According to beautyphoon, Sunflower, Mississippi is a small rural town located in the heart of the Mississippi Delta. This area is known for its rich soil and lush vegetation. It’s home to some of the most productive cotton farms in the United States.
Sunflower has a population of just over 1,000 people and is located on the banks of the Sunflower River. The town has a warm, friendly atmosphere that draws visitors from all over the country. It’s also home to some popular local attractions such as the Sunflower Museum and the historic Sunflower Theater.
The town itself is quite small but it has plenty to offer visitors. There are several local restaurants that serve up delicious Southern-style cuisine including fried catfish, hush puppies, and sweet potato pie. Visitors can also enjoy shopping at one of several quaint boutiques or browsing through antiques stores for unique finds.
The main attraction in town is undoubtedly its breath-taking scenery and outdoor activities like fishing, canoeing, and camping along the Sunflower River. There are also several state parks nearby that offer excellent hiking trails for those who are looking for an outdoor adventure.
According to bestitude, Sunflower’s residents are proud of their home and take great pride in preserving its history and culture. Every year they host an annual festival which celebrates all things Delta-related with music, dancing, food, art displays, and more! This event brings people from all over who come to enjoy a day full of fun activities around town while learning about Sunflower’s rich heritage.
Overall, Sunflower is a charming small town with plenty to offer visitors who appreciate its unique culture and natural beauty! Whether you’re looking for outdoor activities or just want to soak up some Southern hospitality -Sunflower is definitely worth a visit.
Population: 696. Estimated population in July 2020: 642 (-7.8% change)
Males: 334 (48.0%), Females: 362 (52.0%)
Zip code: 38778
Median resident age: 28.6 years
Median household income: $21,842
Median house value: $46,700
Races in Sunflower:
- Black (71.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (27.7%)
Ancestries: United States (6.9%), Irish (1.9%), Subsaharan African (1.4%), Arab (1.1%).
Land area: 0.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sunflower
- High school or higher: 49.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 6.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sunflower town
- Never married: 38.8%
- Now married: 38.3%
- Separated: 5.4%
- Widowed: 12.3%
- Divorced: 5.2%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -27 (-3.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sunflower:
- SOUTH SUNFLOWER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; INDIANOLA, MS)
- NORTH SUNFLOWER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; RULEVILLE, MS)
- BOLIVAR MEDICAL CENTER (about 19 miles; CLEVELAND, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sunflower:
- MID DELTA RGNL (about 32 miles; GREENVILLE, MS; Abbreviation: GLH)
- UNIVERSITY-OXFORD (about 91 miles; OXFORD, MS; Abbreviation: UOX)
- JACKSON INTERNATIONAL (about 92 miles; JACKSON, MS; Abbreviation: JAN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sunflower:
- INDIANOLA MUNI (about 10 miles; INDIANOLA, MS; Abbreviation: IDL)
- RULEVILLE-DREW (about 16 miles; DREW, MS; Abbreviation: M37)
- CLEVELAND MUNI (about 21 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Abbreviation: RNV)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sunflower:
- MISSISSIPPI DELTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; MOORHEAD, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; ITTA BENA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,297)
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 21 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,288)
- HOLMES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; GOODMAN, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,485)
- NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 84 miles; SENATOBIA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,842)
- MISSISSIPPI COLLEGE (about 86 miles; CLINTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,904)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 89 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
Public primary/middle school in Sunflower:
- EAST SUNFLOWER SCHOOL (Students: 215; Location: 212 EAST CLAIBORNE; Grades: KG – 06)