According to bestitude, Sarona, Wisconsin is a small town located in Washburn County with a population of approximately 300 people. Located in the northwest corner of the state, Sarona is nestled among rolling hills and dense forests. It is a scenic, peaceful community that offers plenty of outdoor activities and plenty of opportunities to connect with nature.
The main street in Sarona is lined with quaint shops and restaurants that cater to locals as well as visitors. The town has two churches, a library, and several parks. The nearby Lake Wissota State Park offers camping, swimming, fishing, boating, and other activities for those who want to explore the outdoors.
Sarona’s economy is largely based on tourism and agriculture. Many local businesses rely on visitors coming to enjoy the area’s natural beauty or engaging in activities such as hunting or fishing. Agriculture is also an important part of the local economy; farms in the surrounding area grow hay, corn, oats, wheat, soybeans and vegetables for sale at local markets or for shipping elsewhere.
According to beautyphoon, the community takes pride in its heritage; many families have lived here for generations and passed down stories from their ancestors about life in Sarona from years past. There are several festivals throughout the year that celebrate this history; some of these include Oktoberfest (held every fall), Christmas Eve celebrations at the local church (held every December 24th), Fourth of July fireworks (held annually), among others.
Sarona is also home to a variety of wildlife including deer, wild turkeys, foxes, coyotes and more which can be seen roaming through town or along its many trails throughout the year. These trails provide an opportunity for hikers to explore the area’s natural beauty while getting some exercise along the way.
In addition to its outdoor recreation opportunities and charming atmosphere Sarona also has excellent schools; it has two elementary schools as well as one middle/high school which serves students from kindergarten through 12th grade. The schools offer a wide range of educational experiences including music programs such as band and orchestra classes as well as art classes which allow students to explore their creative side while learning valuable skills along the way.
Overall Sarona is an ideal place for those who want to escape the hustle-and-bustle of city life while still having access to amenities that make life easier such as grocery stores or medical facilities nearby when needed. It’s an idyllic small town where people can connect with nature while still enjoying all that modern life has to offer; it truly has something for everyone.
Population: 382. Estimated population in July 2020: 404 (+5.8% change)
Males: 204 (53.4%), Females: 178 (46.6%)
Zip code: 54870
Median resident age: 41.1 years
Median household income: $30,357
Median house value: $69,600
Races in Sarona:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
- American Indian (2.9%)
- Two or more races (2.9%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (47.1%), Norwegian (11.3%), Czech (9.4%), French (9.2%), Irish (8.6%), English (6.8%).
Elevation: 1300 feet
For population 25 years and over in Sarona
- High school or higher: 83.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 7.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sarona town
- Never married: 19.4%
- Now married: 54.2%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 12.2%
- Divorced: 11.9%
2.1% Foreign born (1.0% North America, 0.5% Europe, 0.5% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: -10 (-2.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sarona:
- INDIANHEAD MEDICAL CTR SHELL LAKE (about 14 miles; SHELL LAKE, WI)
- SPOONER HEALTH SYSTEM 84 (about 14 miles; SPOONER, WI)
- LAKEVIEW MEDICAL CENTER (about 15 miles; RICE LAKE, WI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sarona:
- CHIPPEWA VALLEY REGIONAL (about 64 miles; EAU CLAIRE, WI; Abbreviation: EAU)
- DULUTH INTL (about 82 miles; DULUTH, MN; Abbreviation: DLH)
- MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL INTL/WOLD-CHAMBERLAIN/ (about 114 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Abbreviation: MSP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sarona:
- SHELL LAKE MUNI (about 8 miles; SHELL LAKE, WI; Abbreviation: SSQ)
- CUMBERLAND MUNI (about 19 miles; CUMBERLAND, WI; Abbreviation: UBE)
- RICE LAKE REGIONAL – CARL’S FIELD (about 21 miles; RICE LAKE, WI; Abbreviation: RPD)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sarona:
- WISCONSIN INDIANHEAD TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 14 miles; Shell Lake, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,045)
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-STOUT (about 59 miles; MENOMONIE, WI; Full-time enrollment: 7,183)
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-EAU CLAIRE (about 68 miles; EAU CLAIRE, WI; Full-time enrollment: 9,866)
- CHIPPEWA VALLEY TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 68 miles; EAU CLAIRE, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,601)
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-SUPERIOR (about 70 miles; SUPERIOR, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,436)
- UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA-DULUTH (about 78 miles; DULUTH, MN; Full-time enrollment: 8,224)
- LAKE SUPERIOR COLLEGE (about 81 miles; DULUTH, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,512)