According to watchtutorials, Roxie, Mississippi is a small unincorporated community located in Franklin County. It is situated on the banks of the Homochitto River and lies at the intersection of Mississippi Highways 24 and 84. The population as of the 2010 census was 1,964.
Roxie has a rich history that dates back to 1821 when it was founded by Thomas A. Lyle and his wife, Margaret. At this time it was known as “Lylesville” and served as a trading post for local farmers and ranchers. The town was renamed Roxie in 1844 after one of Thomas’ daughters who had recently died at a young age.
The area around Roxie is primarily agricultural with many farms producing cotton, soybeans, corn, rice and other crops. There are also several timber companies that operate in the area harvesting lumber for use in furniture manufacturing and other industries.
According to ablogtophone, Roxie is home to many churches such as Mount Olive Missionary Baptist Church, Antioch Missionary Baptist Church, First Baptist Church of Roxie and Community United Methodist Church just to name a few. There are also several community centers located throughout town that offer various recreational activities such as basketball courts, tennis courts and swimming pools for residents to enjoy year round.
The town has several small businesses including restaurants like B&D Barbeque & Grill which serves up some delicious southern-style cooking; grocery stores like Piggly Wiggly; gas stations like Mac’s Grocery & Gas; hardware stores like Ace Hardware; auto repair shops like J&J Automotive; banks such as BankPlus; convenience stores like Walgreens; pharmacies like Walgreens Pharmacy plus much more!
Roxie is also home to the Franklin County School District which operates two elementary schools (Roxie Elementary School & Eastside Elementary School) along with one middle school (Franklin County Middle School) plus one high school (Franklin County High School). Students from these schools have gone on to attend some of the top universities in the nation including Harvard University and Stanford University among others!
In addition to its educational opportunities, Roxie offers its residents plenty of recreational activities such as fishing on the Homochitto River or visiting nearby attractions such as The Homochitto National Forest or Natchez Trace Parkway which runs through town offering scenic views along its winding roads.
Overall, Roxie is an excellent place to live with its friendly people, beautiful scenery and abundance of amenities making it an ideal destination for anyone looking for small town living with big city amenities.
Population: 569. Estimated population in July 2020: 564 (-0.9% change)
Males: 267 (46.9%), Females: 302 (53.1%)
Zip code: 39661
Median resident age: 29.4 years
Median household income: $24,276
Median house value: $39,400
Races in Roxie:
- Black (58.9%)
- White Non-Hispanic (39.5%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
- Hispanic (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (15.1%), Scotch-Irish (4.4%), German (2.8%), Irish (2.6%), English (1.6%), Italian (1.2%).
Elevation: 232 feet
Land area: 1.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Roxie
- High school or higher: 71.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 12.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 44.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roxie town
- Never married: 31.6%
- Now married: 50.7%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 10.1%
- Divorced: 5.8%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +3 (+0.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Roxie:
- FRANKLIN COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; MEADVILLE, MS)
- JEFFERSON COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; FAYETTE, MS)
- NATCHEZ COMMUNITY HOSPITAL/SWING BED (about 20 miles; NATCHEZ, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Roxie:
- HARDY-ANDERS FIELD NATCHEZ-ADAMS COUNTY (about 17 miles; NATCHEZ, MS; Abbreviation: HEZ)
- BATON ROUGE METROPOLITAN, RYAN FIELD (about 69 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Abbreviation: BTR)
- JACKSON INTERNATIONAL (about 89 miles; JACKSON, MS; Abbreviation: JAN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Roxie:
- CROSBY MUNICIPAL (about 16 miles; CROSBY, MS; Abbreviation: C71)
- CONCORDIA PARISH (about 31 miles; VIDALIA, LA; Abbreviation: 0R4)
- TENSAS PARISH (about 35 miles; ST JOSEPH, LA; Abbreviation: L33)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Roxie:
- ALCORN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; ALCORN STATE, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,594)
- HINDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 66 miles; RAYMOND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY AND A & M COLLEGE (about 69 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 8,399)
- MISSISSIPPI COLLEGE (about 73 miles; CLINTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,904)
- LOUISIANA STATE UNIV & AG & MECH & HEBERT LAWS CTR (about 77 miles; BATON ROUGE, LA; Full-time enrollment: 28,696)
- SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA UNIVERSITY (about 80 miles; HAMMOND, LA; Full-time enrollment: 12,549)
- JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 81 miles; JACKSON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 5,955)