According to watchtutorials, Summerton, South Carolina is a small town located in Clarendon County, about an hour from the state capital of Columbia. With a population of just over 1,000 people, it is a tight-knit rural community with a rich history and strong sense of community spirit.
The town was first settled in 1871 and was named for the nearby Summerton Plantation. It soon grew to become an agricultural hub for the surrounding area, with cotton and tobacco being the main crops grown in the area. The town’s economy remained largely agricultural until the mid-20th century when manufacturing began to take over as one of the major sources of employment.
Today, Summerton is home to a variety of businesses that serve both locals and visitors alike. There are several restaurants including BBQ joints, seafood spots, and pizza places; shops selling antiques and other unique items; a grocery store; gas stations; banks; churches; and even its own post office. The town also has some recreational opportunities such as Lake Marion which offers fishing, boating, swimming, camping, picnicking and more.
According to ablogtophone, the people of Summerton are known for their friendly nature and hospitality towards visitors from all walks of life. Residents here take great pride in their community’s history as well as its modern day offerings. Many local events are held throughout the year such as parades during Independence Day celebrations or special holiday activities at Christmas time.
Summerton is also home to several historic sites including the Old Summerton Courthouse which served as county seat from 1871 until 1921 when it was replaced by Manning. The building still stands today but has been converted into offices for county government operations. Other historic sites include Rose Hill Plantation House which dates back to 1790s as well as other antebellum homes still standing in various parts of town.
Overall Summerton is a quaint small town full of history and charm that offers visitors plenty to do while they explore this unique corner of South Carolina.
Population: 1,061. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,053 (-0.8% change)
Males: 450 (42.4%), Females: 611 (57.6%)
Zip code: 29148
Median resident age: 40.0 years
Median household income: $21,563
Median house value: $68,900
Races in Summerton:
- Black (57.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (39.8%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Other race (1.4%)
- Asian Indian (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (6.9%), German (5.9%), English (5.4%), Scotch-Irish (5.2%), Irish (3.7%), French (1.3%).
Elevation: 139 feet
Land area: 1.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Summerton
- High school or higher: 61.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.5%
- Unemployed: 3.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Summerton town
- Never married: 32.3%
- Now married: 39.8%
- Separated: 5.2%
- Widowed: 15.7%
- Divorced: 6.9%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +99 (+10.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Summerton:
- CLARENDON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; MANNING, SC)
- TUOMEY (about 22 miles; SUMTER, SC)
- TRMC OF ORANGEBURG & CALHOUN (about 36 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Summerton:
- SHAW AFB (about 27 miles; SUMTER, SC; Abbreviation: SSC)
- MC ENTIRE ANGS (about 37 miles; EASTOVER, SC; Abbreviation: MMT)
- CHARLESTON AFB/INTL (about 55 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Abbreviation: CHS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Summerton:
- SANTEE COOPER REGIONAL (about 11 miles; MANNING, SC; Abbreviation: MNI)
- HOLLY HILL (about 22 miles; HOLLY HILL, SC; Abbreviation: 5J5)
- SUMTER (about 26 miles; SUMTER, SC; Abbreviation: SMS)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Summerton:
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 33 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,971)
- TRIDENT TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 47 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,925)
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; CHARLESTON, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,191)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT COLUMBIA (about 54 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 19,682)
- BENEDICT COLLEGE (about 54 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,880)
- MIDLANDS TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 55 miles; COLUMBIA, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,958)
- FLORENCE DARLINGTON TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 56 miles; FLORENCE, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,619)
Public high school in Summerton:
- SCOTTS BRANCH HIGH (Students: 484; Location: 9253 ALEX HARVIN HIGHWAY; Grades: 08 – 12)
Private high school in Summerton:
- CLARENDON HALL (Students: 260; Location: P O BOX 609; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Summerton:
- SCOTT’S BRANCH MIDDLE (Students: 365; Location: 1154 FOURTH ST.; Grades: 04 – 07)
- ST. PAUL PRIMARY (Students: 341; Location: 255 LIBERTY HILL CHURCH RD; Grades: PK – 03)