According to Ezinesports, Thatcher is a small town in Graham County, Arizona located just east of Safford. It is named after the English statesman and former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. The town has a population of just over 5,000 residents, making it one of the smallest towns in Arizona.
The town is home to Eastern Arizona College, which offers two-year degrees and vocational certificates. Thatcher also has an elementary school and a high school. There are several churches in the area as well as a library, post office and several restaurants.
The climate in Thatcher is semi-arid with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature year round is around 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 Celsius). Winters tend to be mild with temperatures rarely dropping below freezing for more than a few days at a time. Summers can be hot with temperatures reaching up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit (43 Celsius).
According to Fashionissupreme, there are several parks in Thatcher including the Thatcher Town Park which features playgrounds, picnic areas, walking trails and sports fields; Graham County Fairgrounds which hosts rodeos, fairs and other events; Desert Garden Park which features a walking path; and Hal Mason Memorial Park which offers fishing access to San Jose Creek.
One of the most popular attractions near Thatcher is Roper Lake State Park which features camping sites as well as hiking trails around the lake. The park also offers swimming areas, boat rentals, kayak tours and more.
The economy of Thatcher is largely based on agriculture with many local farms producing corn, cotton, melons and other crops for sale throughout Arizona. There are also several businesses located in the town such as medical offices, banks and insurance companies providing jobs for locals.
Thatcher may be small but it’s full of charm! With its beautiful parks, great schools and friendly people it’s easy to see why so many people call this small town home.
Population: 4,022. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,121 (+2.5% change)
Males: 1,882 (46.8%), Females: 2,140 (53.2%)
Zip code: 85552
Median resident age: 24.7 years
Median household income: $32,412
Median house value: $89,200
Races in Thatcher:
- White Non-Hispanic (76.8%)
- Hispanic (19.5%)
- Other race (9.9%)
- American Indian (2.3%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- Black (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: English (24.6%), German (9.8%), Irish (6.2%), United States (5.5%), Scottish (4.3%), Italian (2.3%).
Land area: 4.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Thatcher
- High school or higher: 85.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 22.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.3%
- Unemployed: 8.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Thatcher town
- Never married: 35.5%
- Now married: 51.5%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 7.1%
2.2% Foreign born (1.6% Latin America, 0.4% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +264 (+7.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Thatcher:
- MT GRAHAM REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; SAFFORD, AZ)
- MORENCI HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; MORENCI, AZ)
- NORTHERN COCHISE COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 34 miles; WILLCOX, AZ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Thatcher:
- DAVIS-MONTHAN AFB (about 90 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Abbreviation: DMA)
- SIERRA VISTA MUNI-LIBBY AAF (about 95 miles; FORT HUACHUCA SIERRA VISTA, AZ; Abbreviation: FHU)
- TUCSON INTL (about 96 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Abbreviation: TUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Thatcher:
- FLYING J RANCH (about 8 miles; PIMA, AZ; Abbreviation: E37)
- SAFFORD REGIONAL (about 10 miles; SAFFORD, AZ; Abbreviation: SAD)
- GREENLEE COUNTY (about 40 miles; CLIFTON/MORENCI, AZ; Abbreviation: CFT)
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Thatcher:
- EASTERN ARIZONA COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 3,085; Location: 3714 W. CHURCH ST; Public; Website: www.EasternArizona.Com)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Thatcher:
- PIMA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 90 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 14,177)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA (about 92 miles; TUCSON, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 29,915)
- COCHISE COLLEGE (about 101 miles; DOUGLAS, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,585)
- CENTRAL ARIZONA COLLEGE (about 123 miles; COOLIDGE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,333)
- CHANDLER/GILBERT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 147 miles; CHANDLER, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,990)
- NORTHLAND PIONEER COLLEGE (about 147 miles; HOLBROOK, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 2,177)
- SCOTTSDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 151 miles; SCOTTSDALE, AZ; Full-time enrollment: 5,345)
Public high schools in Thatcher:
- SAFFORD HIGH SCHOOL SATELLITE CAMPUS (Students: 635; Location: 622 COLLEGE AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- THATCHER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 391; Location: 601 NORTH 3RD AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- THATCHER HIGH SCHOOL SATELLITE CAMPUS (Students: 202; Location: 622 COLLEGE AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PIMA HIGH SCHOOL SATELLITE CAMPUS (Students: 165; Location: 662 COLLEGE AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
- FT. THOMAS HIGH SCHOOL SATELLITE CAMPUS (Students: 164; Location: 622 COLLEGE AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Thatcher:
- JACK DALEY PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 287; Location: 3615 SECOND ST.; Grades: KG – 03)
- THATCHER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 256; Location: P O BOX 610; Grades: 04 – 06)
- THATCHER MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 216; Location: 1300 NORTH 4TH AVE.; Grades: 07 – 08)
Private primary/middle school in Thatcher:
- SAFFORD SDA SCHOOL (Students: 7; Location: 527 FIRST AVENUE; Grades: 2 – 5)