According to IAMACCEPTED, Wallingford, Connecticut is a suburban town located in New Haven County. It was originally part of the area known as “The Great Meadow”, which was bought by settlers from New Haven in 1667. Wallingford is a quintessential New England town with its charming Main Street and historic homes.
The town center of Wallingford is a picturesque example of small-town America, with its brick sidewalks and quaint shops. The clock tower at the center of town is an iconic symbol of Wallingford’s history. In addition to the shops and restaurants, there are several historic landmarks located around the downtown area including Meriden Hall and The Wallingford Historical Society Museum.
According to Ezinesports, Wallingford is home to many parks and recreational areas such as Lyman Meadows State Park, Choate Rosemary Hall, Quinnipiac River State Park, and more. These parks offer plenty of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy such as biking trails, hiking paths, fishing spots, wildlife watching sites, swimming beaches and picnic areas.
Education plays an important role in Wallingford’s culture with several schools within the town limits including Choate Rosemary Hall (a private college preparatory school), Lyman Hall High School (a public high school), Cook Hill Elementary School (a public primary school), Sheehan High School (a public secondary school) and more.
Wallingford offers plenty of cultural attractions for visitors to enjoy such as the Paul Mellon Arts Center where they can attend concerts or take art classes; The Paul Mellon Arts Center also hosts events throughout the year like film screenings or art exhibitions. There are also several annual festivals that take place in town like the Apple Harvest Festival which celebrates local produce or the Wallingford Craft Beer Festival which showcases craft brews from all over Connecticut.
In addition to all these cultural attractions there are plenty of dining options available in town ranging from fine dining restaurants to casual eateries like pizzerias or ice cream parlors; there are also several bars available for those looking for a night out on the town.
Wallin gfords proximity to New Haven makes it an ideal destination for day trips or weekend getaways; visitors can take advantage of all that this vibrant city has to offer while still enjoying all that small-town life has to offer in Wallingford.
Population: 43,026. Estimated population in July 2020: 44,736 (+4.0% change)
Males: 20,732 (48.2%), Females: 22,294 (51.8%)
New Haven County
Median resident age: 39.1 years
Median household income: $57,308
Median house value: $161,900
Races in Wallingford:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.7%)
- Hispanic (4.5%)
- Other race (1.2%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Black (1.0%)
- Asian Indian (0.6%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: Italian (27.2%), Irish (21.3%), Polish (12.1%), English (11.4%), German (11.2%), French (5.7%).
Elevation: 150 feet
For population 25 years and over in Wallingford
- High school or higher: 86.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 28.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.8%
- Unemployed: 2.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Wallingford town
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 58.9%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 9.0%
7.2% Foreign born (3.1% Europe, 1.8% Asia, 1.5% Latin America).
Hospitals/medical centers in Wallingford:
- GAYLORD HOSPITAL INC (GAYLORD FARM RD)
- MASONIC HOME AND HOSPITAL (22 MASONIC AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Wallingford:
- MIDSTATE MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; MERIDEN, CT)
- CONNECTICUT MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (about 10 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT)
- WATERBURY HOSPITAL HEALTH CENTER (about 10 miles; WATERBURY, CT)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Wallingford:
- TWEED-NEW HAVEN (about 15 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Abbreviation: HVN)
- HARTFORD-BRAINARD (about 23 miles; HARTFORD, CT; Abbreviation: HFD)
- IGOR I SIKORSKY MEMORIAL (about 30 miles; BRIDGEPORT, CT; Abbreviation: BDR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Wallingford:
- HUMMINGBIRD (about 3 miles; WALLINGFORD, CT; Abbreviation: 4C3)
- MERIDEN MARKHAM MUNI (about 3 miles; MERIDEN, CT; Abbreviation: MMK)
- ROBERTSON FIELD (about 16 miles; PLAINVILLE, CT; Abbreviation: 4B8)
WALLINGFORD (37 HALL AVE.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Wallingford:
- QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; HAMDEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 5,836)
- YALE UNIVERSITY (about 10 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 11,011)
- GATEWAY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 13 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,100)
- WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; MIDDLETOWN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 2,993)
- SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 14 miles; NEW HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,808)
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; NEW BRITAIN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 8,967)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAVEN (about 17 miles; WEST HAVEN, CT; Full-time enrollment: 3,081)
Public high schools in Wallingford:
- LYMAN HALL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,167; Location: 70 POND HILL RD.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- MARK T. SHEEHAN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 976; Location: 142 HOPE HILL RD.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- SPECIAL ALTERNATIVE MIDDLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 7; Location: 75 PARKER ST.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Wallingford:
- CHOATE ROSEMARY HALL (Students: 859; Location: 333 CHRISTIAN STREET POB 788; Grades: 9 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Wallingford:
- JAMES H. MORAN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 869; Location: 141 HOPE HILL RD.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- DAG HAMMARSKJOLD SCHOOL (Students: 842; Location: 106 POND HILL RD.; Grades: 06 – 08)
- YALESVILLE SCHOOL (Students: 591; Location: 415 CHURCH ST.; Grades: KG – 05)
- COOK HILL SCHOOL (Students: 460; Location: 44 SCHOOLHOUSE RD.; Grades: PK – 05)
- MOSES Y. BEACH SCHOOL (Students: 393; Location: 304 NORTH MAIN ST.; Grades: PK – 05)
- EVARTS C. STEVENS SCHOOL (Students: 386; Location: 18 KONDRACKI LN.; Grades: KG – 05)
- POND HILL SCHOOL (Students: 381; Location: 299 POND HILL RD.; Grades: KG – 05)
- HIGHLAND SCHOOL (Students: 381; Location: 200 HIGHLAND AVE.; Grades: KG – 05)
- PARKER FARMS SCHOOL (Students: 372; Location: 30 PARKER FARMS RD.; Grades: KG – 05)
- ROCK HILL SCHOOL (Students: 329; Location: 911 DURHAM RD.; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Wallingford:
- HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL (Students: 271; Location: 11 N WHITTLESEY AVENUE; Grades: KG – 8)
- HIGH ROAD STUDENT LEARNING CEN (Students: 37; Location: 29 VILLAGE LANE; Grades: UG – UG)
- BUILDING BLOCKS LEARNING CTR (Students: 28; Location: 911 NORTH FARMS ROAD; Grades: KG – KG)