According to electronicsmatter, Savage, Minnesota is a small city located in the southwestern part of the state, just fifteen miles from Minneapolis. It is situated on the banks of the Minnesota River and has a population of roughly 26,000 people. The city was founded in 1854 by William Savage, who named it after himself.
The city has a long history that includes being home to some of the earliest settlers in Minnesota. Savage’s first settlers were mostly farmers and loggers who were attracted to the area for its rich soil and abundant timber resources. Over time, Savage evolved into an industrial center with many businesses such as flour mills, sawmills, and pottery factories.
Today, Savage is known for its small-town charm while still being close enough to Minneapolis to enjoy all of its amenities. The downtown area has plenty of shops and restaurants that offer something for everyone. There are also several parks and trails throughout the city that provide plenty of outdoor activities such as biking, hiking, fishing, and more.
According to foodezine, Savage also boasts some unique attractions such as Murphy-Hanrehan Park Reserve which offers over 600 acres of prairie land and woods for visitors to explore. The park also has a variety of wildlife including coyotes, deer, foxes, rabbits, hawks, owls and more! Additionally there are several golf courses in town which are popular among locals and tourists alike.
For those looking for something more educational there is also Valleyfair Amusement Park which offers rides and attractions suitable for all ages as well as museums like The Minnesota Zoo which showcases animals from around the world! Additionally there are several lakes nearby offering great opportunities for swimming or boating during the summer months.
Overall, Savage offers something for everyone whether you’re looking for outdoor activities or simply want to enjoy some small-town charm while still being close enough to Minneapolis to take advantage of all it has to offer.
Population: 21,115. Estimated population in July 2020: 26,581 (+25.9% change)
Males: 10,743 (50.9%), Females: 10,372 (49.1%)
Zip code: 55378
Median resident age: 31.4 years
Median household income: $75,097
Median house value: $168,400
Races in Savage:
- White Non-Hispanic (89.9%)
- Other Asian (2.1%)
- Hispanic (1.6%)
- Black (1.6%)
- Two or more races (1.4%)
- Vietnamese (1.2%)
- Chinese (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- Asian Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (41.0%), Norwegian (19.3%), Irish (15.3%), Swedish (10.5%), English (7.6%), Polish (4.3%).
Elevation: 720 feet
Land area: 15.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Savage
- High school or higher: 95.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 41.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.8%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Savage city
- Never married: 17.8%
- Now married: 72.9%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 1.7%
- Divorced: 6.9%
6.1% Foreign born (4.0% Asia, 0.7% Europe, 0.6% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +11,143 (+111.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Savage:
- FAIRVIEW RIDGES HOSPITAL (about 6 miles; BURNSVILLE, MN)
- FAIRVIEW SOUTHDALE HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; EDINA, MN)
- ST FRANCIS REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 12 miles; SHAKOPEE, MN)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Savage:
- MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL INTL/WOLD-CHAMBERLAIN/ (about 13 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Abbreviation: MSP)
- ST CLOUD REGIONAL (about 72 miles; ST CLOUD, MN; Abbreviation: STC)
- ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL (about 85 miles; ROCHESTER, MN; Abbreviation: RST)
Other public-use airports nearest to Savage:
- FLYING CLOUD (about 8 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Abbreviation: FCM)
- MARTY’S TRANQUILITY BASE (about 10 miles; PRIOR LAKE, MN; Abbreviation: 45D)
- AIRLAKE (about 14 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Abbreviation: LVN)
Amtrak station near Savage:
- 19 miles: ST. PAUL/MINNEAPOLIS (ST. PAUL, 730 TRANSFER RD.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Savage:
- NORMANDALE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 6 miles; BLOOMINGTON, MN; Full-time enrollment: 4,636)
- MINNEAPOLIS COMMUNITY AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 16 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,857)
- AUGSBURG COLLEGE (about 17 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,662)
- BROWN INSTITUTE LTD (about 17 miles; MENDOTA HEIGHTS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,171)
- UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA-TWIN CITIES (about 17 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Full-time enrollment: 36,289)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 18 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 7,652)
- COLLEGE OF SAINT CATHERINE-SAINT PAUL CAMPUS (about 18 miles; ST PAUL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,492)
Public high school in Savage:
- PRIOR LAKE SR. (Students: 1,607; Location: 7575 150TH ST. W.; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Savage:
- EAGLE RIDGE JR. (Students: 900; Location: 13955 GLENDALE RD.; Grades: 07 – 09)
- HIDDEN VALLEY EL. (Students: 744; Location: 13875 GLENDALE AVE.; Grades: KG – 06)
- HARRIET BISHOP EL. (Students: 690; Location: 14400 O’CONNELL RD.; Grades: KG – 06)
- GLENDALE EL. (Students: 661; Location: 6601 CONNELLY PARKWAY; Grades: KG – 06)
- M.W. SAVAGE EL. (Students: 633; Location: 4819 W. 126TH ST.; Grades: KG – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Savage:
- ST JOHN THE BAPTIST SCHOOL (Students: 808; Location: 12508 LYNN AVE SOUTH; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Savage:
- SCOTT COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $1,634,840; Location: 13090 ALABAMA AV S; 159,186 books; 7,506 audio materials; 6,342 video materials; 356 serial subscriptions)