According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Triangle, Virginia is a census-designated place located in Prince William County, Virginia. It is situated about 25 miles southwest of Washington D.C., and it is part of the Washington metropolitan area. The population of Triangle was estimated to be 6,829 in 2019.
The town has its origins in the colonial period when it was part of the Northern Neck Proprietary which was granted by King Charles II to seven men in 1649. The town grew slowly until the late 1800s when it became a popular spot for wealthy Washingtonians to build summer homes. During this time, many large estates were built along the Occoquan River and Potomac Creek, as well as along the main roads leading out of town.
Today, Triangle is known for its rural character and natural beauty – it is surrounded by farmlands and forests, with many streams and creeks running through the region. There are several parks and preserves located nearby including Prince William Forest Park and Occoquan Regional Park which offer scenic views of nature as well as opportunities for outdoor recreation such as hiking, biking and fishing.
According to Topbbacolleges, Triangle has a number of historic sites including Belmont Plantation which dates back to 1790; Occoquan Historic District which includes several 18th century buildings; Mount Airy Plantation which was built in 1817; Brentsville Historic District with its 19th century courthouse; as well as several Civil War battlefields such as Manassas National Battlefield Park and Bristoe Station Battlefield Heritage Park.
The town also has a vibrant commercial district that includes restaurants, shops, banks and other businesses that cater to both local residents and visitors alike. There are also several annual events held throughout the year such as the Triangle Day Parade & Festival held every May where residents come together to celebrate their community spirit while enjoying music, food vendors, carnival rides and more!
In addition to its history and natural beauty, Triangle offers residents an excellent quality of life with an array of amenities including schools (both public & private), churches, libraries, recreation centers & parks (including two public pools), art galleries/museums/theaters/concerts venues (such as Hylton Performing Arts Center) plus shopping centers & malls (including Potomac Mills Outlet Mall). All these features make Triangle an attractive place for people looking for a safe & peaceful place to live or visit within easy reach of Washington D.C., making this small town one of Virginia’s hidden gems.
Males: 2,780 (50.5%), Females: 2,720 (49.5%)
Prince William County
Zip code: 22172
Median resident age: 30.0 years
Median household income: $38,844
Median house value: $134,800
Races in Triangle:
- White Non-Hispanic (58.1%)
- Black (28.3%)
- Hispanic (7.4%)
- Other race (3.6%)
- Two or more races (3.5%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Filipino (0.8%)
- Korean (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (10.8%), United States (9.6%), Irish (9.3%), English (9.3%), Italian (4.5%), Polish (3.8%).
Elevation: 130 feet
Land area: 2.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Triangle
- High school or higher: 80.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.8%
- Unemployed: 6.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 34.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Triangle CDP
- Never married: 28.2%
- Now married: 50.5%
- Separated: 7.1%
- Widowed: 5.3%
- Divorced: 8.9%
7.6% Foreign born (3.4% Latin America, 2.6% Asia, 1.1% Africa).
Hospitals/medical centers near Triangle:
- POTOMAC HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; WOODBRIDGE, VA)
- PRINCE WILLIAM HOSP (about 18 miles; MANASSAS, VA)
- MARY WASHINGTON HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Triangle:
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 28 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: IAD)
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 29 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 37 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; Abbreviation: ADW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Triangle:
- STAFFORD REGIONAL (about 15 miles; STAFFORD, VA; Abbreviation: RMN)
- MANASSAS REGIONAL/HARRY P. DAVIS FIELD (about 17 miles; MANASSAS, VA; Abbreviation: HEF)
- WHITMAN STRIP (about 19 miles; MANASSAS, VA; Abbreviation: 0V5)
Amtrak stations near Triangle:
- 4 miles: QUANTICO (QUNATICO, RAILROAD AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: WOODBRIDGE (1040 EXPRESS WAY). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 13 miles: LORTON (AUTO-TRAIN) (LORTON, 8006 LORTON RD.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Triangle:
- MARY WASHINGTON COLLEGE (about 20 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,731)
- GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; FAIRFAX, VA; Full-time enrollment: 16,564)
- NORTHERN VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 21 miles; ANNANDALE, VA; Full-time enrollment: 19,406)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND (about 24 miles; LA PLATA, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,439)
- MARYMOUNT UNIVERSITY (about 28 miles; ARLINGTON, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,479)
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 16,045)
- AMERICAN UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 8,859)
Public primary/middle schools in Triangle:
- GRAHAM PARK MIDDLE (Students: 1,257; Location: 3613 GRAHAM PARK RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- TRIANGLE ELEM. (Students: 511; Location: 3615 LIONSFIELD RD; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Triangle:
- ST FRANCIS OF ASSISI SCHOOL (Students: 356; Location: 18825 FULLER HGTS ROAD; Grades: PK – 8)
- STAR OF BETHLEHEM CHRISTIAN AC (Students: 62; Location: P.O. BOX 409; Grades: PK – 8)