Rome, the county seat of Floyd County, was incorporated as a city December 29, 1847.
The Floyd County courthouse in Rome was constructed in 1892 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The origin of the city’s name is quite interesting. It has been said that five travelers met at a spring in Rome, agreeing that it would be a fine place to start a city. They would establish the city by each placing a suggestion for a city name in a hat. Colonel Daniel R. Mitchell, who stated that the landscape of the city reminded him of Rome, Italy, drew the name.
Rome is home to numerous landmarks, monuments, and museums honoring the heritage of the city. Every October, Rome hosts the Heritage Days to pay tribute to those who made this possible. Also, the Festa Roma festival is held in Rome during the month of July.
The Myrtle Hill Cemetery is home to the Tomb of the Known Soldier, the gravesite of Mrs. Woodrow Wilson, and a statue to commemorate those who died in the Civil War.
Rome is home to two state-supported schools, Floyd College and Coosa Valley Technical Institute. Shorter College, a private four-year school, is also located in Rome. Also, Rome is home to Berry College, a private four-year college.
Rome is located at 115 km northwest of Atlanta.Rome was built on seven hills. The connection to the Italian city is underscored by the statue in front of City Hall: It’s a bronze reproduction of the famous sculpture of the wolf that nursed Romulus and Remus, the twin founders of ancient Rome. The city received the statue as a gift from Mussolini in 1929, before Il Duce went on to commit less friendly acts.
Population: 34,980. Estimated population in July 2020: 35,816 (+2.4% change)
Males: 16,586 (47.4%), Females: 18,394 (52.6%)
Zip codes: 30161, 30165.
Median resident age: 34.6 years
Median household income: $30,930
Median house value: $87,100
Races in Rome:
- White Non-Hispanic (59.2%)
- Black (27.7%)
- Hispanic (10.3%)
- Other race (5.6%)
- Two or more races (1.6%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Asian Indian (0.5%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (13.2%), English (6.9%), Irish (6.7%), German (4.2%), Scottish (1.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%).
Elevation: 605 feet
Land area: 29.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Rome
- High school or higher: 68.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 18.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.0%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 20.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rome city
- Never married: 28.6%
- Now married: 47.3%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 9.9%
- Divorced: 11.8%
8.9% Foreign born (7.0% Latin America, 1.3% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,894 (+9.0%).
Hospitals/medical centers in Rome:
- FLOYD MEDICAL CENTER (304 TURNER MCCALL BLVD P O BOX 233)
- NW GA REGIONAL HOSP (400 REDMOND ROAD)
- REDMOND REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (501 REDMOND RD)
- SPECIALTY HOSPITAL AT FLOYD MED CTR (304 TURNER MCCALL BLVD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rome:
Other public-use airports nearest to Rome:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Rome:
- SHORTER COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,896; Location: 315 SHORTER AVE; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.shorter.edu; Offers Master’s degree)
- FLOYD COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,443; Location: PO BOX 1864; Public; Website: www.fc.peachnet.edu)
- COOSA VALLEY TECHNICAL COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 1,401; Location: ONE MAURICE CULBERSON DR; Public; Website: www.cvtcollege.org)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rome:
- KENNESAW STATE UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; KENNESAW, GA; Full-time enrollment: 9,589)
- GADSDEN STATE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; GADSDEN, AL; Full-time enrollment: 3,360)
- STATE UNIVERSITY OF WEST GEORGIA (about 48 miles; CARROLLTON, GA; Full-time enrollment: 7,241)
- LIFE UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,881)
- SOUTHERN POLYTECHNIC STATE UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,559)
- CHATTAHOOCHEE TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 50 miles; MARIETTA, GA; Full-time enrollment: 2,012)
- JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Full-time enrollment: 6,418)
Public high schools in Rome:
- ROME HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,455; Location: 1000 VETERAN’S MEMORIAL HIGHWA; Grades: 09 – 12)
- COOSA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 728; Location: 4454 ALABAMA HIGHWAY, NW; Grades: 09 – 12)
- ARMUCHEE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 607; Location: 4203 MARTHA BERRY BLVD.; Grades: 09 – 12)
- MODEL 9-12 HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 575; Location: 3252 CALHOUN HWY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- S.P.I.C.E. (Students: 11; Location: 100 VOCATIONAL DRIVE, SW; Grades: 10 – 12)
Private high schools in Rome:
- DARLINGTON SCHOOL (Students: 875; Location: 1014 CAVE SPRING ROAD; Grades: PK – 12)
- ROME CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 20; Location: PO BOX 1023/3003 NEW CALHOUN; Grades: 9 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Rome:
- ROME MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 897; Location: 1020 VETERAN’S MEMORIAL HIGHWA; Grades: 07 – 08)
- WEST END ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 696; Location: 5 BROWN FOX DRIVE; Grades: KG – 06)
- COOSA MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 593; Location: 212 EAGLE DRIVE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- MODEL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 569; Location: 3200 CALHOUN HIGHWAY, NE; Grades: PK – 05)
- MODEL 6-8 MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 547; Location: 164 BARRON ROAD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- GARDEN LAKES ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 538; Location: 2903 GARDEN LAKES BOULEVARD, N; Grades: PK – 05)
- GLENWOOD PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 518; Location: 75 GLENWOOD SCHOOL ROAD, NE; Grades: PK – 02)
- ARMUCHEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 518; Location: 5075 MARTHA BERRY HIGHWAY, NW; Grades: 03 – 05)
- WEST CENTRAL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 486; Location: 409 LAVENDER DRIVE, NW; Grades: PK – 06)
- JOHNSON ELEMENTARY (Students: 483; Location: 1839 MORRISON CAMPGROUND ROAD; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Rome:
- ST MARY SCHOOL (Students: 187; Location: 401 EAST SEVENTH STREET; Grades: KG – 8)
- MONTESSORI SCHOOL OF ROME (Students: 107; Location: 165 DODD BLVD; Grades: PK – 5)
- NORTH ROME CHRISTIAN LEARNING (Students: 50; Location: 1929 NORTH BROAD STREET; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Rome:
- SARA HIGHTOWER REGIONAL LIBRARY SYSTEM (Operating income: $2,221,775; Location: 205 RIVERSIDE PARKWAY, NE; 419,691 books; 22,730 audio materials; 8,129 video materials; 299 serial subscriptions)