According to Harvardshoes, Waterloo, South Carolina is a small town in Laurens County. It is located just a few miles south of the larger town of Clinton, and just off of Interstate 385. The population is around 1,000 people, making it one of the smallest towns in the state. Waterloo was founded in 1829 and was originally called “New Waterloo” due to its proximity to the Battle of Waterloo in Belgium.
The town has a rich history that is still evident today. Its downtown area features several historic buildings that were built between 1840 and 1910. These include the old post office, churches, stores, and homes from this era. The town also has several parks and trails for visitors to explore as well as many restaurants for all types of tastes.
Waterloo is home to several notable attractions such as the South Carolina Military Museum and Museum of Laurens County History which are both housed in historic buildings on Main Street. For those looking for outdoor recreation there are numerous parks including Lake Rabon Park which offers swimming, fishing, camping, boating and more. Also nearby is Musgrove Mill State Historic Site which includes a museum detailing the Revolutionary War battle that took place there in 1780.
According to Health-beauty-guides, Waterloo also hosts many annual events throughout the year such as its Fourth of July celebration which includes fireworks and live music performances; an Arts & Crafts Festival; an Oktoberfest celebration; an Annual Christmas Parade; a Memorial Day Parade; and much more!
The people who call Waterloo home are proud of their small-town roots but also take pride in being part of a larger community that includes surrounding towns like Clinton, Gray Court, Mountville and Cross Hill. They work together to make sure their town remains vibrant with new businesses opening up regularly and activities for all ages throughout the year!
Overall Waterloo may be small but it packs quite a punch when it comes to history, culture, outdoor recreation options and more! This charming little town offers something for everyone whether you’re looking for some quiet time or want to get out and explore all that this area has to offer.
Population: 203. Estimated population in July 2020: 204 (+0.5% change)
Males: 107 (52.7%), Females: 96 (47.3%)
Zip code: 29384
Median resident age: 32.6 years
Median household income: $27,917
Median house value: $83,000
Races in Waterloo:
- Black (56.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (42.4%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
Ancestries: United States (9.9%), German (7.4%), Italian (3.0%), Norwegian (2.5%), Dutch (2.0%), English (2.0%).
Elevation: 620 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Waterloo
- High school or higher: 66.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 11.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Waterloo town
- Never married: 29.2%
- Now married: 40.3%
- Separated: 9.0%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 16.0%
0.5% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +73 (+56.2%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Waterloo:
- SELF REGIONAL HEALTHCARE (about 15 miles; GREENWOOD, SC)
- LAURENS COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; CLINTON, SC)
- ABBEVILLE COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; ABBEVILLE, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Waterloo:
- DONALDSON CENTER (about 35 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Abbreviation: GYH)
- GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG INTL (about 39 miles; GREER, SC; Abbreviation: GSP)
- ANDERSON RGNL (about 46 miles; ANDERSON, SC; Abbreviation: AND)
Other public-use airports nearest to Waterloo:
- GREENWOOD COUNTY (about 11 miles; GREENWOOD, SC; Abbreviation: GRD)
- LAURENS COUNTY (about 14 miles; LAURENS, SC; Abbreviation: 34A)
- NEWBERRY COUNTY (about 30 miles; NEWBERRY, SC; Abbreviation: 27J)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Waterloo:
- LANDER UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; Greenwood, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,429)
- PIEDMONT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 15 miles; GREENWOOD, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,406)
- GREENVILLE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 38 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 6,157)
- BOB JONES UNIVERSITY (about 42 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,577)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT SPARTANBURG (about 44 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,041)
- FURMAN UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; GREENVILLE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,915)
- SPARTANBURG TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 53 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,086)
Public primary/middle school in Waterloo:
- WATERLOO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 320; Location: 10457 HIGHWAY 221 SOUTH; Grades: PK – 05)