According to Whicheverhealth, Sharon, South Carolina is a small town located in York County, nestled along the North and South Carolina border. With a population of just over 800 people, Sharon is a quiet and peaceful town that provides its residents with the comfort and security of small-town living.
The town was first settled in the early 1800s by German immigrants who named it after their hometown of Sharon, Pennsylvania. The main industry in Sharon has historically been agriculture, with cotton being the primary crop grown in the area.
The town itself is quite small, but it does offer its residents plenty of amenities to enjoy. There are several restaurants and stores located within Sharon’s city limits including a grocery store, pharmacy, hardware store and bank. The local library offers plenty of books for those looking to get lost in a good story or brush up on their knowledge.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Sharon is home to two churches – one Baptist and one Methodist – which host regular services as well as other community activities throughout the year. During summer months, visitors can enjoy swimming at nearby Lake Wylie or fishing at nearby Lake Wateree. There are also several parks located within Sharon that offer picnic areas and walking trails for those looking to get some fresh air or take a leisurely stroll through nature’s beauty.
Sharon offers its residents an affordable cost of living compared to other cities in South Carolina due to its lower housing prices and low taxes on both residential properties and businesses alike. Residents also benefit from easy access to major highways such as I-77 which connects them to larger cities like Charlotte or Columbia for work or leisure purposes.
Overall, Sharon is an excellent place for families who want peace and quiet without sacrificing convenience or affordability; it truly is a hidden gem amongst South Carolina’s many towns.
Population: 421. Estimated population in July 2020: 451 (+7.1% change)
Males: 207 (49.2%), Females: 214 (50.8%)
Zip code: 29742
Median resident age: 33.6 years
Median household income: $35,250
Median house value: $81,300
Races in Sharon:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.5%)
- Black (3.8%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (29.2%), Irish (19.2%), German (10.7%), English (5.7%), Scotch-Irish (5.2%), French (1.2%).
Land area: 1.3 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sharon
- High school or higher: 57.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 36.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sharon town
- Never married: 20.3%
- Now married: 59.5%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 10.1%
0.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +160 (+61.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sharon:
- CHESTER COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; CHESTER, SC)
- KINGS MOUNTAIN HOSPITAL INC (about 20 miles; KINGS MOUNTAIN, NC)
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITAITON HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; ROCK HILL, SC)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sharon:
- CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS INTL (about 33 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Abbreviation: CLT)
- HICKORY REGIONAL (about 54 miles; HICKORY, NC; Abbreviation: HKY)
- GREENVILLE-SPARTANBURG INTL (about 61 miles; GREER, SC; Abbreviation: GSP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sharon:
- CHESTER MUNI (about 16 miles; CHESTER, SC; Abbreviation: 9A6)
- ROCK HILL/YORK CO/BRYANT FIELD (about 21 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Abbreviation: UZA)
- GASTONIA MUNI (about 23 miles; GASTONIA, NC; Abbreviation: AKH)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sharon:
- WINTHROP UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 4,976)
- YORK TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 23 miles; ROCK HILL, SC; Full-time enrollment: 2,221)
- GASTON COLLEGE (about 29 miles; DALLAS, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,473)
- GARDNER-WEBB UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; BOILING SPRINGS, NC; Full-time enrollment: 2,563)
- CENTRAL PIEDMONT COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 43 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 7,967)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA AT SPARTANBURG (about 43 miles; SPARTANBURG, SC; Full-time enrollment: 3,041)
- UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA AT CHARLOTTE (about 49 miles; CHARLOTTE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 13,706)