According to Topbbacolleges, Story, Wyoming is a small, rural town located in the southeast corner of Sheridan County. The town was founded in 1881 by William Story and his sons, who moved there from Missouri to homestead. The name Story was chosen because it sounded like “storey” and the family wanted to start a store. It quickly grew into a bustling community with a post office, general store, several churches, and a school.
The area around Story is known for its beautiful scenery and wildlife. The nearby Big Horn Mountains provide plenty of outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, hunting, skiing, and camping. There are also many historical sites in the area including Fort Phil Kearny State Historic Site and the Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark.
The people of Story are proud of their community and take pride in preserving its unique character. The town has an old-fashioned charm with its historic buildings such as the old post office building which now serves as the library or the two-story brick schoolhouse built in 1910 which still stands today. There are also many local businesses providing goods and services to the citizens such as restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, hardware stores, auto repair shops and more.
According to Whicheverhealth, Story is also home to several annual festivals such as the Story Days Festival in July which celebrates local history with live music performances from local bands and plenty of food vendors offering up delicious treats from around Wyoming. The annual Christmas Tree Lighting celebration takes place each December when citizens gather around Town Square to light up the tree for all to enjoy.
The people of Story enjoy living in a small rural community where they can experience nature while having access to modern amenities like high-speed internet or cell phone service. They take pride in their unique culture which is heavily influenced by their cowboy heritage but also embraces modern technology that allows them to stay connected with friends and family all over the world.
Overall, Story is an ideal place for those looking for peace and quiet away from city life but still want access to modern conveniences like high-speed internet or cell phone service without sacrificing their privacy or safety. It’s no wonder why so many people have chosen this small town as their home.
Males: 463 (52.2%), Females: 424 (47.8%)
Zip code: 82842
Median resident age: 48.4 years
Median household income: $33,125
Median house value: $127,700
Races in Story:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.9%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
- American Indian (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (20.0%), English (13.0%), Irish (8.2%), Scottish (7.3%), French (6.8%), United States (5.4%).
Elevation: 5079 feet
Land area: 13.7 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Story
- High school or higher: 96.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 30.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.0%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 29.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Story CDP
- Never married: 14.5%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 14.0%
1.0% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Story:
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL OF SHERIDAN COUNTY (about 16 miles; SHERIDAN, WY)
- JOHNSON CO MEMORIAL HOSP (about 25 miles; BUFFALO, WY)
- SOUTH BIG HORN COUNTY HOSPITAL-CAH (about 78 miles; GREYBULL, WY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Story:
- SHERIDAN COUNTY (about 14 miles; SHERIDAN, WY; Abbreviation: SHR)
- WORLAND MUNI (about 84 miles; WORLAND, WY; Abbreviation: WRL)
- GILLETTE-CAMPBELL COUNTY (about 97 miles; GILLETTE, WY; Abbreviation: GCC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Story:
- JOHNSON COUNTY (about 20 miles; BUFFALO, WY; Abbreviation: BYG)
- SOUTH BIG HORN COUNTY (about 81 miles; GREYBULL, WY; Abbreviation: GEY)
- ST LABRE MISSION (about 84 miles; ASHLAND, MT; Abbreviation: 3U4)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Story:
- CASPER COLLEGE (about 123 miles; CASPER, WY; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BILLINGS (about 136 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Full-time enrollment: 3,105)
- BLACK HILLS STATE UNIVERSITY (about 211 miles; SPEARFISH, SD; Full-time enrollment: 3,190)
- UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING (about 212 miles; LARAMIE, WY; Full-time enrollment: 9,665)
- SOUTH DAKOTA SCHOOL OF MINES AND TECHNOLOGY (about 258 miles; RAPID CITY, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,002)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BOZEMAN (about 286 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Full-time enrollment: 10,380)
- CHADRON STATE COLLEGE (about 297 miles; CHADRON, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,144)
Public primary/middle school in Story:
- STORY ELEMENTARY (Students: 18; Location: 103 FISH HATCHERY ROAD; Grades: KG – 05)