: 13.2%
2.4% Foreign born (2.2% Europe, 0.3% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wells:
- NATHAN LITTAUER HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; GLOVERSVILLE, NY)
- AMSTERDAM MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; AMSTERDAM, NY)
- ST MARYS HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; AMSTERDAM, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wells:
- FLOYD BENNETT MEMORIAL (about 48 miles; GLENS FALLS, NY; Abbreviation: GFL)
- ALBANY INTL (about 57 miles; ALBANY, NY; Abbreviation: ALB)
- ONEIDA COUNTY (about 78 miles; UTICA, NY; Abbreviation: UCA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wells:
- PISECO (about 17 miles; PISECO, NY; Abbreviation: K09)
- PLATEAU SKY RANCH (about 19 miles; EDINBURG, NY; Abbreviation: 1F2)
- FULTON COUNTY (about 29 miles; JOHNSTOWN, NY; Abbreviation: NY0)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wells:
- SUNY EMPIRE STATE COLLEGE (about 42 miles; SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,499)
- SKIDMORE COLLEGE (about 42 miles; SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,317)
- ADIRONDACK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; QUEENSBURY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,182)
- SCHENECTADY COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; SCHENECTADY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,316)
- UNION COLLEGE (about 48 miles; SCHENECTADY, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,315)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF AGRIC AND TECHN AT COBLESKILL (about 51 miles; COBLESKILL, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,208)
- HERKIMER COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 54 miles; HERKIMER, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
Public primary/middle school in Wells:
- WELLS SCHOOL (Students: 180; Location: ROUTE 30 – P O BOX 3; Grades: PK – 12)