According to watchtutorials, Sutherland, Nebraska is a small town located in Lincoln County. It is located about 30 miles west of North Platte and about 25 miles east of Ogallala. With a population of just over 500 people, Sutherland is one of the smallest towns in the state.
The town was founded in 1885 by German immigrants who were looking for a place to settle down and start their own farms. The name Sutherland comes from the nearby creek that runs through the area, which was named after James Sutherland, a Scottish settler who came to America in 1845.
Sutherland is home to many businesses and attractions that attract visitors from all around the region. The town has two banks, an auto repair shop, several restaurants and bars, a grocery store, a hardware store, and even an ice cream parlor!
The town also has several parks and recreational activities that are popular with local residents. The Sutherland Community Park features baseball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, playgrounds, picnic areas and more! There are also several golf courses nearby for those looking for some outdoor fun.
According to ablogtophone, Sutherland also hosts several annual events throughout the year such as the Summerfest celebration in June and the Fall Festival in October. These events bring out hundreds of people from all around to enjoy music, food vendors and other entertainment.
The town also offers plenty of opportunities for outdoor activities such as fishing at Lake McConaughy or exploring the surrounding countryside on horseback or ATV trails. In addition to these activities there are also plenty of historical sites located around Sutherland such as old churches or abandoned homesteads that can be explored by visitors who are interested in learning more about Nebraska’s past.
Overall Sutherland is a great place for those who want to escape from their busy lives for a while or just enjoy some peace and quiet away from it all. With its small-town charm and friendly atmosphere it’s easy to see why so many people choose to call this little Nebraska town home.
Population: 1,129. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,223 (+8.3% change)
Males: 554 (49.1%), Females: 575 (50.9%)
Zip code: 69165
Median resident age: 40.4 years
Median household income: $39,583
Median house value: $71,600
Races in Sutherland:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.4%)
- Hispanic (5.0%)
- Other race (3.3%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (33.3%), Irish (13.0%), English (12.6%), Swedish (5.1%), United States (4.6%), French (3.5%).
Elevation: 2958 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sutherland
- High school or higher: 88.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 2.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sutherland village
- Never married: 16.7%
- Now married: 64.0%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 7.9%
- Divorced: 10.7%
1.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +78 (+7.4%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sutherland:
- GREAT PLAINS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 25 miles; NORTH PLATTE, NE)
- OGALLALA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 40 miles; OGALLALA, NE)
- PERKINS COUNTY HEALTH SERVICES (about 49 miles; GRANT, NE)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sutherland:
- NORTH PLATTE RGNL AIRPORT LEE BIRD FIELD (about 31 miles; NORTH PLATTE, NE; Abbreviation: LBF)
- MC COOK MUNI (about 76 miles; MC COOK, NE; Abbreviation: MCK)
- RENNER FLD /GOODLAND MUNI/ (about 130 miles; GOODLAND, KS; Abbreviation: GLD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sutherland:
- WALLACE MUNI (about 24 miles; WALLACE, NE; Abbreviation: 64V)
- SEARLE FIELD (about 45 miles; OGALLALA, NE; Abbreviation: OGA)
- GRANT MUNI (about 46 miles; GRANT, NE; Abbreviation: GGF)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sutherland:
- UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA AT KEARNEY (about 144 miles; KEARNEY, NE; Full-time enrollment: 5,588)
- CHADRON STATE COLLEGE (about 173 miles; CHADRON, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,144)
- CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 183 miles; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,730)
- FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 200 miles; HAYS, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,572)
- METROPOLITAN STATE COLLEGE OF DENVER (about 248 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 12,938)
- UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO AT DENVER (about 248 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 8,839)
- UNIVERSITY OF DENVER (about 248 miles; DENVER, CO; Full-time enrollment: 7,592)
Public high school in Sutherland:
- SUTHERLAND HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 188; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sutherland:
- SUTHERLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 197; Grades: PK – 06)
- CENTER VALLEY PUBLIC SCHOOL (Students: 6; Grades: PK – 06)
Library in Sutherland:
- SUTHERLAND PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $42,446; Location: 900 2ND STREET; 13,331 books; 266 audio materials; 14 video materials; 4 serial subscriptions)