According to foodezine, Stoddard, New Hampshire is a small rural town located in southwestern New Hampshire. It’s a part of Cheshire County and is bordered by the towns of Winchester, Gilsum, and Rindge. The town has a population of approximately 1,400 people, making it one of the smallest towns in the state.
Stoddard is situated along the banks of the Contoocook River and is surrounded by mountains and woodlands which provide abundant opportunities for outdoor activities like fishing, hiking, hunting, biking, canoeing or kayaking. The town also has several lakes which offer opportunities for swimming and boating as well as camping sites.
The town was first settled in 1773 by Samuel Stoddard who named it after himself. Stoddard was an early leader in the region and served as a captain in the Revolutionary War. In 1807 Stoddard was incorporated as a town with its own government composed of selectmen and representatives to New Hampshire’s House of Representatives and Senate.
According to fun-wiki, Stoddard is home to several historic sites including Stoddard Meetinghouse (built in 1780), Stoddard Cemetery (established in 1786), Old Town Hall (built in 1842) ,and Stoddard Congregational Church (built in 1867). The town also contains part of the Monadnock-Sunapee Greenway Trail which runs from Mount Monadnock to Mount Sunapee State Park.
The economy of Stoddard is largely based on agriculture with dairy farming being an important industry for many local farmers. Other industries include logging, lumber mills, maple syrup production, apple orchards and stone quarries. The town also has a few small businesses such as restaurants, stores and service providers that cater to locals as well as visitors from nearby cities such as Keene or Peterborough.
Stoddard has two elementary schools: one public school serving grades K-6; and one private school serving grades K-8; both schools are affiliated with the ConVal Regional School District based out of Peterborough NH . Students attend high school at ConVal High School located about 20 miles away from Stoddard.
Stoddard offers its residents a peaceful way of life surrounded by nature’s beauty yet close enough to major cities for easy access to amenities such as shopping centers or entertainment venues when needed . It’s an ideal location for those looking for a rural lifestyle while still having easy access to urban areas when needed.
Population: 928. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,000 (+7.8% change)
Males: 475 (51.2%), Females: 453 (48.8%)
Median resident age: 42.8 years
Median household income: $37,639
Median house value: $115,900
Races in Stoddard:
- White Non-Hispanic (96.6%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: English (19.6%), Irish (17.6%), German (16.2%), French (13.4%), Italian (7.0%), French Canadian (5.1%).
Elevation: 1434 feet
For population 25 years and over in Stoddard
- High school or higher: 87.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 32.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.5%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stoddard town
- Never married: 23.3%
- Now married: 58.1%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 11.5%
1.1% Foreign born
Hospitals/medical centers near Stoddard:
- CHESHIRE MEDICAL CENTER,THE (about 15 miles; KEENE, NH)
- MONADNOCK COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; PETERBOROUGH, NH)
- NEW LONDON HOSPITAL ASSOCIATION INC (about 25 miles; NEW LONDON, NH)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stoddard:
- MANCHESTER (about 49 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Abbreviation: MHT)
- WORCESTER REGIONAL (about 59 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Abbreviation: ORH)
- RUTLAND STATE (about 65 miles; RUTLAND, VT; Abbreviation: RUT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stoddard:
- HAWTHORNE-FEATHER AIRPARK (about 17 miles; HILLSBORO, NH; Abbreviation: 8B1)
- DILLANT-HOPKINS (about 18 miles; KEENE, NH; Abbreviation: EEN)
- JAFFREY AIRPORT-SILVER RANCH (about 21 miles; JAFFREY, NH; Abbreviation: AFN)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stoddard:
- KEENE STATE COLLEGE (about 13 miles; KEENE, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,049)
- MOUNT WACHUSETT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 36 miles; GARDNER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- FITCHBURG STATE COLLEGE (about 41 miles; FITCHBURG, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,660)
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE (about 46 miles; HANOVER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 5,309)
- NEW HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE (about 47 miles; MANCHESTER, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,251)
- PLYMOUTH STATE COLLEGE (about 57 miles; PLYMOUTH, NH; Full-time enrollment: 3,542)
- QUINSIGAMOND COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 58 miles; WORCESTER, MA; Full-time enrollment: 3,359)
Public primary/middle school in Stoddard:
- JAMES FAULKNER ELEMENTARY (Students: 43; Location: 200 SCHOOL ST; Grades: KG – 05)
Library in Stoddard:
- DAVIS PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $21,649; Location: HCR 32 ROUTE 123; 6,242 books; 19 serial subscriptions)