According to ACRONYMMONSTER, Sullivan, New Hampshire is a small town located in the southwestern corner of the state. The town was originally settled in 1770 and named after General John Sullivan, a Revolutionary War hero. With a population of just over 2,000 people, Sullivan is an idyllic and tranquil place to call home.
The town’s main attractions include its picturesque scenery and beautiful lakeside views. The area is surrounded by rolling hills, lush forests, and quaint farms that create a peaceful atmosphere. Sullivan is also home to two popular ski resorts, Pats Peak and Crotched Mountain, which draw visitors from all over New England during the winter months.
Sullivan’s downtown area has retained much of its classic New England charm with its brick buildings and old-fashioned storefronts. Visitors can find unique shops selling antiques and handmade goods as well as local restaurants serving up delicious meals from fresh ingredients sourced from nearby farms. In addition to shopping and dining opportunities, Sullivan also offers many recreational activities such as fishing, hiking, biking trails, swimming holes, golf courses, tennis courts, horseback riding stables and more.
According to Topbbacolleges, the town also boasts excellent schools with some of the best test scores in New Hampshire. The local school system provides quality education for children in grades K-12 as well as adult education classes for those looking to further their education or learn new skills.
Overall Sullivan is an ideal place to live if you’re looking for a small-town lifestyle that offers plenty of outdoor recreation opportunities without sacrificing access to amenities like great schools or shopping options. With its stunning scenery and friendly community atmosphere it’s no wonder why so many people choose to call Sullivan home.
Population: 746. Estimated population in July 2020: 764 (+2.4% change)
Males: 375 (50.3%), Females: 371 (49.7%)
Median resident age: 38.4 years
Median household income: $51,058
Median house value: $91,700
Races in Sullivan:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.1%)
- American Indian (1.1%)
Ancestries: English (24.4%), French (15.5%), Irish (12.5%), United States (10.5%), German (7.9%), Scottish (5.4%).
Elevation: 1409 feet
For population 25 years and over in Sullivan
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 19.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.1%
- Unemployed: 3.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sullivan town
- Never married: 22.7%
- Now married: 61.4%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 3.1%
- Divorced: 10.7%
1.1% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Sullivan:
- CHESHIRE MEDICAL CENTER,THE (about 7 miles; KEENE, NH)
- MONADNOCK COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; PETERBOROUGH, NH)
- VALLEY REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 27 miles; CLAREMONT, NH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sullivan:
- MANCHESTER (about 55 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 57 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
- RUTLAND STATE (about 61 miles; RUTLAND, VT; Abbreviation: RUT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sullivan:
- DILLANT-HOPKINS (about 10 miles; KEENE, NH; Abbreviation: EEN)
- JAFFREY AIRPORT-SILVER RANCH (about 22 miles; JAFFREY, NH; Abbreviation: AFN)
- HAWTHORNE-FEATHER AIRPARK (about 24 miles; HILLSBORO, NH; Abbreviation: 8B1)
Amtrak station near Sullivan:
- 18 miles: BELLOWS FALLS (DEPOT ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sullivan:
- KEENE STATE COLLEGE (about 5 miles; KEENE, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,049)
- MOUNT WACHUSETT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 35 miles; GARDNER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 42 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,660)
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (about 49 miles; HANOVER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,309)
- UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS-AMHERST (about 53 miles; AMHERST, MA; Full-time enrollment: 21,468)
- NEW HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE (about 54 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,251)
- SMITH COLLEGE (about 56 miles; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,053)
Public primary/middle school in Sullivan:
- SULLIVAN CENTRAL SCHOOL (Students: 43; Location: PO BOX 188; Grades: 01 – 06)
Library in Sullivan:
- SULLIVAN PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $15,350; Location: 436 CENTRE STREET; 11,539 books; 56 audio materials; 268 video materials; 88 serial subscriptions)