According to bittranslators, Strasburg, North Dakota is a small town located in the southeastern corner of the state. It is situated on the banks of the James River and is part of Emmons County. The population of Strasburg is just over 600 people, making it one of the smallest towns in North Dakota.
The town was founded in 1872 by German immigrants who were drawn to the area due to its fertile soil and abundant wildlife. The town was named after Strasbourg, Germany, and many of its original settlers were German-speaking Lutherans. Today, Strasburg is still heavily influenced by its German heritage; its main street features several old-fashioned buildings that reflect this influence.
Strasburg’s economy revolves around farming and ranching; it has several grain elevators and several businesses related to agriculture. In addition, there are a few small businesses located in town that offer goods and services to locals such as grocery stores, hardware stores, beauty salons, restaurants, bars, a post office and a bank.
According to deluxesurveillance, the town also has an active community center which hosts regular events such as art classes for children and adults as well as dances for all ages. There are also several churches located in Strasburg including Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS), Methodist Church USA (MCUSA), Baptist Church USA (BCUSA), United Church of Christ (UCC), Presbyterian Church USA (PCUSA) and more.
In addition to its agricultural roots, Strasburg also has some historical significance; it was the site of one of the last battles between Native American tribes during the Sioux War from 1876-1877. A monument honoring those who died during this conflict can be found at nearby Fort Yates National Monument near Bismarck ND.
Overall, Strasburg is a quiet little town with deep roots in North Dakota’s history and culture; it offers visitors a glimpse into what life was like before modern conveniences became commonplace throughout much of America today. Its rural setting makes it an ideal place for anyone looking to escape from their hectic day-to-day lives while still being able to enjoy all that North Dakota has to.
Population: 549. Estimated population in July 2020: 491 (-10.6% change)
Males: 247 (45.0%), Females: 302 (55.0%)
Zip code: 58573
Median resident age: 54.9 years
Median household income: $25,417
Median house value: $36,300
Races in Strasburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.5%)
- Hispanic (4.0%)
- Other race (1.8%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander (1.3%)
Ancestries: German (50.6%), Russian (11.8%), Dutch (6.7%), United States (4.2%), English (3.1%), Norwegian (2.6%).
Elevation: 1804 feet
Land area: 0.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Strasburg
- High school or higher: 47.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 8.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Strasburg city
- Never married: 15.0%
- Now married: 59.1%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 18.4%
- Divorced: 5.8%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -9 (-1.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Strasburg:
- LINTON HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; LINTON, ND)
- PHS INDIAN HOSPITAL AT FORT YATES (about 40 miles; FORT YATES, ND)
- WISHEK COMMUNITY HOSPITAL – CAH (about 43 miles; WISHEK, ND)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Strasburg:
- BISMARCK MUNI (about 59 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Abbreviation: BIS)
- JAMESTOWN REGIONAL (about 117 miles; JAMESTOWN, ND; Abbreviation: JMS)
- PIERRE REGIONAL (about 122 miles; PIERRE, SD; Abbreviation: PIR)
Other public-use airports nearest to Strasburg:
- LINTON MUNI (about 8 miles; LINTON, ND; Abbreviation: 7L2)
- HERREID MUNI (about 21 miles; HERREID, SD; Abbreviation: 5T4)
- HAZELTON MUNI (about 25 miles; HAZELTON, ND; Abbreviation: 6H8)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Strasburg:
- UNIVERSITY OF MARY (about 60 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,203)
- BISMARCK STATE COLLEGE (about 65 miles; BISMARCK, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,205)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 124 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- MINOT STATE UNIVERSITY (about 166 miles; MINOT, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 228 miles; FARGO, ND; Full-time enrollment: 8,836)
- NORTH DAKOTA STATE COLLEGE OF SCIENCE (about 246 miles; WAHPETON, ND; Full-time enrollment: 2,176)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA-MAIN CAMPUS (about 247 miles; GRAND FORKS, ND; Full-time enrollment: 9,935)
Public high school in Strasburg:
- STRASBURG HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 100; Location: 307 W MAIN; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Strasburg:
- STRASBURG ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 93; Location: 307 N 1ST ST; Grades: KG – 06)