According to beautyphoon, Stanley, North Carolina is a small town located in Gaston County. It is situated on the banks of the Catawba River and is surrounded by mountains, forests, and rolling hills. The population was 1,929 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Greater Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The town was founded in 1892 as a railroad stop and named in honor of James Stanley, an early settler in the area. The first post office was established in 1894 and the town was incorporated in 1907. Stanley has been an important center for commerce since its inception.
The downtown area of Stanley features a variety of shops and restaurants, including several antique stores that have been around for many years. There are also two public parks: Stanley Park and Memorial Park. Stanley Park has a playground, walking paths, picnic areas, and a basketball court; Memorial Park has a gazebo and benches overlooking Catawba River.
According to bestitude, Stanley is home to several churches representing various denominations including Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian and Catholic faiths. The local schools include East Gaston High School (grades 9-12), South Point Elementary School (K-5), Wren Elementary School (K-5), East Gaston Middle School (6-8), East Gaston Early College High School (9-12) as well as private schools such as Charlotte Christian Academy (K-12).
The town also hosts several annual events such as the Annual Fall Festival & Craft Show which features artisans from all over North Carolina selling handmade items; the Annual Christmas Parade which includes floats from local businesses; and the Annual Easter Egg Hunt which takes place on Easter Sunday each year at Memorial Park.
Overall Stanley is a great place to live with plenty to do for both young people and adults alike! With its rich history, scenic views, vibrant community spirit, friendly locals and all that it has to offer it’s easy to see why so many people choose to call this charming small town home.
Population: 3,053. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,094 (+1.3% change)
Males: 1,476 (48.3%), Females: 1,577 (51.7%)
Zip code: 28164
Median resident age: 35.7 years
Median household income: $35,867
Median house value: $85,200
Races in Stanley:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.3%)
- Black (8.4%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (16.9%), United States (14.0%), Irish (9.4%), Scotch-Irish (5.9%), English (5.4%), Scottish (3.5%).
Elevation: 856 feet
Land area: 2.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Stanley
- High school or higher: 78.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.3%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 30.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stanley town
- Never married: 21.5%
- Now married: 56.9%
- Separated: 1.3%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 13.5%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -258 (-7.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Stanley:
- GASTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; GASTONIA, NC)
- LINCOLN MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; LINCOLNTON, NC)
- DAVIS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; STATESVILLE, NC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stanley:
- CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS INTL (about 16 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Abbreviation: CLT)
- HICKORY REGIONAL (about 33 miles; HICKORY, NC; Abbreviation: HKY)
- SMITH REYNOLDS (about 81 miles; WINSTON SALEM, NC; Abbreviation: INT)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stanley:
- LINCOLNTON-LINCOLN COUNTY RGNL (about 9 miles; LINCOLNTON, NC; Abbreviation: IPJ)
- GASTONIA MUNI (about 12 miles; GASTONIA, NC; Abbreviation: AKH)
- LANEYS (about 15 miles; MAIDEN, NC; Abbreviation: N92)
Amtrak station near Stanley:
- 8 miles: GASTONIA (350 HANCOCK ST.). Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stanley:
- GASTON COLLEGE (about 7 miles; DALLAS, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,473)
- CENTRAL PIEDMONT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 7,967)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHARLOTTE (about 26 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 13,706)
- WINTHROP UNIVERSITY (about 26 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 4,976)
- CATAWBA VALLEY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 30 miles; HICKORY, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,052)
- YORK TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 32 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,221)
- GARDNER-WEBB UNIVERSITY (about 40 miles; BOILING SPRINGS, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,563)
Private high school in Stanley:
- STANLEY CHRIST ACADEMY (Students: 130; Location: BOX 307; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Stanley:
- STANLEY MIDDLE (Students: 573; Location: 317 HOVIS ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SPRINGFIELD PRIMARY (Students: 522; Location: 900 S MAIN STREET; Grades: PK – 02)
- KISER ELEMENTARY (Students: 472; Location: 311 E COLLEGE STREET; Grades: 03 – 05)