According to Topbbacolleges, Tiverton is a town located in Newport County, Rhode Island. It is situated on the east side of Narragansett Bay, between Little Compton and Portsmouth. The population of Tiverton was estimated to be 15,780 in 2019.
The town was originally part of Plymouth Colony, and was incorporated in 1694 as a separate town. The name “Tiverton” is believed to have been derived from Twyford, England.
The primary industries in Tiverton are tourism and fishing. The town is home to many popular beaches and recreational areas, including Fogland Beach, Grinnell’s Beach, and Grinnell’s Island. In addition to its beaches and recreational areas, Tiverton also boasts several historic sites such as the Tiverton Four Corners Historic District and the John Cooke House (built in 1720).
According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Tiverton is known for its natural beauty and offers many opportunities for outdoor activities such as fishing, sailing, kayaking and canoeing on the Sakonnet River or Narragansett Bay; hiking or biking on the William Cohanzick Trail; exploring the numerous parks; or simply relaxing at one of its beautiful beaches.
The town offers plenty of shopping options with several retail stores located throughout Tiverton including antique shops, art galleries, clothing stores and specialty shops. There are also several restaurants offering a variety of cuisines ranging from Italian to seafood.
Tiverton offers an array of activities for all ages including family-friendly events like Fourth of July fireworks displays at Fogland Beach or concerts at Grinnell’s Beach during summer months; sports competitions such as softball tournaments held by the local Little League team; educational programs offered by local schools; or cultural festivals like Portuguese Feast Days held each summer in honor of Saint Anthony’s feast day.
Residents enjoy many community events throughout the year including holiday parades like Santa Claus Lane Parade held each December; seasonal farmers markets with locally grown produce; art exhibitions at various galleries around town; outdoor movie nights hosted by local businesses; or community outreach programs like the Adopt-A-Park program which encourages volunteers to help maintain parks around town.
Overall, Tiverton is a great place to live with plenty of opportunities for fun family activities year round! From its beautiful beaches to its historic sites it has something for everyone.
Population: 15,260. Estimated population in July 2020: 15,336 (+0.5% change)
Males: 7,429 (48.7%), Females: 7,831 (51.3%)
Median resident age: 40.8 years
Median household income: $49,977
Median house value: $144,400
Races in Tiverton:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.6%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: Portuguese (31.3%), Irish (16.3%), French (14.4%), English (14.3%), French Canadian (8.5%), Italian (6.5%).
Elevation: 182 feet
Land area: 4.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Tiverton
- High school or higher: 79.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.3%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tiverton town
- Never married: 21.1%
- Now married: 61.8%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 7.3%
4.1% Foreign born (3.6% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +901 (+6.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Tiverton:
- DR JOHN C CORRIGAN MENTAL HEALTH CTR (about 7 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
- SOUTHCOAST HOSPITAL GROUP INC (about 7 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
- ST ANNES HOSPITAL CORPORATION (about 12 miles; FALL RIVER, MA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Tiverton:
- THEODORE FRANCIS GREEN STATE (about 16 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Abbreviation: PVD)
- MARTHAS VINEYARD (about 46 miles; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; Abbreviation: MVY)
- GENERAL EDWARD LAWRENCE LOGAN INTL (about 50 miles; BOSTON, MA; Abbreviation: BOS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Tiverton:
- NEWPORT STATE (about 11 miles; NEWPORT, RI; Abbreviation: UUU)
- QUONSET STATE (about 15 miles; NORTH KINGSTOWN, RI; Abbreviation: OQU)
- NEW BEDFORD REGIONAL (about 18 miles; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Abbreviation: EWB)
Amtrak station near Tiverton:
- 19 miles: PROVIDENCE (100 GASPEE ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tiverton:
- ROGER WILLIAMS UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; BRISTOL, RI; Full-time enrollment: 3,007)
- BRISTOL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; FALL RIVER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,497)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-DARTMOUTH (about 15 miles; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Full-time enrollment: 6,071)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF RHODE ISLAND (about 18 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,650)
- NEW ENGLAND INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 18 miles; WARWICK, RI; Full-time enrollment: 2,419)
- BROWN UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; PROVIDENCE, RI; Full-time enrollment: 7,460)
- JOHNSON & WALES UNIVERSITY (about 19 miles; Providence, RI; Full-time enrollment: 8,218)
Public high school in Tiverton:
- TIVERTON HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 722; Location: 100 NORTH BRAYTON ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Tiverton:
- TIVERTON MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 750; Location: 10 QUINTAL DRIVE; Grades: 05 – 08)
- POCASSET SCHOOL (Students: 276; Location: 242 MAIN ROAD; Grades: KG – 04)
- RANGER SCHOOL (Students: 251; Location: 1185 STAFFORD ROAD; Grades: KG – 04)
- FORT BARTON SCHOOL (Students: 225; Location: 99 LAWTON AVENUE; Grades: KG – 04)
Library in Tiverton:
- TIVERTON LIBRARY SERVICES (Operating income: $336,446; Location: 238 HIGHLAND ROAD; 41,348 books; 1,442 audio materials; 1,487 video materials; 65 serial subscriptions)