According to Harvardshoes, Sumrall, Mississippi is a small town located in the southern part of the state. It lies about ten miles north of Hattiesburg, and is part of the Hattiesburg metropolitan area. It has a population of around 2,000 people, and is a predominantly rural community. The town itself has a historic downtown area with many old buildings, including an old general store and post office.
The town also boasts several churches as well as two public schools that serve the community. Sumrall High School serves grades 9-12 while Sumrall Middle School serves grades 6-8. Both schools are part of the Lamar County School District and have been recognized by various organizations for their excellence in academics and athletics.
Sumrall is home to many outdoor recreational activities such as fishing in the nearby Bogue Chitto River or hunting on one of the many game preserves in the area. There are also several parks including Lake Hardy Park which offers boating, camping and picnicking opportunities for visitors to enjoy.
The town also offers plenty of shopping opportunities ranging from local stores to larger chain stores located at nearby malls like Turtle Creek Mall or Northpark Mall which are both just a short drive away from Sumrall. There are also several restaurants located throughout the town offering everything from fast food to fine dining experiences for visitors to enjoy.
According to Health-beauty-guides, Sumrall is known for its friendly atmosphere and Southern hospitality, making it an ideal place to visit or live if you want to experience small town life in Mississippi while still being close enough to larger cities like Hattiesburg or Jackson that offer more amenities and attractions. With its quaint charm and friendly locals, Sumrall truly offers something special for everyone who visits or calls it home.
Population: 1,005. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,163 (+15.7% change)
Males: 470 (46.8%), Females: 535 (53.2%)
Zip code: 39482
Median resident age: 35.9 years
Median household income: $25,800
Median house value: $70,700
Races in Sumrall:
- White Non-Hispanic (76.5%)
- Black (22.3%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (22.9%), Irish (9.0%), English (8.7%), German (6.2%), Scottish (2.8%), French (1.6%).
Land area: 2.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sumrall
- High school or higher: 80.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.3%
- Unemployed: 9.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 27.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sumrall town
- Never married: 20.4%
- Now married: 51.7%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 11.4%
- Divorced: 13.0%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +107 (+11.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sumrall:
- WESLEY MEDICAL CENTER (about 14 miles; HATTIESBURG, MS)
- COVINGTON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; COLLINS, MS)
- SOUTH MISSISSIPPI STATE HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; PURVIS, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sumrall:
- HATTIESBURG-LAUREL REGIONAL (about 16 miles; HATTIESBURG/LAUREL, MS; Abbreviation: PIB)
- JACKSON INTERNATIONAL (about 71 miles; JACKSON, MS; Abbreviation: JAN)
- STENNIS INTL (about 73 miles; BAY ST LOUIS, MS; Abbreviation: HSA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sumrall:
- COLUMBIA-MARION COUNTY (about 20 miles; COLUMBIA, MS; Abbreviation: 0R0)
- BOBBY L CHAIN MUNI (about 24 miles; HATTIESBURG, MS; Abbreviation: HBG)
- PRENTISS-JEFFERSON DAVIS COUNTY (about 27 miles; PRENTISS, MS; Abbreviation: M43)
Amtrak station near Sumrall:
- 20 miles: HATTIESBURG (308 NEWMAN ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sumrall:
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI (about 25 miles; HATTIESBURG, MS; Full-time enrollment: 12,541)
- JONES COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 26 miles; ELLISVILLE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 4,072)
- PEARL RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; POPLARVILLE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,433)
- MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; PERKINSTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 6,329)
- JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 76 miles; JACKSON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 5,955)
- HINDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 85 miles; RAYMOND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- MERIDIAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 85 miles; MERIDIAN, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,455)
Private high school in Sumrall:
- C.M.S. OF NEW MEDINAH (Students: 16; Location: 8 AL-HALIM ROAD; Grades: 2 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sumrall:
- SUMRALL MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 692; Location: 198 CENTER AVENUE; Grades: 06 – 12)
- SUMRALL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 573; Location: HWY. 42; Grades: KG – 05)