According to foodezine, Touchet, Washington is a small unincorporated community located in the southeastern corner of the state. It is part of the Walla Walla Valley AVA and lies along the Touchet River, which provides stunning views and ample opportunities for recreation. The town has a population of less than 400 people and is situated amongst rolling hills and wide open spaces.
The area was first inhabited by Native Americans, who used the river for fishing and hunting. In 1855, it was officially established as a trading post called Fort Nez Perce by fur traders from Fort Walla Walla. The military outpost was later abandoned in 1858, but settlers soon followed. The town was officially named Touchet after Chief Touchet of the Walla Walla tribe in 1893.
Today, Touchet is home to an array of small businesses including restaurants, wineries, farms, ranches, and more. It is also home to several historic sites such as Fort Nez Perce National Historic Site and Pioneer Cemetery State Park. Visitors can also explore nearby Lake Umatilla or take a scenic drive down historic Highway 12 to explore other parts of the region.
According to electronicsmatter, Touchet’s abundant outdoor activities provide plenty of ways to explore its natural beauty. Fishing enthusiasts can take advantage of stocked trout ponds or head out onto the river for bass and catfish fishing trips. Hiking trails weave through lush forests while bike paths offer an enjoyable way to get around town or explore nearby villages like Prescott or Lowden Heights.
The local climate offers mild summers with temperatures averaging in the mid-70s during July and August while winters are cold but rarely severe with temperatures rarely dropping below 20 degrees Fahrenheit during January and February. Annual precipitation ranges from 16 inches on average with most rain falling between November through April with some snowfall occasionally occurring during December-February months as well as occasional thunderstorms throughout summer months.
From its colorful history to its abundance of recreational activities, Touchet has something for everyone looking for a quiet retreat away from it all or an exciting adventure in nature’s playground! Whether you’re looking for a relaxing afternoon on one of its many riverside trails or an adrenaline-fueled excursion into nearby hillsides; Touchet will provide you with all you need.
Males: 205 (51.8%), Females: 191 (48.2%)
Walla Walla County
Zip code: 99360
Median resident age: 33.6 years
Median household income: $37,500
Median house value: $91,900
Races in Touchet:
- White Non-Hispanic (81.6%)
- Hispanic (15.7%)
- Other race (4.3%)
- American Indian (2.8%)
- Two or more races (2.3%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (20.2%), Irish (9.6%), English (9.3%), Dutch (4.5%), Scotch-Irish (4.3%), French (3.5%).
Elevation: 443 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Touchet
- High school or higher: 78.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.8%
- Unemployed: 6.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Touchet CDP
- Never married: 21.0%
- Now married: 65.5%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 8.3%
10.4% Foreign born (8.8% Latin America, 1.5% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Touchet:
- ST MARY MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA)
- WALLA WALLA GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA)
- EASTERN OREGON PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 27 miles; PENDLETON, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Touchet:
- EASTERN OREGON REGIONAL AT PENDLETON (about 27 miles; PENDLETON, OR; Abbreviation: PDT)
- WALLA WALLA REGIONAL (about 27 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Abbreviation: ALW)
- TRI-CITIES (about 35 miles; PASCO, WA; Abbreviation: PSC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Touchet:
- MARTIN FIELD (about 18 miles; COLLEGE PLACE, WA; Abbreviation: S95)
- LOWER MONUMENTAL STATE (about 37 miles; KAHLOTUS, WA; Abbreviation: W09)
- VISTA FIELD (about 39 miles; KENNEWICK, WA; Abbreviation: S98)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Touchet:
- WALLA WALLA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 23 miles; WALLA WALLA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,812)
- COLUMBIA BASIN COLLEGE (about 34 miles; PASCO, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,529)
- EASTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 64 miles; LA GRANDE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,192)
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 90 miles; PULLMAN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 18,110)
- LEWIS-CLARK STATE COLLEGE (about 120 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,213)
- EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 123 miles; CHENEY, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,852)
- SPOKANE FALLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 137 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 6,284)
Public primary/middle school in Touchet:
- TOUCHET ELEM & HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 294; Location: 90 CHAMPION STREET; Grades: KG – 12)