According to biotionary, Saltville, Virginia is a small town located in the heart of Southwest Virginia in Smyth County. The town is situated between the Appalachian Mountains and the Blue Ridge Mountains, making it a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts. The population of Saltville is just over 2,000 people, making it the smallest incorporated town in Virginia.
The town was established in 1790 and was named after its salt deposits. Salt production began around 1800 and quickly became a major industry for the area. A thriving salt-works industry grew up around Saltville, attracting workers from all over the country. By 1820, it was one of the largest salt-producing centers in the United States with more than 20 salt companies operating within its boundaries.
Salt production continued to be an important part of life in Saltville until about 1950 when it started to decline due to competition from other areas and increased automation of production processes. However, several businesses remain that still make use of the area’s natural resources including a glass factory and several coal mines.
Today, Saltville is best known for its rich history and culture as well as its outdoor recreation opportunities. Visitors can enjoy hiking along trails that wind through dense forests or explore nearby caves filled with fossils from long ago creatures such as mastodons and mammoths. Other attractions include historical sites such as Fort Chiswell, which dates back to 1756; historic buildings like Stonewall Jackson’s birthplace; museums such as Meadowview Regional Medical Center; and even a Civil War battlefield at nearby Wytheville where Stonewall Jackson fought his last battle before being fatally wounded at Chancellorsville in 1863.
According to bittranslators, the community also hosts many events throughout the year including festivals like Taste of Smyth County which celebrates local food; The Annual Heritage Festival which features traditional music, dancing and storytelling; plus art shows like Art on Main Street which showcases works by local artists.
Overall, Saltville is a charming small town with plenty to offer visitors looking for a unique experience steeped in history and culture while surrounded by breathtaking natural beauty. Whether you’re looking for outdoor recreation or just want to explore someplace different than what you’re used to seeing, Saltville should be at the top of your list.
Population: 2,204. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,267 (+2.9% change)
Males: 1,040 (47.2%), Females: 1,164 (52.8%)
Zip code: 24370
Median resident age: 39.4 years
Median household income: $29,917
Median house value: $54,600
Races in Saltville:
- White Non-Hispanic (98.6%)
Ancestries: United States (23.4%), English (9.3%), German (6.2%), Irish (5.9%), French (2.2%), Italian (1.7%).
Elevation: 1718 feet
Land area: 8.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Saltville
- High school or higher: 67.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 7.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Saltville town
- Never married: 16.1%
- Now married: 59.6%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 12.5%
- Divorced: 8.7%
0.9% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -87 (-3.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Saltville:
- CLINCH VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER (about 16 miles; RICHLANDS, VA)
- SMYTH COUNTY COMM HOSP (about 17 miles; MARION, VA)
- SOUTHWESTERN VA MENTAL HEALTH INST (about 17 miles; MARION, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Saltville:
- TRI-CITIES RGNL TN/VA (about 53 miles; BRISTOL/JOHNSON/KINGSPORT, TN; Abbreviation: TRI)
- RALEIGH COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 77 miles; BECKLEY, WV; Abbreviation: BKW)
- HICKORY REGIONAL (about 83 miles; HICKORY, NC; Abbreviation: HKY)
Other public-use airports nearest to Saltville:
- TAZEWELL COUNTY (about 13 miles; RICHLANDS, VA; Abbreviation: 6V3)
- VIRGINIA HIGHLANDS (about 23 miles; ABINGDON, VA; Abbreviation: VJI)
- MOUNTAIN EMPIRE (about 30 miles; MARION/WYTHEVILLE, VA; Abbreviation: MKJ)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Saltville:
- SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 16 miles; RICHLANDS, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,412)
- APPALACHIAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 45 miles; BOONE, NC; Full-time enrollment: 12,245)
- BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 47 miles; BLUEFIELD, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,096)
- NORTHEAST STATE TECHNICAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 49 miles; BLOUNTVILLE, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,729)
- EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 58 miles; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Full-time enrollment: 9,498)
- CONCORD COLLEGE (about 66 miles; ATHENS, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,723)
- NEW RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 77 miles; DUBLIN, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,262)
Public high school in Saltville:
- NORTHWOOD HIGH (Students: 301; Location: 305 PANTHER LN; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Saltville:
- NORTHWOOD MIDDLE (Students: 275; Location: 156 LONG HOLLOW RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SALTVILLE ELEM. (Students: 270; Location: 1013 E MAIN ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- RICH VALLEY ELEM (Students: 198; Location: 196 LONG HOLLOW RD; Grades: PK – 05)