According to Whicheverhealth, Tonalea, Arizona is a small rural community located in the heart of the Navajo Nation in Coconino County. The population of Tonalea is estimated to be around 600 people, most of whom are Native American.
The area surrounding Tonalea is home to some of the most stunning scenery that can be found in Arizona. The land is painted with vibrant red rocks, lush green vegetation and breathtaking views of the San Francisco Peaks. These mountains form a backdrop for the town and provide an incredible opportunity for outdoor recreation.
The town itself has a unique culture and history that dates back hundreds of years to when the Navajo first settled in this area. Tonalea is known for its traditional Navajo lifestyle and customs, which are still practiced today by many members of the community.
In addition to its rich cultural heritage, Tonalea also boasts a strong economic base that supports local businesses and provides employment opportunities to residents. The majority of businesses in Tonalea are service-oriented, including restaurants, convenience stores, gas stations and grocery stores. There are also several small-scale farms throughout the area that produce eggs, vegetables and other agricultural products for sale both locally and regionally.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Tonalea also offers an array of recreational activities for visitors to enjoy. From hiking trails to camping sites, there’s something for everyone here! There are several scenic overlooks located throughout town where visitors can take in stunning views of the San Francisco Peaks or just relax with a picnic lunch or dinner overlooking beautiful Red Rock Country.
The town also hosts several annual events each year such as rodeos, powwows and festivals celebrating traditional Native American culture and arts such as basket weaving or pottery making demonstrations from local artisans. These events offer visitors an opportunity to learn more about traditional Navajo lifestyle while enjoying fun activities with family members or friends!
In conclusion, Tonalea is a unique small town located within Arizona’s beautiful Red Rock Country that offers visitors an unforgettable experience full of amazing landscapes, traditional cultural experiences and plenty of recreational activities! With its vibrant community spirit and stunning natural beauty it’s no wonder why so many people choose to call it home.
Males: 1,867 (49.9%), Females: 1,873 (50.1%)
Zip code: 85742
Median resident age: 39.0 years
Median household income: $57,136
Median house value: $165,700
Races in Tortolita:
- White Non-Hispanic (83.9%)
- Hispanic (12.3%)
- Other race (2.6%)
- Two or more races (2.5%)
- American Indian (1.8%)
- Black (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (21.5%), Irish (16.0%), English (12.8%), Italian (6.7%), United States (4.6%), Swedish (4.0%).
Elevation: 2690 feet
Land area: 11.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Tortolita
- High school or higher: 92.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 36.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.1%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tortolita CDP
- Never married: 22.8%
- Now married: 62.1%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 4.1%
- Divorced: 10.5%
4.8% Foreign born (1.6% Latin America, 1.4% Asia, 1.2% Europe, 0.6% North America).
Hospitals/medical centers near Tortolita:
- NORTHWEST MEDICAL CENTER (about 5 miles; TUCSON, AZ)
- SONORA BEHAVIORAL HEALTH (about 7 miles; TUCSON, AZ)
- TUCSON HEART HOSPITAL (about 7 miles; TUCSON, AZ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Tortolita:
- PINAL AIRPARK (about 20 miles; MARANA, AZ; Abbreviation: MZJ)
- DAVIS-MONTHAN AFB (about 22 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Abbreviation: DMA)
- TUCSON INTL (about 23 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Abbreviation: TUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Tortolita:
- MARANA NORTHWEST REGIONAL (about 12 miles; MARANA, AZ; Abbreviation: AVQ)
- RYAN FIELD (about 21 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Abbreviation: RYN)
- SAN MANUEL (about 33 miles; SAN MANUEL, AZ; Abbreviation: E77)
Amtrak station near Tortolita:
- 14 miles: TUCSON (400 E. TOOLE ST.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tortolita:
- UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA (about 14 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 29,915)
- PIMA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 18 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 14,177)
- CENTRAL ARIZONA COLLEGE (about 51 miles; COOLIDGE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,333)
- CHANDLER/GILBERT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 83 miles; CHANDLER, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,990)
- MESA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 89 miles; MESA, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 11,928)
- SCOTTSDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 93 miles; SCOTTSDALE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 5,345)
- RIO SALADO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 93 miles; TEMPE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 4,472)