According to beautyphoon, Quantico, Virginia is a small town located in Prince William County, about 40 miles southwest of Washington D.C. The town has a population of about 8,500 people and covers an area of only 3.2 square miles. Quantico is known for being home to the Marine Corps Base Quantico which serves as the base for multiple military commands including the Marine Corps Combat Development Command and the Marine Corps Systems Command.
The town itself is very picturesque with its rolling hills and waterfront views of the Potomac River. There are many outdoor activities to enjoy in Quantico such as fishing, hiking, biking, kayaking, camping and bird watching. There are several parks located within the town limits including Heritage Park which features a playground and picnic pavilion as well as a beautiful nature trail that winds through woodlands and marshlands.
The town has several restaurants ranging from casual eateries to fine dining establishments offering a variety of cuisines from American to Mexican to Chinese. There are also several shops and stores in the area that provide everything from groceries to clothing or home goods.
Quantico is also home to some unique attractions such as the National Museum of the Marine Corps which offers interactive exhibits about Marines’ history and service; The National Civil War Life Museum which displays artifacts related to Civil War life; The Potomac River Visitor Center which offers educational programs about river ecology; The Historic Downtown Area which features historic buildings dating back over 200 years; And The Quantico Creek Nature Trail which offers hikers beautiful views of wildlife along its 4-mile path.
According to bestitude, Quantico is an ideal place for those looking for a small-town atmosphere with plenty of activities available at their fingertips while still being close enough to Washington D.C.’s attractions. With its rolling hills and waterfront views, diverse dining options, unique attractions, shopping opportunities and outdoor activities – it’s no wonder why so many people choose Quantico as their home.
Population: 561. Estimated population in July 2020: 622 (+10.9% change)
Males: 309 (55.1%), Females: 252 (44.9%)
Prince William County
Zip codes: 22134.
Median resident age: 35.1 years
Median household income: $26,250
Median house value: $74,800
Races in Quantico:
- White Non-Hispanic (58.3%)
- Black (20.3%)
- Chinese (6.8%)
- Hispanic (5.5%)
- Two or more races (5.5%)
- Other race (2.3%)
- American Indian (2.0%)
- Korean (1.1%)
- Japanese (0.7%)
- Filipino (0.7%)
- Other Asian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (14.4%), Irish (10.2%), English (8.6%), United States (7.3%), Italian (4.1%), Subsaharan African (1.2%).
Elevation: 30 feet
Land area: 0.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Quantico
- High school or higher: 76.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.4%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Quantico town
- Never married: 29.5%
- Now married: 38.1%
- Separated: 11.0%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 16.4%
25.1% Foreign born (15.9% Asia, 4.3% Latin America, 3.7% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -116 (-17.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Quantico:
- POTOMAC HOSPITAL (about 8 miles; WOODBRIDGE, VA)
- MARY WASHINGTON HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, VA)
- SNOWDEN AT FREDERICKSBURG INC (about 20 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Quantico:
- RONALD REAGAN WASHINGTON NATIONAL (about 29 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: DCA)
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 31 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Abbreviation: IAD)
- ANDREWS AFB (about 35 miles; CAMP SPRINGS, MD; Abbreviation: ADW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Quantico:
- STAFFORD REGIONAL (about 15 miles; STAFFORD, VA; Abbreviation: RMN)
- MARYLAND (about 17 miles; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Abbreviation: 2W5)
- MANASSAS REGIONAL/HARRY P. DAVIS FIELD (about 20 miles; MANASSAS, VA; Abbreviation: HEF)
Amtrak stations near Quantico:
- 1 miles: QUANTICO (QUNATICO, RAILROAD AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: WOODBRIDGE (1040 EXPRESS WAY). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, public payphones, vending machines, paid short-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 14 miles: LORTON (AUTO-TRAIN) (LORTON, 8006 LORTON RD.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Quantico:
- MARY WASHINGTON COLLEGE (about 20 miles; FREDERICKSBURG, VA; Full-time enrollment: 3,731)
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND (about 22 miles; LA PLATA, MD; Full-time enrollment: 3,439)
- NORTHERN VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 22 miles; ANNANDALE, VA; Full-time enrollment: 19,406)
- GEORGE MASON UNIVERSITY (about 23 miles; FAIRFAX, VA; Full-time enrollment: 16,564)
- MARYMOUNT UNIVERSITY (about 29 miles; ARLINGTON, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,479)
- GEORGE WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 31 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 16,045)
- GEORGETOWN UNIVERSITY (about 32 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; Full-time enrollment: 11,674)
Private high school in Quantico:
- QUANTICO HIGH (Students: 397; Location: 3307 PURVIS ROAD SUITE 401; Grades: 6 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Quantico:
- QUANTICO MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 273; Location: 3307 PURVIS ROAD; Grades: 06 – 12)
- RUSSELL ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 227; Location: 3301 PURVIS ROAD; Grades: PK – 03)
- ASHURST ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 181; Location: 4320 DULANEY ST; Grades: KG – 03)
- BURROWS ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 129; Location: 3308 JOHN QUICK ROAD; Grades: 04 – 05)