According to deluxesurveillance, Ten Sleep, Wyoming is a small town located in the Bighorn Basin of north-central Wyoming. With a population of just under 400 people, it is one of the smallest towns in the state. Despite its size, Ten Sleep has a lot to offer visitors and residents alike.
Nestled in the foothills of the Bighorn Mountains, Ten Sleep is known for its spectacular scenery and outdoor recreation opportunities. The area is dotted with beautiful ranches and farms, as well as amazing wildlife such as deer and antelope. There are several hiking trails in the area that offer stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. One popular trail is called “The Maze” which follows an old railroad grade that was built in 1887.
Ten Sleep also boasts some excellent fishing opportunities. The nearby Big Horn River offers trout fishing for anglers of all skill levels. Other nearby rivers such as Shell Creek and Ten Sleep Creek are also home to impressive trout populations. For those looking for something a little different, Ten Sleep also has some great rock climbing routes that offer amazing views from atop huge boulders and cliffs.
The town itself features several charming shops and restaurants that provide visitors with a taste of small-town life in Wyoming. There are also two museums located within walking distance from downtown – the Washakie Museum of History & Culture which focuses on local history, and The Western Heritage Center which showcases artifacts related to western culture such as rodeo equipment, Native American artifacts, firearms, saddles and much more!
According to electronicsmatter, Ten Sleep is also home to many local events throughout the year including rodeos, barbecues, parades and more! In addition to these activities there are several festivals held annually such as “Cowboy Days” which celebrates local ranching culture with live music, craftsmen demonstrations and more; or “Art In The Park” which showcases local artists displaying their work outdoors at various parks throughout town; or even “Ten Sleep Days” which celebrates the history of Ten Sleep with activities like pie eating contests or wagon rides!
Overall Ten Sleep is an amazing place to visit or live with its stunning scenery, outdoor recreation opportunities, local events & festivals – all set against a backdrop of western culture & heritage – making it one of Wyoming’s most unique towns.
Population: 304. Estimated population in July 2020: 315 (+3.6% change)
Males: 150 (49.3%), Females: 154 (50.7%)
Zip code: 82442
Median resident age: 48.0 years
Median household income: $24,250
Median house value: $58,100
Races in Ten Sleep:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.7%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (27.0%), English (21.7%), Irish (15.1%), Norwegian (5.3%), Scotch-Irish (4.3%), United States (4.3%).
Land area: 0.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Ten Sleep
- High school or higher: 89.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.8%
- Unemployed: 8.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Ten Sleep town
- Never married: 16.6%
- Now married: 45.3%
- Separated: 3.6%
- Widowed: 14.2%
- Divorced: 20.2%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -6 (-1.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Ten Sleep:
- WASHAKIE MEDICAL CENTER (about 37 miles; WORLAND, WY)
- SOUTH BIG HORN COUNTY HOSPITAL-CAH (about 52 miles; GREYBULL, WY)
- JOHNSON CO MEMORIAL HOSP (about 57 miles; BUFFALO, WY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Ten Sleep:
- WORLAND MUNI (about 36 miles; WORLAND, WY; Abbreviation: WRL)
- SHERIDAN COUNTY (about 61 miles; SHERIDAN, WY; Abbreviation: SHR)
- RIVERTON REGIONAL (about 97 miles; RIVERTON, WY; Abbreviation: RIW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Ten Sleep:
- SOUTH BIG HORN COUNTY (about 54 miles; GREYBULL, WY; Abbreviation: GEY)
- JOHNSON COUNTY (about 56 miles; BUFFALO, WY; Abbreviation: BYG)
- HOT SPRINGS CO-THERMOPOLIS MUNI (about 59 miles; THERMOPOLIS, WY; Abbreviation: THP)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Ten Sleep:
- CASPER COLLEGE (about 112 miles; CASPER, WY; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BILLINGS (about 138 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Full-time enrollment: 3,105)
- UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING (about 197 miles; LARAMIE, WY; Full-time enrollment: 9,665)
- BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 250 miles; SPEARFISH, SD; Full-time enrollment: 3,190)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BOZEMAN (about 263 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Full-time enrollment: 10,380)
- COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 282 miles; Fort Collins, CO; Full-time enrollment: 22,684)
- SOUTH DAKOTA SCHOOL OF MINES AND TECHNOLOGY (about 293 miles; RAPID CITY, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,002)
Public high school in Ten Sleep:
- TEN SLEEP HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 35; Location: 242 CEDAR STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Ten Sleep:
- TEN SLEEP ELEMENTARY (Students: 37; Location: 242 CEDAR STREET; Grades: KG – 06)
- TEN SLEEP MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 17; Location: 242 CEDAR STREET; Grades: 07 – 08)