According to Whicheverhealth, Sunapee, New Hampshire is a small town located in the southwestern corner of the state. It is situated on the shore of Lake Sunapee, an 8-mile long lake that is known for its scenic beauty and recreational opportunities. The town itself has a population of just under 3,000 people and is home to a number of small businesses, restaurants, and shops.
The town was first settled in 1763 when the first settlers arrived from Massachusetts. Since then it has grown into a popular tourist destination with plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy year-round. During the summer months, visitors can take part in swimming, boating, fishing, kayaking, canoeing and more on Lake Sunapee. In addition to water activities there are also many trails for hiking and biking nearby as well as some great ski resorts within an hour’s drive away.
In addition to its natural beauty Sunapee also offers a variety of cultural attractions such as the Mount Sunapee State Park which features breathtaking views from its summit or visitors can explore the historic downtown area which features several shops and restaurants that offer a taste of traditional New England fare.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Sunapee also hosts various events throughout the year such as concerts at Mount Sunapee Resort or art shows at Fells Historic Estate & Gardens. During holidays like Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend visitors can enjoy parades through downtown or festivals celebrating local culture like the annual Blueberry Festival held each August.
For those seeking relaxation there are several spas located around town offering therapeutic massages and treatments designed to help revive tired bodies after all that outdoor activity! There are also plenty of bed & breakfasts that offer cozy accommodations for visitors looking for an intimate stay in Sunapee’s quaint atmosphere.
Overall Sunapee is a great place to visit whether you’re looking for adventure or just want to get away from it all! With its stunning scenery and abundance of activities this little New England town offers something for everyone.
Population: 3,055. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,330 (+9.0% change)
Males: 1,544 (50.5%), Females: 1,511 (49.5%)
Median resident age: 41.7 years
Median household income: $49,353
Median house value: $136,100
Races in Sunapee:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.5%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: English (22.7%), Irish (20.0%), French (10.1%), French Canadian (7.4%), German (7.4%), Italian (7.2%).
Elevation: 1008 feet
For population 25 years and over in Sunapee
- High school or higher: 92.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 37.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.7%
- Unemployed: 1.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sunapee town
- Never married: 20.6%
- Now married: 60.2%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 5.9%
- Divorced: 11.4%
2.8% Foreign born (1.5% Europe, 0.7% North America, 0.4% Latin America, 0.3% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sunapee:
- NEW LONDON HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION INC (about 7 miles; NEW LONDON, NH)
- VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; CLAREMONT, NH)
- ALICE PECK DAY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; LEBANON, NH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sunapee:
- MANCHESTER (about 56 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
- RUTLAND STATE (about 60 miles; RUTLAND, VT; Abbreviation: RUT)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 79 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sunapee:
- PARLIN FIELD (about 7 miles; NEWPORT, NH; Abbreviation: 2B3)
- CLAREMONT MUNI (about 20 miles; CLAREMONT, NH; Abbreviation: CNH)
- HAWTHORNE-FEATHER AIRPARK (about 27 miles; HILLSBORO, NH; Abbreviation: 8B1)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sunapee:
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (about 26 miles; HANOVER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,309)
- KEENE STATE COLLEGE (about 33 miles; KEENE, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,049)
- PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE (about 40 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,542)
- NEW HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE (about 50 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,251)
- MOUNT WACHUSETT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 57 miles; GARDNER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 59 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,660)
- NORWICH UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; NORTHFIELD, VT; Full-time enrollment: 2,585)
Public high school in Sunapee:
- SUNAPEE SR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 199; Location: 10 NORTH RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sunapee:
- SUNAPEE CENTRAL SCHOOL (Students: 214; Location: 22 SCHOOL ST; Grades: KG – 05)
- SUNAPEE MIDDLE HIGH SCHOOL (HS) (Students: 136; Location: 10 NORTH RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Sunapee:
- ABBOTT LIBRARY (Operating income: $131,747; Location: 542 ROUTE 11; 31,161 books; 1,108 audio materials; 1,956 video materials; 78 serial subscriptions)