According to foodezine, Trapper Creek, Alaska is a small rural community located in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough of south-central Alaska. It is situated at the confluence of two creeks – Trapper Creek and Peters Creek – and lies at the base of the Chugach Mountains.
The area around Trapper Creek was home to Dena’ina Athabascans long before it was settled by non-Native people in the early 1900s. The town was officially founded in 1919 and named after Trapper Creek, which runs through it.
Today, Trapper Creek is a small but vibrant community with a population of around 500 people. The town has several businesses, including a post office, general store, gas station and several restaurants and bars. There are also a few churches in town, as well as a library and museum.
The climate in Trapper Creek is subarctic with cool summers and cold winters; temperatures can reach as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit during winter months. Snowfall averages about 60 inches per year but can be much higher depending on elevation; nearby Hatcher Pass often receives more than 200 inches of snow each year!
Outdoor recreation abounds in Trapper Creek; there are many trails for hiking, biking, snowmobiling and cross-country skiing throughout the area. Fishing is popular on both Peters Creek and Trapper Creeks; anglers can find salmon, trout and grayling here. In the winter months visitors can enjoy snowshoeing or dog sledding on nearby trails or take part in an ice fishing tournament hosted by one of the local lodges!
According to fun-wiki, Trapper Creek also hosts several festivals throughout the year such as “Trap Fest” (an annual music festival), “Peters Days” (a celebration of local history) or “Christmas on Main Street” (an annual holiday event). These events provide an opportunity for locals to come together to celebrate their culture while allowing visitors to experience true Alaskan hospitality!
Trapper Creek is truly an authentic Alaskan experience – from its pristine wilderness to its friendly locals – that should not be missed! Whether you are looking for outdoor adventure or just want to relax among stunning scenery this small town has something for everyone.
Males: 232 (54.8%), Females: 191 (45.2%)
Zip code: 99683
Median resident age: 44.1 years
Median household income: $27,031
Median house value: $47,500
Races in Trapper Creek:
- White Non-Hispanic (86.8%)
- American Indian (11.3%)
- Two or more races (3.3%)
- Hispanic (1.2%)
Ancestries: German (7.8%), Irish (7.3%), English (7.1%), United States (5.7%), Norwegian (4.0%), Welsh (2.8%).
Land area: 364.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Trapper Creek
- High school or higher: 93.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 8.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Trapper Creek CDP
- Never married: 13.1%
- Now married: 52.2%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 9.1%
- Divorced: 23.9%
1.4% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Trapper Creek:
- ALASKA NATIVE MEDICAL CENTER, PHS (about 85 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
- ALASKA PSYCHIATRIC INSTITUTE (about 85 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
- COLUMBIA ALASKA REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 85 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Trapper Creek:
- TED STEVENS ANCHORAGE INTL (about 83 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK; Abbreviation: ANC)
- KENAI MUNI (about 135 miles; KENAI, AK; Abbreviation: ENA)
- HOMER (about 200 miles; HOMER, AK; Abbreviation: HOM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Trapper Creek:
- TALKEETNA (about 19 miles; TALKEETNA, AK; Abbreviation: TKA)
- WILLOW (about 44 miles; WILLOW, AK; Abbreviation: UUO)
- NANCY LAKE (about 51 miles; NANCY LAKE, AK; Abbreviation: 78Z)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Trapper Creek:
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA ANCHORAGE (about 85 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK; Full-time enrollment: 9,453)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA FAIRBANKS (about 248 miles; FAIRBANKS, AK; Full-time enrollment: 5,034)
- PENINSULA COLLEGE (about 2104 miles; PORT ANGELES, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,374)
- WESTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 2141 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 11,889)
- WHATCOM COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 2144 miles; BELLINGHAM, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,656)
- SKAGIT VALLEY COLLEGE (about 2159 miles; MT VERNON, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,420)
- EVERGREEN STATE COLLEGE (about 2164 miles; OLYMPIA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,749)
Public primary/middle school in Trapper Creek:
- TRAPPER CREEK ELEMENTARY (Students: 34; Location: MILE 2.5 PETERSVILLE ROAD; Grades: KG – 07)
Library in Trapper Creek:
- TRAPPER CREEK LIBRARY ASSOCIATION (Operating income: $41,462; Location: MILE 115 PARKS HIGHWAY; 8,525 books; 492 audio materials; 346 video materials; 34 serial subscriptions)