According to Ezinesports, Sand Point is a small town located on beautiful Popof Island in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. It is situated at the junction of the Bering Sea and the Pacific Ocean, making it a prime spot for fishing and other sea-based activities. With a population of just over 1,000 people, Sand Point is one of the smaller towns in Alaska but still offers plenty to do and see.
The town’s landscape consists mainly of rolling hills, meadows, and small ponds. In addition to this natural beauty, there are also several man-made attractions such as a golf course, tennis courts, and an airstrip. The harbor is home to a number of fishing vessels and there are many opportunities for recreational activities such as kayaking and whale watching.
The town itself has several businesses that serve the local population including grocery stores, restaurants, bars, banks, hardware stores and more. There are also several churches in town that offer services for members of all faiths.
According to Fashionissupreme, Sand Point has its own school district which serves students from kindergarten through twelfth grade. The schools offer an excellent education with smaller class sizes than traditional public schools in larger cities. In addition to academics, students can participate in various extracurricular activities such as basketball or soccer teams or participate in music or drama productions.
Despite its size Sand Point is home to some unique attractions including an old Russian Orthodox Church which dates back to 1891 when Russians first settled on Popof Island as part of their fur trading efforts with Native Americans living there at the time. There is also a museum which showcases artifacts from this era as well as other historical items from throughout Alaska’s past.
Sand Point is known for having some of the best weather in Alaska due to its location near both the ocean and mountains which protect it from strong winds or extreme temperatures year-round. This makes it an ideal place for outdoor activities like hiking or biking during summer months while winter months bring snow activities like skiing or snowshoeing among others.
Overall Sand Point is an idyllic small town with plenty to offer visitors looking for a tranquil getaway amidst stunning natural beauty combined with friendly locals who are always happy to help out newcomers who come looking for adventure amidst Alaska’s wild terrain.
Population: 952. Estimated population in July 2020: 951 (-0.1% change)
Males: 593 (62.3%), Females: 359 (37.7%)
Zip code: 99661
Median resident age: 36.5 years
Median household income: $55,417
Median house value: $95,000
Races in Sand Point:
- American Indian (44.2%)
- Filipino (21.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (17.0%)
- Hispanic (13.6%)
- Two or more races (2.7%)
- Other race (2.2%)
- Vietnamese (1.9%)
- Black (1.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Irish (5.8%), Norwegian (5.1%), German (3.4%), English (3.3%), Russian (1.6%), Scottish (1.5%).
Land area: 7.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Sand Point
- High school or higher: 80.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 30.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 6.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sand Point city
- Never married: 28.0%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 5.1%
- Widowed: 2.7%
- Divorced: 7.6%
22.8% Foreign born (17.5% Asia, 3.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +77 (+8.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sand Point:
- BRISTOL BAY AREA HEALTH CORP (about 293 miles; DILLINGHAM, AK)
- YUKON KUSKOKWIM DELTA REG HOSPITAL (about 386 miles; BETHEL, AK)
- PROVIDENCE KODIAK ISLAND MEDICAL CENTE (about 577 miles; KODIAK, AK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sand Point:
- SAND POINT (about 3 miles; SAND POINT, AK; Abbreviation: SDP)
- COLD BAY (about 155 miles; COLD BAY, AK; Abbreviation: CDB)
- DILLINGHAM (about 289 miles; DILLINGHAM, AK; Abbreviation: DLG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sand Point:
- SQUAW HARBOR (about 9 miles; SQUAW HARBOR, AK; Abbreviation: 36H)
- JOHNSONS LANDING (about 51 miles; BEAR LAKE, AK; Abbreviation: Z52)
- NELSON LAGOON (about 65 miles; NELSON LAGOON, AK; Abbreviation: Z73)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sand Point:
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA ANCHORAGE (about 842 miles; ANCHORAGE, AK; Full-time enrollment: 9,453)
- UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA FAIRBANKS (about 1094 miles; FAIRBANKS, AK; Full-time enrollment: 5,034)
- BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY-HAWAII CAMPUS (about 2322 miles; LAIE, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- LEEWARD COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 2338 miles; PEARL CITY, HI; Full-time enrollment: 3,511)
- HONOLULU COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 2344 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 2,787)
- HAWAII PACIFIC UNIVERSITY (about 2345 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 6,186)
- UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII AT MANOA (about 2345 miles; HONOLULU, HI; Full-time enrollment: 14,113)
Public high school in Sand Point:
- ALEUTIANS EAST CORRESPONDENCE SCHOOL (Students: 1; Location: PO BOX 429; Grades: 07 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Sand Point:
- SAND POINT SCHOOL (Students: 135; Location: 123 RED COVE ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
Library in Sand Point:
- SAND POINT SCHOOL/COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $29,991; Location: SAND POINT SCHOOL; 7,650 books; 25 audio materials; 430 video materials; 48 serial subscriptions)