According to Whicheverhealth, Rolling Fork is a small town in Sharkey County, Mississippi. The population of Rolling Fork is just over 2,000 people, and it has been around since the early 1800s. It was originally founded as a trading post for local farmers and merchants.
The town sits on the banks of the Mississippi River and is surrounded by lush green forests and rolling hills. It’s a peaceful place, with plenty of outdoor activities like fishing, hunting, camping, and boating to keep people busy.
The downtown area of Rolling Fork is lined with historic buildings that offer unique shopping experiences, restaurants, and other small businesses. There are also several churches in town – Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian – that have been around for generations.
One of the main attractions in Rolling Fork is the historic plantation homes that have been preserved or restored over time. These homes are open to visitors who want to get a glimpse into what life was like during the Civil War era in Mississippi. Many of these homes still have original furniture and artifacts from that time period on display inside them.
According to IAMACCEPTED, the people of Rolling Fork are friendly and welcoming to newcomers who want to experience their small-town charm firsthand. There’s an annual festival called The Catfish Festival which celebrates the local catch with live music and plenty of fried catfish for everyone!
In recent years Rolling Fork has seen an influx of new businesses opening up in town as well as investment from outside sources which has helped revitalize some areas and attract more visitors to the area.
Overall, Rolling Fork is an idyllic little town full of history and beauty – perfect for those looking for a peaceful escape from city life or just an enjoyable day trip out into nature.
Population: 2,486. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,237 (-10.0% change)
Males: 1,132 (45.5%), Females: 1,354 (54.5%)
Zip code: 39159
Median resident age: 31.9 years
Median household income: $23,081
Median house value: $54,200
Races in Rolling Fork:
- Black (69.2%)
- White Non-Hispanic (29.6%)
- Hispanic (1.0%)
- Two or more races (0.8%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: United States (6.5%), English (4.3%), Irish (2.6%), German (1.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.6%), Italian (1.3%).
Elevation: 101 feet
Land area: 1.4 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Rolling Fork
- High school or higher: 59.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 14.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 22.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rolling Fork city
- Never married: 37.2%
- Now married: 35.7%
- Separated: 5.6%
- Widowed: 13.6%
- Divorced: 7.9%
0.4% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +55 (+2.3%).
Hospital/medical center in Rolling Fork:
- SHARKEY ISAQUENA COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (108 S 4 ST)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Rolling Fork:
- EAST CARROLL PARISH HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; LAKE PROVIDENCE, LA)
- DELTA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 24 miles; GREENVILLE, MS)
- KINGS DAUGHTERS HOSPITAL SWING BED (about 30 miles; YAZOO CITY, MS)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rolling Fork:
- MID DELTA RGNL (about 40 miles; GREENVILLE, MS; Abbreviation: GLH)
- JACKSON INTERNATIONAL (about 70 miles; JACKSON, MS; Abbreviation: JAN)
- MONROE REGIONAL (about 85 miles; MONROE, LA; Abbreviation: MLU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rolling Fork:
- HOLLANDALE MUNI (about 19 miles; HOLLANDALE, MS; Abbreviation: 14M)
- BYERLEY (about 22 miles; LAKE PROVIDENCE, LA; Abbreviation: 0M8)
- YAZOO COUNTY (about 30 miles; YAZOO CITY, MS; Abbreviation: 87I)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rolling Fork:
- MISSISSIPPI DELTA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 46 miles; MOORHEAD, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,486)
- DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 50 miles; CLEVELAND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 3,288)
- MISSISSIPPI COLLEGE (about 53 miles; CLINTON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,904)
- HINDS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 55 miles; RAYMOND, MS; Full-time enrollment: 10,057)
- MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 56 miles; ITTA BENA, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,297)
- JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 63 miles; JACKSON, MS; Full-time enrollment: 5,955)
- HOLMES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 68 miles; GOODMAN, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,485)
Public high schools in Rolling Fork:
- SOUTH DELTA HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 356; Location: 303 PARKWAY; Grades: 09 – 12)
- SOUTH DELTA VOCATIONAL COMPLEX (Location: 285 MAPLE STREET; Grades: 10 – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Rolling Fork:
- SOUTH DELTA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 656; Location: 138 WEATHERS AVENUE; Grades: KG – 05)