According to Fashionissupreme, Pullman, Washington is a small college town located in Eastern Washington, about 30 miles south of the Idaho border. The population of Pullman is just over 31,000 people, making it one of the smallest cities in the state.
Pullman is home to Washington State University (WSU), and as such has a strong college town atmosphere. The city is known for its vibrant culture and unique spirit, which can be seen in the colorful murals painted on city buildings and in the frequent events hosted by WSU. Every fall, WSU hosts “Dad’s Weekend,” where parents come to campus to attend football games, take part in various activities, and visit their student’s classrooms.
The city itself contains several historic neighborhoods, each with its own distinct character. For example, Sunnyside is an old-fashioned neighborhood with Victorian-style homes, while College Hill features more modern architecture and plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance of campus. Other neighborhoods include Downtown Pullman and Northside-Southside — both of which offer a diverse selection of eateries and entertainment venues.
According to Ezinesports, Pullman also has a variety of outdoor attractions for visitors to enjoy. An extensive network of trails leads into rolling hillsides covered with wildflowers and grasses — perfect for hiking or biking adventures. The Palouse River runs through town and offers opportunities for fishing or rafting trips during the warmer months. Additionally, there are several public parks located throughout Pullman that provide playgrounds for children as well as picnic areas for families to enjoy together on sunny days.
The local economy centers around WSU — many businesses are geared towards students or faculty members with special discounts or services offered only at certain times throughout the year. Additionally, there are several large employers based in Pullman such as Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL) and Schweitzer Mountain Resort (SMR). Both companies provide employment opportunities for locals as well as visitors looking to experience life in a small college town like Pullman.
All in all, Pullman offers something for everyone — from students looking for an exciting campus life to outdoor enthusiasts seeking adventure on nearby trails or rivers; from families looking for great parks to businesspeople looking for job opportunities; from history buffs interested in exploring old neighborhoods to art aficionados appreciating local murals; from foodies tasting local cuisine to shoppers finding unique gifts at downtown stores — Pullman truly has something for everyone.
Population: 24,675. Estimated population in July 2020: 25,262 (+2.4% change)
Males: 12,617 (51.1%), Females: 12,058 (48.9%)
Zip codes: 99163.
Median resident age: 22.5 years
Median household income: $20,652
Median house value: $145,000
Races in Pullman:
- White Non-Hispanic (81.3%)
- Hispanic (3.9%)
- Two or more races (3.4%)
- Chinese (3.0%)
- Black (2.4%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- Korean (1.5%)
- American Indian (1.5%)
- Japanese (1.4%)
- Other Asian (0.9%)
- Asian Indian (0.8%)
- Vietnamese (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (22.3%), English (11.7%), Irish (10.7%), Norwegian (7.6%), United States (5.1%), Swedish (3.7%).
Elevation: 2400 feet
Land area: 9.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Pullman
- High school or higher: 97.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 65.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 33.3%
- Unemployed: 12.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 12.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Pullman city
- Never married: 58.5%
- Now married: 35.3%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 1.4%
- Divorced: 4.0%
11.6% Foreign born (7.3% Asia, 1.6% Europe, 1.2% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +1,111 (+4.7%).
Hospital/medical center in Pullman:
- PULLMAN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (NE 1125 WASHINGTON AVE)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Pullman:
- GRITMAN MEDICAL CENTER (about 14 miles; MOSCOW, ID)
- WHITMAN HOSPITAL & MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; COLFAX, WA)
- TRI-STATE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 24 miles; CLARKSTON, WA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Pullman:
- PULLMAN/MOSCOW REGIONAL (about 5 miles; PULLMAN/MOSCOW,ID, WA; Abbreviation: PUW)
- LEWISTON-NEZ PERCE COUNTY (about 28 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Abbreviation: LWS)
- SPOKANE INTL (about 66 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Abbreviation: GEG)
Other public-use airports nearest to Pullman:
- WHITMAN CO MEMORIAL (about 18 miles; COLFAX, WA; Abbreviation: S94)
- LOWER GRANITE STATE (about 19 miles; COLFAX, WA; Abbreviation: 00W)
- SNAKE RIVER (about 26 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Abbreviation: 78U)
PULLMAN (1002 NYE ST.) – Bus Station. Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
College/University in Pullman:
- WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY (Full-time enrollment: 18,110; Location: INSTITUTIONAL RESEARCH; Public; Website: www.wsu.edu/; Offers Doctor’s degree)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Pullman:
- LEWIS-CLARK STATE COLLEGE (about 27 miles; LEWISTON, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,213)
- UNIVERSITY OF IDAHO (about 35 miles; MOSCOW, ID; Full-time enrollment: 9,823)
- EASTERN WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY (about 59 miles; CHENEY, WA; Full-time enrollment: 7,852)
- SPOKANE FALLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 66 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 6,284)
- GONZAGA UNIVERSITY (about 66 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,860)
- SPOKANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 68 miles; SPOKANE, WA; Full-time enrollment: 5,564)
- NORTH IDAHO COLLEGE (about 70 miles; COEUR D’ALENE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 2,988)
Public high school in Pullman:
- PULLMAN HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 726; Location: 510 NW LARRY STREET; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Pullman:
- PULLMAN CHRISTIAN SCH (Students: 132; Location: 345 SW KIMBALL STREET; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Pullman:
- LINCOLN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 492; Location: 315 SE CRESTVIEW; Grades: 06 – 08)
- JEFFERSON ELEMENTARY (Students: 406; Location: 1150 NW BRYANT; Grades: KG – 06)
- SUNNYSIDE ELEMENTARY (Students: 370; Location: 425 SW SHIRLEY; Grades: KG – 06)
- FRANKLIN ELEMENTARY (Students: 278; Location: 850 SE KLEMGARD; Grades: KG – 06)
Private primary/middle school in Pullman:
- MONTESSORI SCHOOL OF PULLMAN (Students: 80; Location: N.W. 115TH STATE STREET; Grades: PK – KG)
Library in Pullman:
- PULLMAN (NEILL) (Operating income: $759,495; Location: 210 N GRAND AVE; 52,643 books; 3,993 audio materials; 3,606 video materials; 145 serial subscriptions)