According to Harvardshoes, Suncook is a small town in Merrimack County, New Hampshire. It is located in the southern part of the state, just north of Concord. With a population of just over 2,000 people, Suncook is a quaint and charming village that offers its residents a quiet and peaceful lifestyle.
The town was first settled in 1730 and named after the Suncook River which runs through it. The river was originally called “Sunkook” by Native Americans, meaning “stony place”. The town has been known by several other names throughout its history including Suncook Village, Suncook Mills and Suncook Station.
According to Health-beauty-guides, Suncook is home to several historic buildings including the old Suncook Academy building which was built in 1814 as a schoolhouse and now serves as a museum. Other notable buildings include the old Congregational Church (built in 1868), a Victorian-style library (built in 1885) and an old grist mill (built in 1821).
The town has two main streets: Main Street and Prospect Street. Main Street is lined with businesses such as restaurants, antique shops, stores selling local goods and services such as auto repair shops. Prospect Street boasts lovely homes with well-manicured lawns that are typical of small towns like Suncook. The town also has two parks: Johnson Park which features playground equipment for children to enjoy and Stevens Park where locals can relax on its grassy fields or take advantage of its picnic area or basketball court.
Suncook offers many recreational activities such as fishing at Lake Massabesic or hiking along trails at Bear Brook State Park located nearby. There are also several golf courses around town for those looking to hit some balls on the green. For those looking for more adventure, there are whitewater rafting trips available down the Merrimack River or skiing trips up at nearby Loon Mountain Resort during the winter months.
In addition to outdoor recreation opportunities, Suncook also hosts several annual events such as its Memorial Day Parade or Fourth of July Fireworks Display held at Johnson Park each year that attract locals from all over New England to celebrate together!
Overall, Suncook is an ideal place for anyone looking for small-town charm coupled with lots of outdoor recreation opportunities close by! Its rich history combined with modern amenities make it an attractive place to live or visit.
Males: 2,578 (48.1%), Females: 2,784 (51.9%)
Median resident age: 37.2 years
Median household income: $41,973
Median house value: $95,900
Races in Suncook:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.7%)
- Two or more races (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Black (0.5%)
Ancestries: French (23.3%), French Canadian (18.4%), English (17.0%), Irish (12.6%), Italian (7.6%), United States (6.8%).
Elevation: 350 feet
Land area: 3.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Suncook
- High school or higher: 79.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 2.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Suncook CDP
- Never married: 25.2%
- Now married: 52.5%
- Separated: 1.2%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 12.3%
2.0% Foreign born (1.5% North America, 0.4% Europe).
Hospitals/medical centers near Suncook:
- CONCORD HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; CONCORD, NH)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; CONCORD, NH)
- NEW HAMPSHIRE HOSP-PSYCH UNIT (about 9 miles; CONCORD, NH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Suncook:
- MANCHESTER (about 14 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
- PEASE INTERNATIONAL TRADEPORT (about 45 miles; PORTSMOUTH, NH; Abbreviation: PSM)
- LAURENCE G HANSCOM FLD (about 48 miles; BEDFORD, MA; Abbreviation: BED)
Other public-use airports nearest to Suncook:
- CONCORD MUNI (about 6 miles; CONCORD, NH; Abbreviation: CON)
- BOIRE FIELD (about 26 miles; NASHUA, NH; Abbreviation: ASH)
- ALTON BAY (about 28 miles; ALTON BAY, NH; Abbreviation: B18)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Suncook:
- NEW HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE (about 6 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,251)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE-MAIN CAMPUS (about 35 miles; DURHAM, NH; Full-time enrollment: 12,586)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-LOWELL (about 35 miles; LOWELL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 8,373)
- NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 36 miles; HAVERHILL, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,388)
- MERRIMACK COLLEGE (about 39 miles; NORTH ANDOVER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,384)
- PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE (about 45 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,542)
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 46 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,660)
Private primary/middle school in Suncook:
- GREAT EXECTATIONS (Students: 19; Location: 78 BROADWAY STREET; Grades: PK – KG)