According to growtheology, Rosedale, Mississippi is a small town located in Bolivar County in the northwestern part of the state. It has an estimated population of around 2,000 people and sits on the banks of the Mississippi River. The town is known for its rich history, including being a stop on the legendary blues circuit during the 1920s and 30s.
The town was named after Rosedale Plantation, which was owned by Joseph Gartman in 1853. He named it after his daughter, Rose. During this time, cotton was one of the main crops grown in Rosedale and it remains an important industry to this day.
Rosedale is home to some interesting historical attractions such as the old cotton gin factory and levee museum which documents life along the Mississippi River during that time period. There are also two churches that were built in 1872; one is African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Zion Church and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.
The town is also home to a number of businesses including restaurants, convenience stores, and even an RV park for travelers looking for a place to stay while passing through Rosedale. There are also several parks located around town such as Grays Lake Park where visitors can enjoy fishing or take a leisurely stroll along its walking trails.
According to homethodology.com, Rosedale offers residents many recreational activities such as golfing at Country Club Golf Course or visiting nearby Lake Washington which offers fishing, boating and swimming opportunities throughout the year. The area also features several festivals throughout each year such as Catfish Festival held each May or July Jamboree held each July 4th weekend which both offer live music and delicious food options for visitors to enjoy.
Though small in size, Rosedale has much to offer residents and visitors alike with its rich history and culture plus plenty of outdoor activities to keep everyone entertained year round! From historic sites to outdoor recreation spots; there’s something for everyone in this charming little Mississippi town.
Population: 2,414. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,421 (+0.3% change)
Males: 1,111 (46.0%), Females: 1,303 (54.0%)
Zip code: 38769
Median resident age: 28.3 years
Median household income: $17,955
Median house value: $43,500
Races in Rosedale:
- Black (82.0%)
- White Non-Hispanic (16.8%)
- Hispanic (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.6%)
Ancestries: United States (3.2%), English (1.9%), Irish (1.6%).
Elevation: 145 feet
Land area: 5.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Rosedale
- High school or higher: 58.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 21.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rosedale city
- Never married: 46.7%
- Now married: 31.8%
- Separated: 5.2%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 8.2%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -163 (-6.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Rosedale:
- BOLIVAR MEDICAL CENTER (about 23 miles; CLEVELAND, MS)
- MCGEHEE-DESHA COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 30 miles; MCGEHEE, AR)
- KINGS DAUGHTERS HOSPITAL (about 33 miles; GREENVILLE, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rosedale:
- MID DELTA RGNL (about 27 miles; GREENVILLE, MS; Abbreviation: GLH)
- ADAMS FIELD (about 102 miles; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Abbreviation: LIT)
- LITTLE ROCK AFB (about 105 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: LRF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rosedale:
- CLEVELAND MUNI (about 21 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Abbreviation: RNV)
- MC GEHEE MUNI (about 28 miles; MC GEHEE, AR; Abbreviation: 7M1)
- DE WITT MUNI (about 34 miles; DE WITT, AR; Abbreviation: 5M1)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rosedale:
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 22 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,288)
- MISSISSIPPI DELTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; MOORHEAD, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 55 miles; ITTA BENA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,297)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT MONTICELLO (about 58 miles; Monticello, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,048)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS AT PINE BLUFF (about 71 miles; PINE BLUFF, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,801)
- NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 91 miles; SENATOBIA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,842)
- HOLMES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 101 miles; GOODMAN, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,485)
Public high schools in Rosedale:
- WEST BOLIVAR DIST HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 326; Location: 505 N. MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
- JOE BARNES VOCATIONAL CENTER (Location: 500 BRADFORD ST; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Rosedale:
- WEST BOLIVAR ELEM (Students: 455; Location: 1308 S. MAIN STREET; Grades: KG – 04)
- WEST BOLIVAR DISTRICT MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 378; Location: 1307 S. MAIN STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)