State Route 4 in Nebraska
State Route 4, also known as Highway 4, is a state route in the U.S. state of Nebraska. The road forms a fairly long east-west route through the sparsely populated south of the state. The road runs from US 6 near Atlanta to US 75 near Dawson. The only town with more than 1,000 inhabitants on the route is the town of Beatrice. Highway 4 is 331 kilometers long.
- MCAT-TEST-CENTERS: Provides a list of all two year colleges in Nebraska, covering both community and technical colleges located in Nebraska.
Highway 4 runs east-west through southern Nebraska. The road leads through 9 counties, all of which have a very similar agricultural character. The landscape is mostly the same, with monotonous plains with prairies and agricultural areas. The area has the necessary circular irrigation. Highway 4 is two-lane throughout and has long straights across the plains. Most villages are just set back from the road, which means that you only sporadically drive through a small village on the more than 300 kilometers. The only town of note on the route is Beatrice, the largest town in the wider region. Highway 4 has various short double numberings with mainly north-south running roads, such as various US Highways. Most double numberings are only a few miles long with Highway 4 staggering north and south within the grid. East of Beatrice, Highway 4 has some larger jumps. The terminus is 20 kilometers away from the state borderKansas and 30 miles from the Iowa state border .
The first Highway 4 was assigned to the “Meridian Highway,” Nebraska’s main north-south route during the major renumbering of 1925. The road ran from the Kansas border at Superior to the South Dakota border at South Yankton. The following year, however, it became part of US 81, after which Highway 4 was assigned to its current east-west route through southern Nebraska in 1926. Beatrice is the main town on the route.
- toppharmacyschools.org: Lists graduate schools of psychology in Nebraska, including a full list of counties, boroughs or parishes of Nebraska.
The western part of the route mainly has approximately 500 vehicles per day and is therefore a very quiet connection. Only closer to Beatrice, the intensities are between 1,000 and 2,000 vehicles per day. East of Beatrice, the intensity fluctuates between 500 and 1,500 vehicles per day.
State Route 40 in Nebraska
State Route 40, also known as Highway 40 is a state route in the U.S. state of Nebraska. The road forms an east-west route in the middle of the state, from Arnold to Kearney. Highway 40 is 138 kilometers long.
Highway 40 begins in the village of Arnold at an intersection with Highway 92 and heads south for 20 kilometers first, to a point where Highway 47 continues south to Gothenburg and Highway 40 heads east. The road then heads southeast through the shallow valley of the Wood River, a small but fairly long stream. The surrounding area consists of the foothills of the Sandhills, but the road itself leads through somewhat cultivated land. Highway 40 eventually ends just north of the town of Kearney on Highway 10.
Highway 40 was one of the original state highways of 1921 and ran from Hastings to Fairmont in southern Nebraska. In the major renumbering of 1925, it was renumbered as Highway 7 and soon after became part of US 6. Highway 40 was assigned to the current route in 1927 or 1928. In 1938 the entire route was a gravel road. It took until the 1960s before the road was paved.
Between 2011 and 2016, a bypass as a 2×2 divided highway was constructed around Kearney. This 14-kilometer bypass is an extension of State Route 40 and runs east around Kearney to I-80. The southern section between I-80 and 11th Street was built first, followed by the rest of the bypass, which was completed in November 2016.
Highway 40 is a quiet road with mostly less than 1,000 vehicles per day, some only around 300 vehicles per day. Only the eastern part from US 183 to Kearney handles slightly more traffic with 1,000 to 2,500 vehicles.
State Route 47 in Nebraska
State Route 47, also known as Highway 47 is a state route in the U.S. state of Nebraska. Forming a north-south route in the central south of the state, the road consists of two consecutive sections, a 20-mile southern section from Wilsonville to Cambridge and a 40-mile northern section from Farnam to Arnold. The main place on the route is Gothenburg. Highway 74 is a total of 84 kilometers long.
The southern portion is located entirely in Furnas County, which borders Kansas. Highway 47 begins west of the village of Wilsonville on Highway 89 and then travels 20 kilometers north across the flat prairies to US 6 in Cambridge. Cambridge is the only place right on the road.
The northern part begins as the crow flies 46 kilometers further north near the village of Farnam on a Highway 23 one crosses. The road heads north and descends into the broad valley of the Platte River. The landscape changes from rangeland to more intensively cultivated arable land. At the village of Gothenburg one crosses the Platte River and connects to Interstate 80. The US 30 is also crossed in Gothenburg. Gothenburg is the main town on the route, but is not much more than a large village. North of Gothenburg, the cropland gives way to less cultivated rangeland, interspersed with some circular irrigation. In the village of Arnold, Highway 47 ends at Highway 92.
Highway 47 was one of the original state highways of 1921 and at the time ran from Neligh to Norfolk, a roughly 40-mile east-west route in northeastern Nebraska. During the renumbering of 1925, Highway 47 was deleted, but later this road was renumbered as US 275.
In 1927 or 1928, Highway 47 was reassigned to its current route. The road has always consisted of two segments, perhaps it was planned at the time to make it one through route, given that both parts are an extension of each other. The northern section near Arnold was originally numbered only Highway 40, the section in Custer County was missing until the mid-1950s.
Daily 350 to 550 vehicles run on the southern section between Wilsonville and Cambridge and 800 to 1,600 vehicles from Farnam to Gothenburg, up to 2,500 vehicles in Gothenburg, then dropping to 400 vehicles near Arnold.