According to biotionary, Puyallup, Washington is a small city located in Pierce County, just south of Tacoma. It is part of the Seattle metropolitan area, and has a population of around 40,000 people. The city is known for its diverse community and vibrant downtown area.
The city was originally founded by Native Americans who settled along the banks of the Puyallup River in 1833. The name “Puyallup” comes from a Native American word meaning “generous and welcoming people”. This name has since become synonymous with the city’s friendly and welcoming spirit.
Puyallup is home to several parks, including Pioneer Park and Bradley Lake Park. Pioneer Park features a playground and picnic areas, while Bradley Lake Park offers hiking trails, fishing opportunities, and stunning views of Mount Rainier.
The downtown area is full of unique shops, restaurants, and cafes that offer something for everyone. There are also several festivals throughout the year that bring together locals and visitors alike. Popular events include the annual Puyallup Fair in September, which features carnival rides, food vendors, music performances, craft vendors, and more; as well as the Daffodil Festival in April which celebrates springtime with parades and family-friendly activities.
According to IAMACCEPTED, Puyallup also has its own school district that includes seven elementary schools (including one French language immersion school), two middle schools, three high schools (one alternative school), an online learning program (E-Learning Academy), plus two universities: University of Washington Tacoma Campus located in downtown Puyallup; and Pacific Lutheran University located just outside the city limits in nearby Parkland.
With its convenient location near Seattle’s major attractions such as SeaTac Airport; Mount Rainier National Park; Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium; Tacoma Dome; Museum of Glass; LeMay – America’s Car Museum; Puyallup makes for an ideal place to live or visit for those wanting to explore all that western Washington has to offer.
Population: 33,011. Estimated population in July 2020: 35,861 (+8.6% change)
Males: 15,950 (48.3%), Females: 17,061 (51.7%)
Zip codes: 98371, 98372, 98373, 98374, 98375.
Median resident age: 34.1 years
Median household income: $47,269
Median house value: $155,100
Races in Puyallup:
- White Non-Hispanic (85.8%)
- Hispanic (4.7%)
- Two or more races (4.1%)
- American Indian (2.1%)
- Other race (1.9%)
- Black (1.5%)
- Korean (0.8%)
- Filipino (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (23.1%), Irish (11.9%), English (11.7%), Norwegian (8.0%), French (4.3%), Italian (4.3%).
Elevation: 40 feet
Land area: 12.1 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Puyallup
- High school or higher: 86.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 22.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.4%
- Unemployed: 5.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Puyallup city
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 54.5%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 5.6%
- Divorced: 12.8%
4.8% Foreign born (2.1% Asia, 1.4% Europe, 0.9% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +7,009 (+27.0%).
Hospital/medical center in Puyallup:
- GOOD SAMARITAN HOSPITAL & REHAB CENTER (407 14TH AVE SE/PO BOX 1247)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Puyallup:
- AUBURN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; AUBURN, WA)
- ST FRANCIS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 9 miles; FEDERAL WAY, WA)
- ST JOSEPH MEDICAL CENTER (about 13 miles; TACOMA, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Puyallup:
- MCCHORD AFB (about 13 miles; TACOMA, WA; Abbreviation: TCM)
- SEATTLE-TACOMA INTL (about 18 miles; SEATTLE, WA; Abbreviation: SEA)
- GRAY AAF (about 21 miles; FORT LEWIS/TACOMA, WA; Abbreviation: GRF)
Other public-use airports nearest to Puyallup:
- PIERCE COUNTY – THUN FIELD (about 6 miles; PUYALLUP, WA; Abbreviation: 1S0)
- SHADY ACRES (about 10 miles; SPANAWAY, WA; Abbreviation: 3B8)
- AUBURN MUNI (about 11 miles; AUBURN, WA; Abbreviation: S50)
Amtrak station near Puyallup:
- 10 miles: TACOMA (1001 PUYALLUP AVE.). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Puyallup:
- BJ’S BEAUTY AND BARBER COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 11; Location: 12020 MERIDIAN E STE K; Private, for-profit)
- SPANAFLIGHT INC (Location: 16715 MERIDIAN E; Private, for-profit)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Puyallup:
- GREEN RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 12 miles; AUBURN, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,568)
- BATES TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 13 miles; TACOMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,710)
- UNIVERSITY OF PUGET SOUND (about 15 miles; TACOMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,754)
- HIGHLINE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 15 miles; DES MOINES, WA; Full-time enrollment: 4,288)
- PACIFIC LUTHERAN UNIVERSITY (about 15 miles; TACOMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,265)
- CLOVER PARK TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 16 miles; LAKEWOOD, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,819)
- TACOMA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 17 miles; TACOMA, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,710)
Public high schools in Puyallup:
- GOV JOHN ROGERS HS (Students: 1,564; Location: 12801 86TH AVE E; Grades: 09 – 12)
- PUYALLUP HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,559; Location: 105 SEVENTH ST SW; Grades: 10 – 12)
- EMERALD RIDGE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,409; Location: 12405 184TH ST E; Grades: 10 – 12)
- E B WALKER HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 237; Location: 5715 MILWAUKEE AVE E; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Puyallup:
- CASCADE CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS (Students: 460; Location: 811 21ST ST SOUTHEAST; Grades: 7 – 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Puyallup:
- DORIS STAHL JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 1,076; Location: 9610 168TH ST E; Grades: 07 – 10)
- KALLES JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 907; Location: 515 THIRD ST SE; Grades: 07 – 09)
- BALLOU JR HIGH (Students: 890; Location: 9916 136TH ST E; Grades: 07 – 09)
- AYLEN JR HIGH (Students: 867; Location: 101 15TH ST NW; Grades: 07 – 09)
- POPE ELEMENTARY (Students: 857; Location: 15102 122ND AVE E; Grades: KG – 06)
- FRANK BROUILLET ELEM (Students: 820; Location: 17207 94TH AVE E; Grades: PK – 07)
- WARREN HUNT ELEM (Students: 798; Location: 12801 144TH ST E; Grades: KG – 06)
- FERRUCCI JR HIGH (Students: 782; Location: 3213 WILDWOOD PK DR; Grades: 07 – 09)
- FIRGROVE ELEMENTARY (Students: 753; Location: 13918 MERIDIAN S; Grades: KG – 06)
- WOODLAND ELEMENTARY (Students: 688; Location: 7707 112TH ST E; Grades: PK – 06)
Private primary/middle schools in Puyallup:
- ALL SAINTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 330; Location: 504 2ND STREET SW; Grades: PK – 8)
- MY SMALL SIZED FRIENDS ECE ACA (Students: 40; Location: 1822 E PIONEER; Grades: PK – 2)
- GOOD SAMARITAN SCHOOL (Students: 15; Location: 202 7TH STREET SW; Grades: 8 – 11)
Library in Puyallup:
- PUYALLUP (Operating income: $804,397; Location: 324 S MERIDIAN; 86,607 books; 9,558 audio materials; 9,284 video materials; 141 serial subscriptions)