According to Ezinesports, Shubuta, Mississippi is a small town located in Clarke County, in the southeastern corner of the state. It is situated on the banks of the Chickasawhay River, about 20 miles from Meridian and 80 miles from Jackson. With a population of just over one thousand people, Shubuta offers a peaceful rural lifestyle that has been home to generations of families for over 150 years.
The town was founded in 1844 by William Shubuta, who named it after himself. Originally a trading post for local Native American tribes and settlers, it quickly grew into a thriving agricultural community with cotton being the main crop. The early settlers were mostly farmers who lived off their land but also provided goods and services to those passing through or living nearby.
Shubuta is known for its strong sense of community and hospitality. It is home to several churches including Shubuta Methodist Church which was built in 1845 and is still active today. There are also several historic buildings such as the old courthouse which was built in 1848 and served as the county seat until 1895 when it moved to Quitman.
The town also has some interesting attractions such as an old train depot from 1903 which now serves as a museum, several antique stores with items from local estates, and even an old railroad bridge that still stands today across the Chickasawhay River.
According to Fashionissupreme, Shubuta is also known for its annual celebrations such as the Fourth of July parade which includes floats decorated by local children, music performances by local bands, food vendors selling traditional southern dishes like fried catfish and hush puppies, and games like tug-of-war to entertain visitors of all ages.
The town’s economy relies heavily on agriculture but there are also some other small businesses such as auto repair shops, convenience stores, restaurants and clothing stores that help keep locals employed throughout the year.
Overall, Shubuta provides an idyllic small-town atmosphere with friendly neighbors who take pride in their community’s history while embracing modern technologies that help make life easier for residents today. Its location near major cities like Meridian provide easy access to larger urban areas while still maintaining its rural charm making it an ideal place for those looking for a peaceful hometown atmosphere or an escape from city life on weekends or holidays.
Population: 651. Estimated population in July 2020: 648 (-0.5% change)
Males: 296 (45.5%), Females: 355 (54.5%)
Zip code: 39360
Median resident age: 33.1 years
Median household income: $18,438
Median house value: $42,300
Races in Shubuta:
- Black (73.9%)
- White Non-Hispanic (25.5%)
- Hispanic (1.4%)
Ancestries: United States (8.3%).
Elevation: 197 feet
Land area: 2.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Shubuta
- High school or higher: 64.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 18.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 32.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shubuta town
- Never married: 33.3%
- Now married: 40.4%
- Separated: 6.2%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 9.4%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +74 (+12.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Shubuta:
- WAYNE GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; WAYNESBORO, MS)
- H C WATKINS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; QUITMAN, MS)
- SOUTH CENTRAL REG MED CTR (about 33 miles; LAUREL, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Shubuta:
- KEY FIELD (about 32 miles; MERIDIAN, MS; Abbreviation: MEI)
- HATTIESBURG-LAUREL REGIONAL (about 52 miles; HATTIESBURG/LAUREL, MS; Abbreviation: PIB)
- MOBILE REGIONAL (about 88 miles; MOBILE, AL; Abbreviation: MOB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Shubuta:
- CLARKE COUNTY (about 16 miles; QUITMAN, MS; Abbreviation: 23M)
- WAYNESBORO MUNI (about 17 miles; WAYNESBORO, MS; Abbreviation: 2R0)
- HESLER-NOBLE FIELD (about 35 miles; LAUREL, MS; Abbreviation: LUL)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shubuta:
- MERIDIAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 35 miles; MERIDIAN, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,455)
- JONES COUNTY JUNIOR COLLEGE (about 41 miles; ELLISVILLE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 4,072)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI (about 63 miles; HATTIESBURG, MS; Full-time enrollment: 12,541)
- MISSISSIPPI GULF COAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 84 miles; PERKINSTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 6,329)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH ALABAMA (about 88 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 9,082)
- BISHOP STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 93 miles; MOBILE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,758)
- JAMES H FAULKNER STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 94 miles; BAY MINETTE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 2,050)