Types of U.S. Visa

US visas can be divided into two categories: non-immigrant for temporary stay and immigrant for permanent residence. The first one has a lot of subcategories and nuances with design, the second one has its own strict rules and requirements. There are the following types of non-immigrant visas:

  • for business and leisure trips B1/B2;
  • working H, L, O, P, Q, R;
  • student M, F;
  • transit and for crew members C1/D;
  • for participants of exchange programs J;
  • for housekeeping staff A3, G5, B1;
  • for media workers and journalists I.

Business and travel

The B1 visa is for business travellers, the B2 visa is for tourists and medical travelers. In practice, combined B1 / B2 are more often issued, single and multiple for up to 3 years.

Of fundamental importance for the consul are not only documents, but also the answers of the applicant at the interview.

  • TOPPHARMACYSCHOOLS: Geography and climate of country United States, including traditions, cuisine and drinks.

An approximate formula for success is confidence and clarity of testimony, healthy patriotism, plus a hefty package of papers confirming ties with the homeland, previous travel experience and the purpose of the upcoming trip (from certificates of income and property to business correspondence related to the program).


You can work in the US without immigrant status by issuing one of the non-immigrant visas for a maximum period of 2 years: H1 for highly qualified professionals, L for those who are temporarily transferred to US units, P for representatives of the entertainment industry and athletes, Q for participants in international cultural exchange programs, R for religious figures and O for those with extraordinary abilities. In the list of documents – a petition in the form I-129, approved by the Citizenship and Immigration Services prior to application. Proof of qualifications will not be superfluous: resumes, diplomas, letters of recommendation, etc.


The F visa is issued to students enrolled in private schools, colleges and universities in the United States, as well as those who are going to learn English as part of various programs. The M visa is intended for persons entering the country for the purpose of non-academic or vocational training, and for those who plan to combine tourism with studies on a reduced program (less than 18 hours per week), a B2 visa is sufficient. At the interview, you need to have an approved Form I-20 from a graduate school and proof of payment of SEVIS – a student fee in the amount of 180-200 USD. The maximum duration of a student visa is 1 year. The prices on the page are for February 2022.

Transit and crew

A C visa is required for travelers traveling through the United States to other countries, a D visa is required for crew members of ships or aircraft serviced in the United States. The consul needs to provide tickets and visas of the countries of destination or documents confirming work on the ship. The maximum term is 2 years.

For exchange program participants

Specialists in the field of culture, science and education – students, interns, school teachers and university professors, researchers and participants in the Russian-American partnership programs – apply for a J visa for up to 3 years. To do this, you must provide the approved form DS-2019 and standard documents: old passports, certificates of property and income, correspondence about the exchange program, etc.

If the program is sponsored by the US government (indicated by the initial letter G in its number), you do not need to pay an application fee. Otherwise, an I-901 SEVIS fee is also required.

For home caregivers

Butlers, chauffeurs, maids, cooks and nannies receive visas depending on who their future employer is: diplomat with an A1/A2 visa – A3 visa required, international employee with a G visa – G5 visa required, US citizen or nonimmigrant visa holder – B1. The list of required documents includes a copy of the employer’s passport or visa, as well as a contract drawn up in accordance with all the rules and its signed copy. The maximum term is 3 years.

Applicants A3 and G5 are exempt from the fee, for B1 you need to pay the standard 160 USD.

For media workers and journalists

The I visa is issued to foreign reporters, editors, film crews entering the United States for professional purposes, but for photographers who do not receive payment for their activities in the country, B1 is sufficient. The employer must provide a letter stating the name, position, purpose and duration of the trip.

Visas are issued mainly single-entry, for 3 months, but for long business trips – multiple annual ones.

Immigrant visas

Applying for an immigrant visa is an application to stay in the United States and subsequently obtain citizenship. Typically, the process is initiated by a family member, a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, or an employer who plans to hire an immigrant for one of the permitted positions. They are the ones who file the I-130 petition with the Citizenship and Immigration Services. The applicant will have to pass a medical examination and a standard interview. The USCIS immigrant fee is $220.

Types of U.S. Visa