According to beautyphoon, Wallis is a small rural town located in Austin County, Texas. It lies about 30 miles west of Houston and is situated along State Highway 36. The population was 1,252 as of the 2010 census.
The area around Wallis was settled by German immigrants before the Civil War, and many of their descendants still live in the area today. The town itself was founded in 1874 with the completion of the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railway, which brought new settlers to the area. The name Wallis came from one of the railroad officials who had been involved in securing funds for construction of the line.
According to bestitude, Wallis is a quaint little town with a rich history and culture that has been preserved over time. There are several historic buildings throughout town including churches, homes, businesses, and other structures that date back to its early days as a railroad settlement. The downtown area has also been revitalized over recent years and now offers several shops and restaurants for visitors to explore.
The climate in Wallis is typical for this part of Texas – hot summers and mild winters. Temperatures can range from lows around 50°F during winter months to highs above 100°F during summer months. Rainfall is fairly consistent throughout most of the year but tends to be higher during springtime months due to thunderstorms that often occur in this region of Texas.
Wallis residents take great pride in their community and there are many annual events held throughout the year that bring people from all over together to celebrate this unique little town’s heritage and culture. Some popular events include an Independence Day celebration each July 4th, an annual Christmas parade each December, as well as various festivals throughout the year such as Oktoberfest which takes place each October at nearby Schulenburg Park.
Wallis is also home to numerous recreational facilities including golf courses, tennis courts, swimming pools, parks, playgrounds and more – making it a great place for families who enjoy spending time outdoors or simply taking it easy while exploring what this charming little town has to offer.
Population: 1,172. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,271 (+8.4% change)
Males: 573 (48.9%), Females: 599 (51.1%)
Zip code: 77485
Median resident age: 34.8 years
Median household income: $36,328
Median house value: $62,100
Races in Wallis:
- White Non-Hispanic (61.7%)
- Hispanic (23.4%)
- Black (13.7%)
- Other race (10.9%)
- Two or more races (3.3%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Czech (23.2%), German (18.6%), United States (9.0%), Irish (6.3%), French (3.9%), Polish (3.2%).
Elevation: 131 feet
Land area: 1.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Wallis
- High school or higher: 75.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.1%
- Unemployed: 4.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 35.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wallis city
- Never married: 25.0%
- Now married: 57.5%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 9.5%
4.0% Foreign born (3.7% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +106 (+9.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Wallis:
- RICE MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; EAGLE LAKE, TX)
- MEMORIAL HERMANN KATY HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; KATY, TX)
- POLLY RYON HOSP AUTHORITY (about 23 miles; RICHMOND, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wallis:
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 56 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 56 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- BRAZORIA COUNTY (about 56 miles; ANGLETON/LAKE JACKSON, TX; Abbreviation: LBX)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wallis:
- WARD AIRPARK (about 13 miles; BEASLEY, TX; Abbreviation: 5T0)
- HAPPY LANDINGS (about 16 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: 2H5)
- MIKESKA FIELD (about 17 miles; BROOKSHIRE, TX; Abbreviation: 12R)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wallis:
- WHARTON COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 23 miles; WHARTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,124)
- PRAIRIE VIEW A & M UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; PRAIRIE VIEW, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,823)
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- BLINN COLLEGE (about 45 miles; BRENHAM, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,448)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 46 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE CENTER (about 46 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
Public high school in Wallis:
- BRAZOS H S (Students: 269; Location: 6815 GUYLER ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Wallis:
- BRAZOS EL (Students: 375; Location: 6815 GUYLER ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- BRAZOS MIDDLE (Students: 215; Location: 6815 GUYLER ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Wallis:
- AUSTIN COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $100,783; Location: 6730 RAILROAD ST; 22,531 books; 398 audio materials; 1,469 video materials; 35 serial subscriptions)