According to Ezinesports, Shoshoni, Wyoming is a small town located in Fremont County. It has a population of about 1,000 people, and is situated along the Wind River. The town was originally inhabited by the Shoshone Indians who gave it its name.
The town of Shoshoni was founded in 1910 as a railroad stop for the Union Pacific Railroad. It was named after Chief Washakie’s daughter, Shoshonee, who lived near the area at the time. Since then, it has grown to become an important center for agriculture and industry in Fremont County.
The town is home to several businesses such as banks, restaurants, stores and other services that cater to both locals and visitors alike. There are also several schools in the area including an elementary school, middle school and high school that serve students from all over Fremont County.
Shoshoni has long been known for its outdoor recreation opportunities such as fishing, hunting and camping. There are numerous lakes and rivers nearby which provide plenty of opportunities for anglers of all skill levels to enjoy their time outdoors. There are also many hiking trails throughout the area that offer beautiful views of nearby mountains and valleys.
The nearby Wind River Indian Reservation provides visitors with a unique cultural experience that includes traditional dances and powwows as well as a variety of Native American art galleries and museums. Visitors can also explore ancient rock formations at Sinks Canyon State Park located just outside of Shoshoni’s city limits.
According to Harvardshoes, Shoshoni is also home to many events throughout the year including rodeos, parades and festivals such as The Big Horn Days Festival which celebrates local history with parades, carnivals rides and more! There are also many community organizations in the area such as 4-H clubs, churches and volunteer fire departments that help make this small town feel like home for its residents.
All in all, Shoshoni is a great place to live or visit if you’re looking for a peaceful place with plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy while surrounded by friendly people who take pride in their community.
Population: 635. Estimated population in July 2020: 659 (+3.8% change)
Males: 308 (48.5%), Females: 327 (51.5%)
Zip code: 82649
Median resident age: 37.4 years
Median household income: $31,250
Median house value: $55,300
Races in Shoshoni:
- White Non-Hispanic (91.8%)
- Hispanic (3.9%)
- Two or more races (3.1%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
- Other race (0.9%)
- Other Asian (0.8%)
Ancestries: German (33.1%), Irish (15.4%), English (15.1%), United States (5.7%), Norwegian (5.5%), Swedish (4.1%).
Elevation: 4816 feet
Land area: 3.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Shoshoni
- High school or higher: 81.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 15.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.3%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shoshoni town
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 60.8%
- Separated: 0.8%
- Widowed: 7.5%
- Divorced: 8.9%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +134 (+26.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Shoshoni:
- RIVERTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; RIVERTON, WY)
- HOT SPRINGS COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 35 miles; THERMOPOLIS, WY)
- LANDER VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER (about 51 miles; LANDER, WY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Shoshoni:
- RIVERTON REGIONAL (about 27 miles; RIVERTON, WY; Abbreviation: RIW)
- WORLAND MUNI (about 51 miles; WORLAND, WY; Abbreviation: WRL)
- YELLOWSTONE REGIONAL (about 108 miles; CODY, WY; Abbreviation: COD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Shoshoni:
- SHOSHONI MUNI (about 1 miles; SHOSHONI, WY; Abbreviation: 49U)
- HOT SPRINGS CO-THERMOPOLIS MUNI (about 29 miles; THERMOPOLIS, WY; Abbreviation: THP)
- HUNT FIELD (about 52 miles; LANDER, WY; Abbreviation: LND)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shoshoni:
- CASPER COLLEGE (about 128 miles; CASPER, WY; Full-time enrollment: 2,564)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BILLINGS (about 174 miles; BILLINGS, MT; Full-time enrollment: 3,105)
- UNIVERSITY OF WYOMING (about 192 miles; LARAMIE, WY; Full-time enrollment: 9,665)
- RICKS COLLEGE (about 251 miles; REXBURG, ID; Full-time enrollment: 8,670)
- MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY-BOZEMAN (about 254 miles; BOZEMAN, MT; Full-time enrollment: 10,380)
- COLORADO MOUNTAIN COLLEGE (about 262 miles; GLENWOOD SPRINGS, CO; Full-time enrollment: 3,400)
- COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY (about 265 miles; Fort Collins, CO; Full-time enrollment: 22,684)
Public high school in Shoshoni:
- SHOSHONI HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 104; Location: 112 WEST 3RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Shoshoni:
- SHOSHONI ELEMENTARY (Students: 152; Location: 112 WEST 3RD; Grades: PK – 06)
- SHOSHONI JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 52; Location: 112 WEST 3RD; Grades: 07 – 08)