According to IAMACCEPTED, Truman, Minnesota is a small city located in Martin County in the state of Minnesota. With a population of around 1,800 people, this small city is known for its historic charm and friendly atmosphere.
The town was first established in 1856 and has been growing ever since. The name “Truman” was chosen as a tribute to President Harry S Truman who visited the area during his 1948 campaign tour. The city quickly grew and soon became a popular spot for visitors looking to enjoy some peace and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of larger cities.
Today, Truman is known for its historic architecture, with many buildings dating back to the early 1900s still standing today. One of the most iconic buildings in town is the old train station which still stands today as an important reminder of the area’s past. Other popular sites include local churches such as St Mary’s Catholic Church, which was built in 1888, and Trinity Lutheran Church which was built in 1890.
In addition to its historical attractions, Truman also offers plenty of activities for visitors to enjoy. The local golf course provides plenty of opportunities for avid golfers to practice their skills while enjoying some fresh air and spectacular views. There are also plenty of parks located throughout town, including Memorial Park which contains a large playground area perfect for children or just taking a leisurely stroll through nature’s beauty.
According to Ezinesports, the city also hosts several annual events throughout the year that bring locals together such as the Truman Days Festival which features live music performances along with food vendors and other activities all within walking distance from downtown Truman. Truman also has a thriving arts scene with multiple galleries showcasing local talent along with regular art classes available for those interested in learning more about art-making techniques or just want to explore their creative side!
Overall, Truman is an incredibly charming town that offers something special for everyone who visits it! From its historic architecture to its natural beauty, there’s no shortage of things to see and do when visiting this small but lively city.
Population: 1,259. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,201 (-4.6% change)
Males: 583 (46.3%), Females: 676 (53.7%)
Zip code: 56088
Median resident age: 44.4 years
Median household income: $35,000
Median house value: $52,700
Races in Truman:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
- Hispanic (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (60.0%), Norwegian (18.7%), Swedish (7.4%), English (6.8%), Irish (6.3%), Polish (2.6%).
Elevation: 1110 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Truman
- High school or higher: 77.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 15.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Truman city
- Never married: 19.2%
- Now married: 60.3%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 14.1%
- Divorced: 5.0%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -29 (-2.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Truman:
- FAIRMONT COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; FAIRMONT, MN)
- MADELIA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; MADELIA, MN)
- ST JAMES HEALTH SERVICES (about 18 miles; ST JAMES, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Truman:
- FORT DODGE REGIONAL (about 90 miles; FORT DODGE, IA; Abbreviation: FOD)
- MASON CITY MUNI (about 91 miles; MASON CITY, IA; Abbreviation: MCW)
- MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL INTL/WOLD-CHAMBERLAIN/ (about 111 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Abbreviation: MSP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Truman:
- ST JAMES MUNI (about 14 miles; ST JAMES, MN; Abbreviation: JYG)
- FAIRMONT MUNI (about 14 miles; FAIRMONT, MN; Abbreviation: FRM)
- BLUE EARTH MUNI (about 30 miles; BLUE EARTH, MN; Abbreviation: SBU)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Truman:
- SOUTH CENTRAL TECHNICAL COLLEGE-MANKATO (about 37 miles; NORTH MANKATO, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,186)
- MINNESOTA STATE UNVERSITY-MANKATO (about 38 miles; MANKATO, MN; Full-time enrollment: 11,210)
- GUSTAVUS ADOLPHUS COLLEGE (about 47 miles; ST PETER, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,355)
- IOWA CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 93 miles; FT DODGE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,807)
- BUENA VISTA UNIVERSITY (about 97 miles; STORM LAKE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,524)
- NORTH IOWA AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 98 miles; MASON CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,161)
- SAINT OLAF COLLEGE (about 98 miles; NORTHFIELD, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,968)
Public high school in Truman:
- TRUMAN SEC. (Students: 184; Location: 401 E. 1ST. ST. S.; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Truman:
- TRUMAN EL. (Students: 194; Location: 401 E. 1ST ST. S.; Grades: KG – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Truman:
- ST. PAUL’S LUTHERAN SCHOOL (Students: 75; Location: 114 EAST FOURTH ST NORTH; Grades: PK – 8)