Statesboro was incorporated in 1866 and is the county seat of Bulloch County. It is the only Statesboro in the U.S. and was probably named for the State of Georgia. The city is sometimes referred to as the “Tourist City”.
The City of Statesboro is home to Georgia Southern University, a state institution of some 14,000 students. Georgia Southern was one of five schools in the South, which made U.S. News and World Report’s list of the nation’s “up-and-coming” regional universities.
Georgia Southern University provides a number of resources to the community. It is the home of the Magnolia Gardens and GSU Botanical Gardens. The Georgia Southern University Eagle Sanctuary and Lamar Q. Ball, Jr. Raptor Center, a sanctuary for bald eagles and other native birds of prey, and an ecological education center are under development.
Ogeechee Technical Institute, the new vocational-technical school, also provides residents with an opportunity for higher education.
Statesboro hosts a number of events including the annual Ogeechee River Raft Race in May and the Harvest Moon Arts and Crafts Fair in November.
Population: 22,698. Estimated population in July 2020: 24,612 (+8.4% change)
Males: 10,661 (47.0%), Females: 12,037 (53.0%)
Zip codes: 30458, 30461.
Median resident age: 22.0 years
Median household income: $19,016
Median house value: $83,400
Races in Statesboro:
- White Non-Hispanic (55.4%)
- Black (40.3%)
- Hispanic (2.1%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Other race (0.9%)
Ancestries: Irish (7.6%), English (7.5%), German (5.8%), United States (4.8%), Subsaharan African (2.8%), Italian (1.9%).
Elevation: 258 feet
Land area: 12.5 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Statesboro
- High school or higher: 78.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 31.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.7%
- Unemployed: 17.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 16.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Statesboro city
- Never married: 62.3%
- Now married: 26.5%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 4.9%
- Divorced: 5.0%
3.9% Foreign born (1.2% Asia, 0.9% Latin America, 0.7% Europe, 0.6% Africa, 0.5% North America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,317 (+6.2%).
Hospital/medical center in Statesboro:
- EAST GEORGIA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (1499 FAIR ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Statesboro:
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Statesboro:
Other public-use airports nearest to Statesboro:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Statesboro:
- GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 12,724; Location: HWY 301 S; Public; Website: WWW.GASOU.EDU; Offers Doctor’s degree)
- OGEECHEE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,141; Location: ONE JOE KENNEDY BLVD; Public; Website: www.ogeechee.org)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Statesboro:
- ARMSTRONG ATLANTIC STATE UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,945)
- SAVANNAH COLLEGE OF ART AND DESIGN (about 59 miles; SAVANNAH, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,565)
- AUGUSTA TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 67 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,300)
- AUGUSTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 73 miles; AUGUSTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 3,778)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT AIKEN (about 78 miles; AIKEN, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,636)
- SOUTH CAROLINA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 97 miles; ORANGEBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,971)
- GEORGIA COLLEGE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (about 110 miles; MILLEDGEVILLE, GA; Full-time enrollment: 4,028)
Public high school in Statesboro:
- STATESBORO HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,452; Location: 10 LESTER ROAD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high schools in Statesboro:
- BULLOCH ACADEMY INC (Students: 463; Location: 873 WESTSIDE RD.; Grades: PK – 12)
- BIBLE BAPTIST CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 66; Location: 151 NORTHSIDE DR EAST; Grades: KG – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Statesboro:
- LANGSTON CHAPEL MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 704; Location: 156 LANGSTON CHAPEL ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MILL CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 599; Location: 239 BEASLEY ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- LANGSTON CHAPEL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 557; Location: 150 LANGSTON CHAPEL ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- WILLIAM JAMES MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 553; Location: 18809 HIGHWAY 80 WEST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- BRYANT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 516; Location: 400 WILLIAMS STREET; Grades: PK – 05)
- MATTIE LIVELY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 371; Location: 204 DEBBIE DRIVE; Grades: KG – 05)
- SALLIE ZETTEROWER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 342; Location: 900 EAST JONES AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)
- NEVILS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 330; Location: 8483 NEVILS-GROVELAND ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
- CCAT SCHOOL (Students: 187; Location: 149 NORTHSIDE DR. EAST; Grades: 03 – 12)
- CEDARWOOD PSYCHOEDUCATIONAL PROGRAM (Location: LANDRUM BOX 8159 GEORGIA SOUTH; Grades: 00 – 00)
Private primary/middle school in Statesboro:
- ESTHER’S ACADEMY OF EXCELLENCE (Students: 9; Location: 33 ELM STREET; Grades: KG – 8)
Library in Statesboro:
- STATESBORO REGIONAL LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $1,595,574; Location: 124 SOUTH MAIN STREET; 180,368 books; 4,130 audio materials; 4,422 video materials; 366 serial subscriptions)