According to electronicsmatter, Rembrandt, Iowa is a small rural town located in Palo Alto County in the north-central part of the state. The population of Rembrandt was 501 as of 2019, making it one of the smallest towns in Iowa. The town was founded by Dutch immigrants and is named after the famous Dutch painter Rembrandt van Rijn.
Rembrandt sits on land that was first settled in 1857 and has remained a small farming community throughout its history. The main industries are agriculture and manufacturing, with corn, soybeans, hogs, and cattle being major products. Rembrandt is home to a variety of businesses including grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, hardware stores, and banks.
The town has several churches representing various denominations including Methodist, Lutheran, Baptist and Catholic faiths as well as non-denominational churches. There are also several unique attractions such as the Rembrandt Historical Museum which features artifacts from the town’s past such as photographs and old newspapers.
The community is served by the Rembrandt Community School District which consists of an elementary school for grades K-8 and a high school for grades 9-12. The school district has made great strides in recent years to provide quality education to its students with an emphasis on technology integration into curricula across all grade levels.
According to foodezine, the town also has an active volunteer fire department that provides fire protection services to the area along with emergency medical response when needed. Overall Rembrandt is a peaceful rural community with friendly people who take pride in their small town heritage and look forward to welcoming newcomers into their close knit community.
With its small population size yet big hearted people there is much to love about this little corner of Iowa known as Rembrandt.
Population: 228. Estimated population in July 2020: 223 (-2.2% change)
Males: 111 (48.7%), Females: 117 (51.3%)
Buena Vista County
Zip code: 50576
Median resident age: 36.8 years
Median household income: $34,375
Median house value: $30,800
Races in Rembrandt:
- White Non-Hispanic (100.0%)
Ancestries: German (37.7%), Irish (16.2%), Norwegian (14.0%), English (13.6%), United States (10.5%), French (5.7%).
Elevation: 1335 feet
Land area: 0.2 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Rembrandt
- High school or higher: 83.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 1.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Rembrandt city
- Never married: 16.8%
- Now married: 61.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 12.1%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +18 (+8.6%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Rembrandt:
- BUENA VISTA REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; STORM LAKE, IA)
- SPENCER MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL (about 23 miles; SPENCER, IA)
- MENTAL HEALTH INSTITUTE (about 27 miles; CHEROKEE, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Rembrandt:
- FORT DODGE REGIONAL (about 71 miles; FORT DODGE, IA; Abbreviation: FOD)
- SIOUX GATEWAY/COL. BUD DAY FIELD (about 90 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Abbreviation: SUX)
- EPPLEY AIRFIELD (about 117 miles; OMAHA, NE; Abbreviation: OMA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Rembrandt:
- STORM LAKE MUNI (about 18 miles; STORM LAKE, IA; Abbreviation: SLB)
- SPENCER MUNI (about 23 miles; SPENCER, IA; Abbreviation: SPW)
- CHEROKEE MUNI (about 28 miles; CHEROKEE, IA; Abbreviation: CKP)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Rembrandt:
- BUENA VISTA UNIVERSITY (about 13 miles; STORM LAKE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,524)
- IOWA CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 72 miles; FT DODGE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,807)
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 86 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
- IOWA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 116 miles; COUNCIL BLUFFS, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,840)
- METROPOLITAN COMMUNITY COLLEGE AREA (about 119 miles; OMAHA, NE; Full-time enrollment: 6,175)
- SOUTHWEST STATE UNIVERSITY (about 119 miles; MARSHALL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,405)
- SOUTH CENTRAL TECHNICAL COLLEGE-MANKATO (about 122 miles; NORTH MANKATO, MN; Full-time enrollment: 2,186)
Library in Rembrandt:
- REMBRANDT PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $12,512; Location: MAIN STREET, BOX 169; 5,701 books; 22 audio materials; 247 video materials; 10 serial subscriptions)