Located in Ogle County, Illinois, Raleigh is an unincorporated community located in the northwestern part of the state. The town was first established in 1852, when two brothers named E.F. and J.B. Raleigh bought a piece of land from the government and started to build a small village on it. The village grew quickly and soon had a post office, stores, churches, schools, and other amenities that made it a thriving community for many years.
According to Topbbacolleges, Raleigh is situated on the Rock River Valley, between Oregon and Mount Morris townships. It also lies near the intersection of Illinois Route 64 and US 20/IL 72 highways. This location makes it convenient for residents to access nearby cities like Dixon or Rockford with ease.
The town is home to several attractions that make it an attractive place to visit or live in the area. One of these attractions is White Pines State Park which includes fishing ponds, hiking trails, campgrounds and picnic areas for visitors to enjoy nature’s beauty while they relax or explore the outdoors. Another attraction is The Durham Museum which features artifacts from Ogle County’s past as well as items related to military history such as Civil War artifacts and World War II memorabilia from both sides of the conflict.
According to Whicheverhealth, Raleigh also has plenty of places to shop including stores like Walmart Supercenter and Walgreens Pharmacy as well as numerous restaurants ranging from fast food to fine dining establishments such as The Rack House Bar & Grill or La Cocina Mexican Grill & Cantina which offer delicious Mexican cuisine for locals and tourists alike to enjoy year-round.
In addition to these attractions, Raleigh hosts several events throughout the year including its Annual Fourth of July Festival which features live music performances by local bands along with food vendors selling traditional festival fare like funnel cakes and barbeque sandwiches; its Annual Car Show which showcases classic cars from different eras; its Annual Country Fair which offers carnival rides for children along with games of chance; its Annual Arts & Crafts Fair where local artisans showcase their handmade wares; its Halloween Parade complete with costume contests; and much more!
Overall Raleigh is an ideal destination for those looking for a quaint small-town atmosphere full of history while still having plenty of modern amenities that make living there comfortable and convenient year-round.
Population: 330. Estimated population in July 2020: 321 (-2.7% change)
Males: 163 (49.4%), Females: 167 (50.6%)
Zip code: 62977
Median resident age: 38.2 years
Median household income: $25,000
Median house value: $48,100
Races in Raleigh:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.1%)
Ancestries: United States (27.0%), Irish (13.3%), German (6.7%), English (5.5%), Dutch (3.0%), French (3.0%).
Elevation: 415 feet
Land area: 2.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Raleigh
- High school or higher: 82.3%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.3%
- Unemployed: 6.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Raleigh village
- Never married: 15.1%
- Now married: 61.6%
- Separated: 3.7%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 13.3%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +9 (+2.8%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Raleigh:
- FERRELL HOSPITAL INC (about 7 miles; ELDORADO, IL)
- HARRISBURG MEDICAL CENTER (about 7 miles; HARRISBURG, IL)
- HAMILTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; MCLEANSBORO, IL)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Raleigh:
- WILLIAMSON COUNTY REGIONAL (about 33 miles; MARION, IL; Abbreviation: MWA)
- MOUNT VERNON (about 41 miles; MOUNT VERNON, IL; Abbreviation: MVN)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS (about 50 miles; CARBONDALE/MURPHYSBORO, IL; Abbreviation: MDH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Raleigh:
- HARRISBURG-RALEIGH (about 2 miles; HARRISBURG, IL; Abbreviation: HSB)
- BENTON MUNI (about 31 miles; BENTON, IL; Abbreviation: H96)
- CARMI MUNI (about 34 miles; CARMI, IL; Abbreviation: CUL)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Raleigh:
- JOHN A LOGAN COLLEGE (about 39 miles; CARTERVILLE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 4,255)
- SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY-CARBONDALE (about 47 miles; CARBONDALE, IL; Full-time enrollment: 19,742)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN INDIANA (about 63 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 7,510)
- UNIVERSITY OF EVANSVILLE (about 70 miles; EVANSVILLE, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,440)
- SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY (about 80 miles; CAPE GIRARDEAU, MO; Full-time enrollment: 7,227)
- TRINITY THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY-TRINITY COLLEGE (about 81 miles; NEWBURGH, IN; Full-time enrollment: 2,986)
- MURRAY STATE UNIVERSITY (about 85 miles; MURRAY, KY; Full-time enrollment: 7,676)