According to Health-beauty-guides, Schell City is a small, unincorporated community in Vernon County, Missouri. It is located about 15 miles northeast of Nevada, the county seat. The town was founded in 1873 by German immigrants and was originally called “Schellenberg” after their home country of Germany. The name was changed to Schell City in 1884 and the town incorporated in 1890.
The town has a population of around 500 people and is situated on rolling hills that provide some stunning views of the surrounding area. Schell City has a few small businesses, including a general store, an auto repair shop, and a diner. There are also several churches in town including the Schell City United Methodist Church which was established in 1875.
The most notable feature of Schell City is its historic downtown district which contains many buildings dating back to the late 1800s. The downtown area includes several old brick buildings that were built during the time when Schell City was a thriving agricultural center in the region. Several old storefronts still exist along Main Street and offer visitors a glimpse into what life was like here more than 100 years ago.
Another interesting attraction in Schell City is its historic cemetery which dates back to 1874 and contains many graves from early settlers who helped establish the community. The cemetery houses some unique headstones such as those made from wood or metal with inscriptions written in German or English. It also has several monuments dedicated to local veterans who served during World War I or II as well as those who served during other conflicts such as Vietnam or Korea..
According to watchtutorials, for outdoor activities, there are several parks located within close proximity to Schell City including Staley Park which features picnic areas, playgrounds, walking trails and fishing ponds for visitors to enjoy. There are also two nearby lakes where residents can go swimming or boating during warmer months of the year as well as hunting opportunities for those looking for an outdoor adventure closer to home.
Overall, Schell City is an interesting place that offers visitors an opportunity to explore its rich history while enjoying some scenic views of rural Missouri countryside at the same time. Although it may be small compared to other towns nearby, it still has plenty of charm that makes it worth visiting if you’re ever passing through this part of Missouri.
Population: 286. Estimated population in July 2020: 290 (+1.4% change)
Males: 142 (49.7%), Females: 144 (50.3%)
Zip code: 64783
Median resident age: 42.0 years
Median household income: $20,500
Median house value: $21,800
Races in Schell City:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.0%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (26.6%), Irish (17.8%), United States (10.5%), English (7.3%), Scotch-Irish (4.5%), Dutch (3.8%).
Elevation: 747 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Schell City
- High school or higher: 70.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.0%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Schell City city
- Never married: 16.7%
- Now married: 57.0%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 6.1%
- Divorced: 19.3%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -6 (-2.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Schell City:
- ELLETT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; APPLETON CITY, MO)
- CEDAR COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; EL DORADO SPRINGS, MO)
- HEARTLAND BEHAVORIAL HEALTH SERVICES (about 21 miles; NEVADA, MO)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Schell City:
- JOPLIN REGIONAL (about 65 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Abbreviation: JLN)
- SPRINGFIELD-BRANSON REGIONAL (about 75 miles; SPRINGFIELD, MO; Abbreviation: SGF)
- CHARLES B. WHEELER DOWNTOWN (about 83 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Abbreviation: MKC)
Other public-use airports nearest to Schell City:
- EL DORADO SPRINGS MEML (about 15 miles; EL DORADO SPRINGS, MO; Abbreviation: 87K)
- NEVADA MUNI (about 18 miles; NEVADA, MO; Abbreviation: NVD)
- BUTLER MEMORIAL (about 24 miles; BUTLER, MO; Abbreviation: BUM)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Schell City:
- SOUTHWEST BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; BOLIVAR, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,612)
- CENTRAL MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; Warrensburg, MO; Full-time enrollment: 8,957)
- PITTSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; PITTSBURG, KS; Full-time enrollment: 5,566)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 65 miles; LEES SUMMIT, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,576)
- MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE COLLEGE (about 69 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,569)
- DEVRY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 73 miles; KANSAS CITY, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
- JOHNSON COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 75 miles; OVERLAND PARK, KS; Full-time enrollment: 8,857)
Public primary/middle school in Schell City:
- NORTHEAST VERNON CO. R-I ELEM. (Students: 129; Location: 2ND & HICKORY; Grades: PK – 06)